Why Hondas Suck - Page 5 - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda News, Honda Forum News, Acura news, Acura Forum News > Articles & News

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #61 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 1998 Civic EJ9 D14A4.
Mods: Magnecor leads,Iridium plugs,one-off Stainless exhaust,Sports cat,K&N panel filter,stainless manifold&down pipe,FSE FPR.
D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafto View Post
When did I say that Honda invented Variable Lift????

on another note, do you think that using 50/50 water vinigar mix to clean body paint is bad??? it works really good but I am kinda skeptical about it.
A old tale says use it to remove bird crap off your car, but don't forget it is still acid
"**This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.**"

Because learning is fun
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #62 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 1990 240 DL
Mods: A bag of Sweedish Fish
MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?MQTGSR you're still here?
Quote:

on another note, do you think that using 50/50 water vinigar mix to clean body paint is bad??? it works really good but I am kinda skeptical about it.
Varible lift/valve control ect. has been around for a while, it wasnt a recent thing that companies decided to adopt.

VANOS, VVTi, VTEC have all been around for 10 years or more.

The reason you see it more now is emissions. As stated somewhere in this thread, (I think) lots of companies used to just use more displacement to achieve mpg here because the emissions reg.'s wern't as strict. Now there getting tighter, and companies have had to do a little more serious research to get smaller motors to get the same mpg but still retain some balls.

as far as the cleaning idea, I don't see why not, vinigar is such a weak acid, I don't see it damaging paint clearcoat.

1.) 1990 Volvo 240 DL Wagon - "Violet"
2.) 1990 Volvo 240 DL Sedan - "Veronica"

I drive bricks with wheels.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car: fuzzy slippers
Mods: fuzzy dice
DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?DuderMagee you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQTGSR View Post
Varible lift/valve control ect. has been around for a while, it wasnt a recent thing that companies decided to adopt.

The reason you see it more now is emissions. As stated somewhere in this thread, (I think) lots of companies used to just use more displacement to achieve mpg here because the emissions reg.'s wern't as strict. Now there getting tighter, and companies have had to do a little more serious research to get smaller motors to get the same mpg but still retain some balls.

as far as the cleaning idea, I don't see why not, vinigar is such a weak acid, I don't see it damaging paint clearcoat.
I heard something to the effect that hond had a patent on vtec and it didn't expire till the mid 90's
Old 04-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Car: 1996 ej coupe/1998 ls coupe
Mods: vtec, hp/liter, and a paul walker t-shirt
Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!
Quote:

you said it wasn't until recently that other companies started using variable lift....you're wrong....fiat started it way before honda did for starters as well as other companies....hell even nissan has been using it since the mid 90's.....you pretty much implied that honda started it all.....when you said i needed to get my facts straight about honda not even being the first to electronic lift control....you look like an idiot and you're trying to cover your ass hence the subject change about body paint

Quote:
dude I am seriously done replying to anything you have to say.

but you do need to get your facts straight. It wasnt untill just recently that other companies offer a true variable valve lift mechanism. Sure a lot have cam phasing but not variable lift.
oh yeah? go look at overseas vehicles and still try to say that
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #65 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 1997 Acura Integra
Mods: Stock
Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQTGSR View Post

Well I am not 100% sure, but without any research (just from what I have in my head, I would have read it somewhare) I do believe that Honda was the first to offer variable valve lift. NOT invent it. whatever Darkness was talking about I dont think it made it into production. I know that companies have had cam phasing systems (which will change valve timing but not lift) for a long time. I will look into it but I am pretty sure that BMW just started using a true valve lift system.

Anyways, I had a full day of wrenching today and going to go start a new thread with a few pics.

EDIT: I found whare I read that stuff from. Good Article, Good pictures too.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ogy/index.html
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #66 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!
Quote:
Well I am not 100% sure, but without any research (just from what I have in my head, I would have read it somewhare) I do believe that Honda was the first to offer variable valve lift. NOT invent it. whatever Darkness was talking about I dont think it made it into production. I know that companies have had cam phasing systems (which will change valve timing but not lift) for a long time. I will look into it but I am pretty sure that BMW just started using a true valve lift system.

Anyways, I had a full day of wrenching today and going to go start a new thread with a few pics.
fiat invented and implements it....and it's not a recent thing that companies just started doing...lift control has been in effect/use by other companies for well over a decade.....honda was just to the first to market it how they do....it's the staple point to their vehicle line......but hondas larger motors do not make crazy hp/liter
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 1997 Acura Integra
Mods: Stock
Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Shafto Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
Straight off wiki:

Late 60's Fiat had both VVT and VVL (first auto manufactuer to offer, not honda)
1980 Alfa Romeo, VVT not VVL
1987 Nissan NVCS, VVT not VVL
1989 Honda VTEC, both VVT and VVL
1992 Porsche VarioCam, VVT not VVL
1992 BMW VANOS, VVT not VVL
1992 Mitsubishi MIVEC, both VVT and VVL
1997 Nissan VVL, both VVT and VVL
1998 Ford, VVT not VVL
1999 Porsche VarioCam Plus, both VVT and VVL
1999 Toyota VVTL-i, both VVT and VVL
2001 BMW Valvetronic, both VVT and VVL
2005 GM, VVT not VVL
2005 Suzuki, VVT not VVL
2007 Diamler Chrysler mmmm not sure if it is both VVT and VVL
2007 Subaru AVLS, both VVT and VVL
2009 Fiat Multiair, both VVT and VVL

So obviously there will be more that I did not include. Some companies that i found that offers VVL may have offered a system with VVT that I did not include. Toyota for example had systems before VVTL-i that had VVT but wasnt until VVTL-i in 1999 that had variable lift.

So Honda was the second to offer variable lift timing. After that Mitsu and Nissan offered such systems. Other companies are much more recent. So I guess I was wrong to say that only 'recently' have other companies offered a true variable lift. But there are companies that have taken a while thats for sure (Subaru, Toyota, BMW, bla bla bal) Nissan just released VVEL which I guess is all new for them, has VVL.

Anyways liek I have said before, I go crazy for engineeing, for things that when you take apart you can see that someone has given great thought to either give it good durability, good performance, good function, or really easy and user friendly to take apart. Systems that are easy to take apart and perform complex tasks just amazes me. I enjoy and greatly apprechiate engineering. It is what I do. That is probably why I like Hondas. I like anything that is high revving. From weed wackers to Humming Birds. Growing up all my family drove were Toyotas, so I think I got Japan biased right out of the gate. Although I must say I love drriving american vehicles, they give you a feeling that I like. I am probably going to get for this but I like the kinda junky feeling they have. (should mention that not American in general but ones that I have driven) I like it though. I dont know why. F1 obviously makes me pass out because of what is invlolved. Even the tiny things like the hydraulically controlled gas cap that is self actuating is mind blowing. so cool. Anyways, I have rambled enough.

To make my point, I like Hondas because there engine technology/engineering is above average. Just recently I was looking into the ABS system of my teg and found it genious, the fact that it is designed so that the back (even if ABS is disactivated) will still try not to lock up through differential pressures inside of a control valve. Amazing. They are easy to work on and rev high.

I do not think in any way that if my RC car engine had more hp/liter than your new 2011 5.0 mustang it would be faster than it. Nor do I think that Honda is the best and I wouldnt even have half a clue to make any statement on how they stand to other brands since I have not thouroully driven them all. I am so fed up with arguing on this forum, that is all that happens, I use to have fun doing so but definitally not anymore. I just want to see builds and have good user info and tech articles. Not BS 4 year old Sex jokes everywhare.

Ok, I think I have to stop and make a cup of tea. That sounds wicked awsome sauce about now.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #68 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 05 VBP Type-S / 90 H22 Accord DD
Mods: VOLKS "Honda Edition", Tein, Nitto, ITR, Function 7, Karcepts, Honda, Fujiata
Cmqqn85 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom yo View Post
actually, as dude said, they are good for the turns. im pretty sure they didnt make integra type r's for good gas mileage
or the s2k

91 Hatch ~ K24/K20 ~ Track Whore (W.I.P.)

90 Accord DX H22/LSD

FENDER ROLLING Services Available in VA ~ PM for Details
Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #69 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmqqn85 View Post
or the s2k
1. that was already covered
2. we're talking about the broad spectrum of hondas....95% of their cars are geared towards reliability and gas mileage
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #70 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 97 civic ex
Mods: mez :ninja
dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
1. that was already covered
2. we're talking about the broad spectrum of hondas....95% of their cars are geared towards reliability and gas mileage
sad thing is your looking at hondas older than 2001

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #71 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Quote:
sad thing is your looking at hondas older than 2001
well now it's 99% of hondas since the civic is the only real "performer" anymore....oh honda why do you do this to us?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #72 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!
Quote:
well now it's 99% of hondas since the civic is the only real "performer" anymore....oh honda why do you do this to us?
well as of present yes you are correct
im pretty sure they didnt make rsx-s and the civic si for gas mileage and reliability purposes only

plus you are also looking at just american hondas, honda has been into performance way before we saw it.

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #73 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Quote:
well as of present yes you are correct
im pretty sure they didnt make rsx-s and the civic si for gas mileage and reliability purposes only

plus you are also looking at just american hondas, honda has been into performance way before we saw it.
i know they have...we got all of the performance models late and in some cases not at all.......but 90% of their fleet was for economy and reliability........and they were still very reliable in by performance....they were peppy reliable and good on gas......i never said they made the si or type-s just for reliability and gas....i said hondas are great at what they are meant for gas mileage, reliability, etc....which is true...and the type s/ si still geat considerably great gas mileage even with the added weight to their platforms over earlier models...and other then 2nd gear on older type-s they are very reliable........

but sohc low output 4cyl honda engines definitely take the cake for reliability and economy
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #74 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Quote:
i know they have...we got all of the performance models late and in some cases not at all.......but 90% of their fleet was for economy and reliability........and they were still very reliable in by performance....they were peppy reliable and good on gas......i never said they made the si or type-s just for reliability and gas....i said hondas are great at what they are meant for gas mileage, reliability, etc....which is true...and the type s/ si still geat considerably great gas mileage even with the added weight to their platforms over earlier models...and other then 2nd gear on older type-s they are very reliable........

but sohc low output 4cyl honda engines definitely take the cake for reliability and economy
and whats the problem with that?

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #75 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Quote:
and whats the problem with that?
i never said there was a problem with that....i said hondas are great at what they are mean for...peppy reliable daily drivers with good gas mileage...

roger started a webpage called..."why hondas suck" not me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement