Looking for a beginner R/C buggy - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda Lifestyle & Entertainment > Honda Off-Topic Lounge > R/C & Model

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
habla_punta is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for a beginner R/C buggy

Hi guys,
I am looking to buy my cousin an RC car for Christmas. He's 14, and has never owned one. I'd like to get something he has to assemble so he can learn how to fix/upgrade it. I have been looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-58328...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-58360...QQcmdZViewItem

Are either of these any good? Are there a lot of upgrades available? I open open to all suggestions, but electric only.
Thanks a lot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1994 civic EX
Mods: nothing special ;)
Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by habla_punta
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy my cousin an RC car for Christmas. He's 14, and has never owned one. I'd like to get something he has to assemble so he can learn how to fix/upgrade it. I have been looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-58328...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-58360...QQcmdZViewItem

Are either of these any good? Are there a lot of upgrades available? I open open to all suggestions, but electric only.
Thanks a lot.
tamia is good, although for a buggy i go with a losi, or associated they are the best IMO and most hobby shops carry more replacement/upgrades for them
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 93 Honda Prelude VTEC
Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Theres a few really cool cheap cars that just came out.

The HPI RS4 Micro SPORT RTR (on-road car) - $160
The teaml los Micro-T RTR (micro truck easily run in a house) - $79
Team Losi MINI-T RTR (mini truck larger than micro, can run in house and outside easy) - $99

You can also find lots of good deals on used stuff.

losi xxx nt (nitro truck , pretty good size)
hpi rs4

You the terms RTR in your searches on ebay to find ready to run vehicles.

To be quite honest tamiya sucks balls and really has one of the most confusing product lineups in the history of man. There good , but they never make any products that compete with what everyone else does , they jsut release odd stuff here and there and sometimes come out with a competitive kit only to never hear of it again...odd.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1994 civic EX
Mods: nothing special ;)
Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
true bout tamiya, but they do have soem decent things when they do come out.....the HPI micro street car didnt just come out, ive had mine for about 2-3 years now, it it sweet but for a 14 year old i wouldnt buy a small sized car id go with a 1/10th at least theyre easier to work on and take less patience
Old 12-15-2006, 05:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
I didnt want a ready to run car or nitro, but thanks.

I went with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMIYA-1-10-DF-0...QQcmdZViewItem
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
hondapride59 is just really nicehondapride59 is just really nicehondapride59 is just really nicehondapride59 is just really nicehondapride59 is just really nice
Quote:

I went with this:
it seems that with that kit you will need a radio... look for a decent 2 channel radio, airtronics is a very good respectable brand, that has some cheaper models
Old 12-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoly
true bout tamiya, but they do have soem decent things when they do come out.....the HPI micro street car didnt just come out, ive had mine for about 2-3 years now, it it sweet but for a 14 year old i wouldnt buy a small sized car id go with a 1/10th at least theyre easier to work on and take less patience
The sport is the new model....essentially v2 , faster better easier etc etc.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Quote:

I went with this:
Get some nice 4200 packs and like a 13T motor and it should be fun , but then youll probably need to upgrade the esc to handle that type of motor. You can find some nice lrp's for next to nothing on ebay too.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sho
Get some nice 4200 packs and like a 13T motor and it should be fun , but then youll probably need to upgrade the esc to handle that type of motor. You can find some nice lrp's for next to nothing on ebay too.
Thanks guys.
It's all together and running now, and I have my first problem. Last night I noticed the car is very slow in reverse. I could do donuts before in reverse. Forward works just fine..
Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Perhaps your transmitter trim has been touched. Another is some esc's are programmable , it might have gotten off a touch.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:

OK, ready to upgrade and make it faster. Suggestions? I am really new to this..