b16 turbo tuning questions? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > TurboCharger

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Devildog7Vtec is on a distinguished road
Post b16 turbo tuning questions?

Hey guys. I got a del with a b16 and im putting a t3/t4 turbo set up on it. I didnt go with a chipped ecu to tune but with the primitave way of tuning. This is what i got:
apexi safc neo
12:1 fmu
check valve (heard i dont need to use when using afc)
255 pump
adj cam gears
440cc injector

Questions:
What would my settings be on the afc when used with 12:1fmu and 440cc?
What are good settings for my cam gears to tune out valve overlap and get more hp?
Do I need to use a boost timing controller to retard timing per boost or retarding the distributer like 8 degrees work?
Any info of advice would be great.

Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Car: 1996 ej coupe/1998 ls coupe
Mods: vtec, hp/liter, and a paul walker t-shirt
Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!
umm why are you asking these questions on a forum. take your car to a shop and don't be a cheap ass. get real tuning and not some garbage piggyback setup. you never tune an n/a motor gone turbo with a piggyback
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 1996 Integra SE
Mods: See the sig.
CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?CapnToll you're still here?
X 2.

Sell your current tuning paraphernalia. You don't have enough control with what you currently have to properly tune a turbo setup. Tuning with an OBD1 Chipped ECU will be wayyyy cheaper than what you spent on your current tuning parts (minus what your tuner charges you of course).

If you already have your T3/T4 turbo installed in that 1.6 of yours....well...be prepared to get beat on the street by guys like me. Same goes for the drag strip. Even a smaller trimmed T3/T4 is big for a 1.6L. If it's feasible for you, do some research, and get a smaller turbo that will work much better on that 1.6. Otherwise, consider helping spool time with a light shot of nitrous if you aren't getting the results you want at the dragstrip. I would estimate that you won't run much better than 14.0 if you tune to around 300whp. Put slicks on, and maybe you'll break into the 13s. Same power setting on a nicely sized turbo for your 1.6 would yield 12s.

VTEC: Leave it to Honda to give you turbo lag without the turbo
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
shmaptoe is an unknown quantity at this point
you will be fine with a t3/t4 on a b16. i would look for a 50 or 57 trim. who cares about spool the gearing is so tight on the tranny that it wont fall out of boost.

now, get rid of the neo and the fmu and at least get an ecu chipped. you can control ignition timing here very easily and not have to retard the whole distributor to loose power and response in vacuum. your 440cc injectors will limit you to about 300whp. also the stock map sensor im assuming you will use will limit you to about 10 psi. that being said on a say a 50 trim t3t4 with 10psi you should be roughly in the 250-280whp range. good power level for stock motor and with good slicks capable of 12s depending on the weight of your car.

81mm lsvtec 320whp
12.54@115.57

newest setup
84mm gsr/b16 head
425whp/286tq@18 psi
12.1@126 low boost drag radials
Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
g2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphereg2nickle In the rep troposphere
x4 get a real tuning setup.
ACT 12lb flywheel-ACT 6 puck sprung clutch
Quaife LSD-Full Race Traction Bar
Full Race t3/60-1 turbo kit-Ram Horn Manifold
205/60/14 BF Drag Radials
331HP at 14psi
Currently for sale
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaptoe View Post
you will be fine with a t3/t4 on a b16. i would look for a 50 or 57 trim. who cares about spool the gearing is so tight on the tranny that it wont fall out of boost.

now, get rid of the neo and the fmu and at least get an ecu chipped. you can control ignition timing here very easily and not have to retard the whole distributor to loose power and response in vacuum. your 440cc injectors will limit you to about 300whp. also the stock map sensor im assuming you will use will limit you to about 10 psi. that being said on a say a 50 trim t3t4 with 10psi you should be roughly in the 250-280whp range. good power level for stock motor and with good slicks capable of 12s depending on the weight of your car.
oh stop pleaes. a 57 trim is big for a b18c1 and you think a b16 is fine? there is a reason they only cost 600 bucks brand new....it's a generic budget turbo that makes a b16 into a dyno queen. you'd see better performance out of a gt28rs with a t3 flange. 57 timrs make an unresponsive 250-280whp.....you'll get dogged by 220whp nissans in town and stock sti's. only get a 57 trim if you want a cheap 400whp turbo. but if you want actual performance get a real turbo
Old 08-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 95 GSR
Mods: JDM ITR FE conversion. All-motor goodies. Hondata system.
uoboarder will become famous soon enoughuoboarder will become famous soon enough
I think he'll be fine with a T3/T4. I ran Turbonetics T3/T4 on my 99 Si w/ stock B16. I was able to cut a 13.87 @ 102mph on 17" streets, full interior, w/ PS and AC still attached.

I do think he should dump that method of tuning and go with a Hondata, keep the 440 injectors and the fuel pump though. Just tell the dyno tuner what you've got... maybe even call them before you get everything put on and see what they would recommend.

And 7-10psi of boost will still be a lot of fun to drive around town... especially with the stock B16 gearbox.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoboarder View Post
I think he'll be fine with a T3/T4. I ran Turbonetics T3/T4 on my 99 Si w/ stock B16. I was able to cut a 13.87 @ 102mph on 17" streets, full interior, w/ PS and AC still attached.

I do think he should dump that method of tuning and go with a Hondata, keep the 440 injectors and the fuel pump though. Just tell the dyno tuner what you've got... maybe even call them before you get everything put on and see what they would recommend.

And 7-10psi of boost will still be a lot of fun to drive around town... especially with the stock B16 gearbox.
a high 13.8 at 270-300whp on street tries is not impressive....especially in a 2600 lb car and get something better than 440 cc injectors. and we were talking about a 57 trim t3/t4. you just listed a random t3/t4 turbo. that doesn't tell us anything about what kind of t3/t4 other than that it's a turbonetics which also means nothing there are over 14 different styles of just generic t3/t4. not to mention we aren't just talking peak power....a more responsive turbo would beat up on that 1.6 and over-sized turbo in every category but a highway race to 120mph and be a helluva lot more fun to drive. i've seen rx-7's, 240sx's and n/a hondas run those times on street tires while also weighing over 100 more lbs and making 60-80 less whp

i'm not talking down to you but have you ever driven anything other than a high hp laggy 1.6? i've ridden in your exact make model year type car and it's nothing remotely fast or fun to drive except on the highway
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1991 honda crx si
Mods: swapped.
slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?
hey marques i wonder when they will stop trying to argue with you about boost hahaha youd think they would have learned by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement