Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Modification DIY - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda News, Honda Forum News, Acura news, Acura Forum News > Articles & News

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Modification DIY

cut and paste from my thread in the accord forum. this mod should work w/ pretty much any honda motor. and still hasn't caused me any problems. Those who live in colder climates may want to use caution doing this mod, or put it back to the stock configuration when the colder months come around. The pictures are from a 98 Accord but the coolant lines are very similar to other honda motors.

okay...this is pretty much a FREE mod. i know all you peeps out there like that...free engine upgrade....well this is pretty much an easy diy that adds about 2-5hp (i saw the dyno somewhere, but i forgot where).

There is a color code in the letters...red means you just totally disconnect those, blue you connect together somehow, and white is just a guide so you know where you are in the engine bay. Oh yeah, do this mod when your car has been sitting for a while, that way you don't spill hot coolant on yourself. You'll need needlenose pliers to remove the clamps and to pull some of the hoses off, and some coolant in case you spill too much.

I took the intake piping off so it would be easier to work with. Disconnect points A and B. The hose that came from A will connect to point C, and the hose that came from B, you just put aside. some hoses are easier to connect that others, so switch them around as you like just as long as you get point C to connect with point D.

Does the metal pipe at E look familiar? there's a coolant line that runs through there so i just moved it under the intake pipe. F is the main coolant line that runs back to the radiator. D is located just above F, near the block. The next picture illustrates that the best:

Once you get C to connect D using any combination of hoses, then you're pretty much finished. This is what the final layout should look like:

for your reference, the stock flow goes from A to B to E to D. Points A and B are input and output from the throttle body. we simply bypass those by adding the point C and connecting it to E. I have no clue how this mod adds power, but i know it does. I felt a slight gain after doing this, plus my gas mileage is slightly better. my engine temp gauge sits between 1/8-1/4 depending if it's cold or hot outside. normally it would of been at 1/4-1/2. so my guess is that the engine runs slightly cooler, thus adding more power. hell it works.

*Disclaimer*
This is only an article on what I've experienced. You may choose to do this modification of your own free will. I and SHO will not be held responsible for any mistakes you may make.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: Civic EK9 1999
Mods: TRIAL
nof3ar will become famous soon enough
any new link to the pics?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
fixed

Old 08-27-2005, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: Civic EK9 1999
Mods: TRIAL
nof3ar will become famous soon enough
nice thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: Integra GSR. See my photopost.
Mods:
flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?
What is the reason for having the coolant run through the TB?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: what car??
Mods: modifications..hrm..
GSteg has a spectacular aura aboutGSteg has a spectacular aura aboutGSteg has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtoaster
What is the reason for having the coolant run through the TB?

In colder climates, the coolant (heated) helps the throttle move. If there is nothing there to help warm it up, the butterfly may get stuck.

Pimp-mobile
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg
In colder climates, the coolant (heated) helps the throttle move. If there is nothing there to help warm it up, the butterfly may get stuck.

but here in sunny socal, there was no need for me to have that feature

Old 08-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 93 Honda Prelude VTEC
Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Yeah basically you have a hot engine and cold air coming through the intake on a winter day. You could possibly get enough difference to where the throttle plates metal would expand at different rates than the surrounding areas which could create some stickiness.

Otherwise if you live in cali,tx,fl. Your pretty much good to go year round and can do this mod no problems.

Ive yet to perform it, but the theory is good. Cooler intake charge = dense oxygen = more horsepower.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 05 Honda Civic EX
Mods: AEM V2 Intake : DIY Blacked Out Headlights : Tinted Windows
EA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphereEA_D17A2 In the stratusphere
so.. a and b get left open and you connect the tubes you took off into eachother?
Jr. Drunkard - Member #2 of the Superhonda Drunken Asshole Commission
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-- Frank Sinatra

Check Myspace Nukka!: www.myspace.com/mcvi
Old 08-31-2005, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1997 Prelude
Mods: K&N Drop in. :)
importrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of light
I think this was one of my first mods.
4 Doors used to be the best!!

Old 08-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 1995 Honda Accord
Mods: Accord: Wings West Body Kit,18" Exel Ennio gunmetal wheels, Tein S-Tech springs, 5spd, conversion, h22 swap..more to come
Sonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peonsSonny Hello down there miniscule peons
i tried doing this but could'nt figure it out for my h, can anybody help me out?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
dannt916 is on a distinguished road
huh?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 2004 Honda Integra Type-S
Mods: Greddy Lip kit, CF hood, CF hatch, CF type-T spoiler, 6000K H.I.D., Turbonics Turbo, TEIN Full coilover dropped 2 inches, 25% tints, Apexi N1
!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts!!!!!!!!1unone! is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannt916
huh?
who turned this cat loose in here...he has posted nothing but whore posts all over :bh
Old 09-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
SuperHonda Premium Member

Car: estoril blue m3/4 or your girlfirend
Mods: A few things n some style points
wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?wesside Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
Going to try this out on the h22a, hopefully everything is the same as in pics above

Slide sideways now in a ///M3
RoCk OuT wItH YouR CoCk OuT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaPPyDUgout01 View Post
I wonder if i put a picture of Wes next to my bed if I'll fuck better..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky299 View Post
i could only hope one day to give birth to your child. that would be a beautiful fuckin baby
Old 09-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
it's very similar in the h22. in fact, the directions i got this from was originally for a prelude. but there were no pictures. this was years ago, so i don't remember what site i got it from.

oh and not to mention i had it hooked up like this when i swapped my h22 in too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement