jdm H22: Turbo or supercharger?? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > TurboCharger

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1991 Accord
Mods: H22a juiced
4genH22a is an unknown quantity at this point
jdm H22: Turbo or supercharger??

I heard super chargers are the best way to go on a h22. Someone let me know, and what engine work should i do first(cams,pistons,etc.)?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: I dont own a car
Mods: fuck off
Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!Transparent Bow down before me!
what year H22 is it?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 93 civic Si
Mods: B16A2 swap, Type R seats
SickRed93Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
in both cases whether it is going to be a super or a turbo charger, you would need to go for mild camshafts and low compression pistons in order to get the best performance out of both. However it is a little bit costy so i would go for direct bolt on super or turbochargers at 7psi it is safer and best specially if it is a daily driven car
personally i would choose turbocharging
Old 07-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Nas_logic is an unknown quantity at this point
you do know an h22 is one of the worst motors to turbo right? besides that, for get the cams and head for now and build up your bottom end with sleeves, low cr pistons and rods then you wont have to worry about using 12psi...... just a thought. also, i know turbos are bad A$$ but they will be more expensive(good turbo manifold,turbo,etc.) and you wont have to deal with the heat issues. im not saying thats what you should do but, thats what i would use in your case.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

It's a 2000 jdm h22. I heard that goin turbo was a bad idea on h22's that's why i was thinking a jackson supercharger
Old 07-14-2004, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 93' Prelude SI
Mods:
RedlinePrelude will become famous soon enoughRedlinePrelude will become famous soon enough
turbo or supercharger.......if you boost 7psi on either it will tear the engine in the same way, it doesn't matter........7psi is 7psi....or any other psi
h motors need new cast sleeves, forged pistons, and rods...to handle over 8psi safely....you can have the best tunning and crap done to it .....stock block, pistons and rods are stock parts and they just give up and that's it
-JDM LSD Trans
-2.3 SI redone all new seals gaskets - Auto To Manual Swap - Polished Head & Intake - 3 angle valve job - port job on head and intake mani - T3/T4 turbonetics turbo - South Florida performance manifold and 3' downpipe - TIAL 38mm wastegate - Blitz DD blow off valve - Stainless steel 2.5 charge pipes - 24x12x3 Hybrid intercooler - 3' APEXi n1 with 3' custom exhaust - APEXi AVC-R - 450cc's DSM - APEXi SAFC - Denso Plugs - Nology Wires - MSD Ingition & Coil - AEM Pulleys - CAT Removed
BODY:
-Custom Yellow Paint-Value Wide body Front Bumper-Black Widdow Sides & Rear-Z3 Fenders-Predator Hood-JDM Headlights (black housing)-APR DRAG Spoiler-18"Konig Trantum Wheels-Yokohama Parada Rubber-Koni Shocks-Ground Control Coilovers-Shaved Door Handles-Shaved Antena & Emblems-All Clear Lights
INTERIOR & AUDIO:
-Interior Painted Yallow & Silver-Sony CDX-600 Head Unit-All Alpine Speakers-4 Alpine Subs & 2 Amps-autometer tach-BLITZ 80mm Boost gauge-Autometer a/f gauge
Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
RedlinePrelude will become famous soon enoughRedlinePrelude will become famous soon enough
and the other thing is that nobody makes superchargers for 4th gens.....
you could try using one off from a 5th gen prelude(same h22 engine) but you will have to have it custom installed and it's a bitch cause there's not enough clearance by the shock housing where the brackets for the belts are supposed to go
-JDM LSD Trans
-2.3 SI redone all new seals gaskets - Auto To Manual Swap - Polished Head & Intake - 3 angle valve job - port job on head and intake mani - T3/T4 turbonetics turbo - South Florida performance manifold and 3' downpipe - TIAL 38mm wastegate - Blitz DD blow off valve - Stainless steel 2.5 charge pipes - 24x12x3 Hybrid intercooler - 3' APEXi n1 with 3' custom exhaust - APEXi AVC-R - 450cc's DSM - APEXi SAFC - Denso Plugs - Nology Wires - MSD Ingition & Coil - AEM Pulleys - CAT Removed
BODY:
-Custom Yellow Paint-Value Wide body Front Bumper-Black Widdow Sides & Rear-Z3 Fenders-Predator Hood-JDM Headlights (black housing)-APR DRAG Spoiler-18"Konig Trantum Wheels-Yokohama Parada Rubber-Koni Shocks-Ground Control Coilovers-Shaved Door Handles-Shaved Antena & Emblems-All Clear Lights
INTERIOR & AUDIO:
-Interior Painted Yallow & Silver-Sony CDX-600 Head Unit-All Alpine Speakers-4 Alpine Subs & 2 Amps-autometer tach-BLITZ 80mm Boost gauge-Autometer a/f gauge
Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
another thing is don't worry about the head.......for now at least.....it's not like you're going to build a n/a engine that would be reved higher and then you would need cams ans better springs and headwork stock head is gonna work fine with turbo or supercharger.........the biggest and most important part is to build the block if you know that you're gonna be going over 8-9psi.......and more
if you plan on like boosting 7psi and that's where you gonna leave it...then I would just leave the engine stock and as long as your have it tunnad right it should be ok........but 7psi at the most (on stock engine)
-JDM LSD Trans
BODY:
INTERIOR & AUDIO:
Old 07-15-2004, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Aight, good looking out. The only thing is the H22 isn't in a prelude, it's in a 4th gen. accord, so would it even fit or no??
Old 07-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
charliec225 is on a distinguished road
TURBO.
-with pretty low boost and proper tuning, no need to change internals...if you do want to lower compression, like everyone said, you have to also resleeve the block.
-there is no cooling option for supercharged preludes, unless you want to custom make one, so lb for lb, the turbo will give you more power with less parasitic loss.
-also, the costs will be somewhat similar for the jackson racing SC kit or a turbo kit, with the exception that the kit will be made to fit, while the JRSC will have to be modified....
-also, while you can increase supercharger boost by changing a pulley, it just creates more heat which you have no way of dealing with...with a turbo, you can increase boost as needed, so if you want to go back later and beef up the internals, you can just adjust the boost to match
-dont worry about cams unless you get some made for FI. if you're going to modify internals, do it all at once. the head can benefit from a porting and polishing, which can help prevent detonation, but it is not neccessary...just a plus.

basically i see no reason to consider a superchager
Old 07-18-2004, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 93 ford taurus (sold)/ 88 chevy beretta/ 94 civic cx
Mods: 95 d16z6 swap, CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Venom Control Module, Chipped ECU, 50 Shot....Turbo'd soon...
ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869 ginyu6869
I would go turbo as well..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement