Hesitation during acceleration - advice needed - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum > D-Series Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: Honda Civic , '93
Mods: D16Z7 + D15B7 + 4-2-1 exaust, Full Cobra Intake, 56mm exaust
colouny is an unknown quantity at this point
Hesitation during acceleration - advice needed

Hi,
My engine recently stated to hesitate in the ~1800-3200 RPM range on gentle throttle push. The feel is like someone is pulling you car backwards and suddenly everything seems normal again when i reach about 3200 RPM then vtec kicks, then red line. It seems that it doesn't matter which gear i am in. its about same between 1800-3200 RPM. The biggest headache is that when i kick it all the way down, it feels like misfire. and it does not hesitate.
Just have to mention that sometimes the car goes normally in the whole RPM range. It depends ... hmmm ... i cant say on what depends.

I must mention that i fix my car by my self, so i can check and fix many problems. But I have to admit that this one is a bit too much for me.

So here it is what i have checked/fixed until today and what mods i have done to the engine:

D15B7 block + D16Z6 head = mini me (i think it is cold like that)
Cobra air intake
polished valves:
polished intake (d1z6)
ported intake and exhaust
new NGK spark plugs
new fuel filter
new distributor CAP, rotor
new ignition coil
new spark plug wires
and some more things which i cant remember

I you need some more info i will try to provide.
Please if you have any suggestions what else i could check, fix, or you have any thoughts on this problem please feel free to express your self.

Thanks you all in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 86 200sx
Mods: wide tires and many miles
drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?
Timing advance (in degrees)?

ECU codes (how many blinks, which ecu)?

What tune are you running (be specific)?

When you say recently, what the hell does that mean (yesterday, last month, when you took it out of the shed after 6 years of sitting)?

o2 sensor condition? (get a multimeter)

To me, it sounds like your vacuum advance is too extreme, and you're misfiring in that rpm range. Turn your distributor a little (1-3 degrees) to the retarded side and try again. You'll have a little less power overall, but it should feel a lot more consistent.

How aggressive is this intake? Are you running a stock intake manifold? Are the runners really short? Have you run properly on this setup before? The more info you can provide the more options I can eliminate.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Black Hole

Car: 95 S14, 01 IS300
Mods:
mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?
dirty injectors or fuel filter!

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?drummingpariah you're still here?
Good call, what else could I have missed?

... wait, I just realized nearly ANYTHING could cause this problem. We need more info to help. This isn't an auto, is it?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Black Hole

Mods:
mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?
well, it is possible that the cap/rotor is off by a tooth or two for this to be happending as well. but timing can fix that problem.

check out your spark plugs and see what's up, you should be able to hunt down the problem starting from there. hell, it might even be your ignition coil not getting a constent connection or not firing at right timing.

and it can also be clogged fuel injectors like i stated above, run some fuel injector cleaner through your gas tank and see if that does anything.

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Timing advance (in degrees)? = 13,2 deg

ECU codes (how many blinks, which ecu)? = none

What tune are you running (be specific)? = none

When you say recently, what the hell does that mean (yesterday, last month, when you took it out of the shed after 6 years of sitting)? = about 2 weeks

o2 sensor condition? (get a multimeter) = voltage spikes are equal. pulses from 0.15 to 0.89 v

To me, it sounds like your vacuum advance is too extreme, and you're misfiring in that rpm range. Turn your distributor a little (1-3 degrees) to the retarded side and try again. You'll have a little less power overall, but it should feel a lot more consistent. = TRIED THAT YESTERDAY, NO HELP

How aggressive is this intake? Are you running a stock intake manifold? Are the runners really short? Have you run properly on this setup before? The more info you can provide the more options I can eliminate. = I WILL GET THE PICTURE TODAY, AND YES THE MANIFOLD IS STOCK
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Well, damn, I'm impressed. Succinct, accurate answers! I applaud you, colouny!

Unfortunately, my reps don't fix your car. Madass is right, it's probably fuel delivery at this point. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator installed? Have you ever used seafoam on your engine? It's probably a good idea to pull your injectors and make sure they're clean and the pintles move when you give them signal.

You may also want to check the gap on your plugs. I've had badly gapped plugs come out of a new box before (and some plugs don't come pre-gapped, but that's generally in Motorcycle Land).

It's strange that it's only a certain RPM range. Have you compression/leakdown tested this engine? I doubt your rings are fouled, but it's a remote possibility, and COULD cause a distinct lack of torque. It's unlikely enough that if you haven't already done either a leakdown or compression test, I wouldn't bother.

It still sounds like a spark/fuel delivery issue to me. If you have access to a timing light, I'd recommend zeroing in your timing exactly (it sounds like you have already) just to rule that one out completely. Other than that, my brain is fried from trying to get my turbo engine to mate to its transmission in my 240z. I'll review this tomorrow, and hopefully offer a little more useful input then.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
Unfortunately, my reps don't fix your car. Madass is right, it's probably fuel delivery at this point. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator installed? Have you ever used seafoam on your engine? It's probably a good idea to pull your injectors and make sure they're clean and the pintles move when you give them signal.
I do not have a fuel pressure regulator installed and never used a sea foam ( must ask what it is? ) I did that today, injector filter are clean, they all on signal.

Quote:
You may also want to check the gap on your plugs. I've had badly gapped plugs come out of a new box before (and some plugs don't come pre-gapped, but that's generally in Motorcycle Land).
With motorcycles i have had this problem, but with cars never. But i have checked the gaps on the plugs, its 1,1mm as it should be.

Quote:
It's strange that it's only a certain RPM range. Have you compression/leakdown tested this engine? I doubt your rings are fouled, but it's a remote possibility, and COULD cause a distinct lack of torque. It's unlikely enough that if you haven't already done either a leakdown or compression test, I wouldn't bother.
Leak down - never. Compression test .. hmmm... have done it but a while ago, will do that tomorrow just in case.

Quote:
It still sounds like a spark/fuel delivery issue to me. If you have access to a timing light, I'd recommend zeroing in your timing exactly (it sounds like you have already) just to rule that one out completely. Other than that, my brain is fried from trying to get my turbo engine to mate to its transmission in my 240z. I'll review this tomorrow, and hopefully offer a little more useful input then.
I have access to timing light, but i have never tired to zero the timing. I will also do that tomorrow.

I will also check o2 sensor one more time, this time with oscilloscope ( will have to borrow one.) well see what it will show. I will also check the fuel pressure.

Thanks again
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Black Hole

Mods:
Sea Foam's been around for long long time and it's a engine internal cleaner that I trust to use besides BG 44K. it costs about $7~8 dollors a can and you put half into your full tank of gas and other half into either straight to intake throttle body or one of the perspective intake manifold vaccume lines to be digested by the motor itself. throttle body is the easiest way to do it. there is a write up on how to seafoam on SHO somewhere, i'm sure you'll be able to search that out. but it does foul the spark plugs at times so you gotta check'em out when you do it.

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Old 07-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 1998 Civic EJ9 D14A4.
Mods: Magnecor leads,Iridium plugs,one-off Stainless exhaust,Sports cat,K&N panel filter,stainless manifold&down pipe,FSE FPR.
D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?
I've had this before on cars. If you slowly and gradually put the throttle down at a certain point it will feel like the key turned off then back on for a second?

If so check the Throttle position sensor. Its that black plastic thing that sticks out of the end of the (you guessed it lol) Throttle body! With ignition on measure between the red/black wire with the positive probe and the negative wants earthed on the engine. Slowly open the throttle it starts at roughly 0.5 volts and should smoothly rise to about 5volts ish. if faulty it will rise on voltage then just go to 0v for a brief second then carry on. Worth a try?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Hi all,
Been away for some, time.
I have solved the problem partially with hesitation. The problem was partially faulty oxygen sensor. Some time it was not working, and stuck on about 0,85 volt reading , if i am not mistaken its reads for rich mixture. and some times it was just working normally. Out of 7 test with oscilloscope 5 were ok, and only two confirmed that it is dead. I have replaced it but the hesitation disappeared only partially.
I have had some kind of SPOON sports chip for P28 ECU, finally after having it in my garage for like two years i have installed , and surprisingly it solved all my problems. Smooth throttle response, no more engine stalls on cold and mid warm engine, no more hesitation, vtec engages later and some more good things... Well actually sorts out almost all....

With the J1 connected (external memory enabled) civic is just eating 2-3 liters more petrol. I don't like it due to petrol price. As soon i disconnect the jumper the problems come back, but its more eco friendly, but hesitation just is killing me, i have to play with the accelerator get the rpm higher and after it reaches about 3700-4100 everything is back to normal.

any ideas? If need more info about the car just ask.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 2000 Civic EX
Mods: CAI, Factory Fogs, JDM Blacked Headlights, slotted and drilled rotors
gomer_canada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colouny View Post
Hi all,
If need more info about the car just ask.

Thanks for your time.
Hi Colouny, did you by any chance get your valves adjusted and set your timing?

Just curious because I am having similar problems. I guess I am going to have to go get a multimeter.

Thanks.

G.

D16Y8 - Thats my baby.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer_canada View Post
Hi Colouny, did you by any chance get your valves adjusted and set your timing?

Just curious because I am having similar problems. I guess I am going to have to go get a multimeter.

Thanks.

G.
Yes, I have adjusted the valves by my self, its now up on spec. and rechecked after 500 KM, they are OK. The timing is set at 13.5 degress.

Do you also have hesitation on sharp accelereation between 1500 -4000 rpm ? I feels like someone is holding you from behind and it suddenly disapears?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 2007 Honda Civic SI
Mods: AEM SRI with dryflow synthetic filter, Magnaflow catback, 20% tint, streetglow underbody, and a bunch of stickers to make me go fast.
jae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapyjae8908 needs rep therapy
have you checked all of the vacume hoses to make sure none of them are dry rotted or anything, I've seen that b4. also, your oil level is correct i assume? a lady came into the advance where i work the other day and her truck was vibrating really bad up to about 3000 rpm and she had 14 quarts of oil in it. the oil change place had forgotten to drain it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg0085 View Post
You think it could be the amp? At one time the amp started to smoke, but hasn't since.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae8908 View Post
have you checked all of the vacume hoses to make sure none of them are dry rotted or anything, I've seen that b4. also, your oil level is correct i assume? a lady came into the advance where i work the other day and her truck was vibrating really bad up to about 3000 rpm and she had 14 quarts of oil in it. the oil change place had forgotten to drain it out.
I am not sure about the hoses, but will check them for sure. I have seen what happens, when driving without oil. here ya go some pics after the camshaft has been sutcked and timing belt torn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0066.jpg (161.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0067.jpg (169.7 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement