need tips form modelers!!! - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda Lifestyle & Entertainment > Honda Off-Topic Lounge > R/C & Model

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1994 civic EX
Mods: nothing special ;)
Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
need tips form modelers!!!

ok lately ive been getting back into model building, ive done 4 f-16's and a skyline r34...but today the whammy was dropped on me...a while ago i saw a 1/32 kit for a f16 and i was like damn i want that....well my GF decided today she would buy it and suprise me now ive never EVER even back when i would build models all the time built anything of this size ( well except for that clear plastic V8 model we all had) i am wondering what are the best teqniques for this scale? normally i paint on the trees then assemble, but being how something of this scale seems like it has to be all airbrush, do i need to build it all in sub assemblies airbrushing the sub assemblies then put it all together? how do you all do it ??? just curious cause it was a $100 kit and i dont wanna fuck it up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 2005 F-150 XLT
Mods: Koenigsegg say this is more comfortable..but..more comfortable than what? Being stabbed?
christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?
Is it this one? Tamiya 1/32 Lockheed Martin F-16CJ Block 50 Fighting Falcon - 60315 - eHobbies

Damn thats some work there son, good luck. I'd just go at it slow
Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Mods: Koenigsegg say this is more comfortable..but..more comfortable than what? Being stabbed?
christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?
Build this one next, Phantoms are badass
Tamiya 1/32 McDonnell Douglas F4J Phantom II - 60306 - eHobbies
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Black Cloud

I'd like to build this one
Tamiya 1/350 USS Enterprise Aircraft Carrier - 78007 - eHobbies
Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
Ragnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peons
for best results you would paint after putting the sub assembly together to cover all the seam lines. you dont necessary need to use an airbrush, aerosol spray paint can do the job. but if you can wanna achieve a more realistic weathered look, an airbrush is the way to go.

Da|2kZe|2o
"Honk!!!!! Honk!!!!! Driver...........F*ck.......Driver?"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Is it this one? Tamiya 1/32 Lockheed Martin F-16CJ Block 50 Fighting Falcon - 60315 - eHobbies

Damn thats some work there son, good luck. I'd just go at it slow
it is very close to that one but mines not a tamiya, i forget what it is, i have it put away in the closet so i can finish this 1/72nd f16 im working on , and this 1/24th nissan r34 hoping to better my skills before i even think about touching the big dog!! modeling is very fun and relaxing, but i cant bring myself to just wing it on that plane ive got my tube-o-filler, airbrush, and arsenal of other tools ready, im just not sure im willing just yet those others you suggested are badass as well, but im not so sure im gonna like the large scale modeling, also not so sure i can afford it!! ...... Ragnarok, thanks for the advice, usually what i do now is paint on the tree, then assemble and touch up as neccesary
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
Ragnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peonsRagnarok043 Hello down there miniscule peons
i built this 1 almost 5 years ago https://www.superhonda.com/forum/f103...-stang-132056/

Da|2kZe|2o
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

that is a fuckin awesome job! did you do the wax, then apply decals then clearcoat to get them to blend like that so you cant see the lines? that is one of my major concerns is seeing the decal edges and from what ive read if you paint in flat color you have to spray a clearcoat or a wax, then apply decal, then over the top apply a flat clearcoat i dunno im used to small scale where that shit dont matter............
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
yeah you have to apply gloss clear coat first, if you apply the decal over a dull finish the decal will silver. i also trimmed the excess decal film to further prevent silvering and finished it with some dull coat.

if you need any more advice try heading over to Hobby Fanatics (Powered by Invision Power Board) , im actually a mod there but have been on hiatus for awhile. its mostly anime figures and mecha modelers but they have alot of info on models in general.

Da|2kZe|2o
Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for the help, i am just gonna have to accept that this falcon will not come out perfect, and just build away i guess, my skill is nowhere near the skill o people on that forum, especially as far as adding touches like rust, and wear, stuff like that also if you can point me in the right direction as to painting things, i find that alot of colors will not brush on good AT ALL like flat white, gloss red, almost any color i feel does not look right when brushed on is it the primer im using? the primer i used was a can i bought from autozone for a welding project i did , but maybe its not good for models?? i dunno but once primered i cant get many paints besides flat black to stick smooth and with good color tone without 5 coats....however i can airbrush over the primer with one coat and its fine, im not using cheap brushes, maybe my paint is just going bad?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
to reduce streaks when hand brushing, first you need to thin the paint down. most paints are too thick right out of the bottle, id say thin to about the consistency of cream. second, paint in multiple layers, dont try to get it all in one coat or itll pool up. third, when painting multiple layers paint in cross hatch pattern to hide streaks. also what type of paint are you using, acrylic, enamel or lacquer. acrylic are lacquer arent really suited for hand brushing since they dry much faster than enamel, but can be remedied by adding retarder.

since youre doing aircraft models this should help, its in japanese you should get the gist of it
YouTube - Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0S part 1/2
YouTube - Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0S part 2/2

Da|2kZe|2o
Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

im doing both cars and aircraft, using just basic testors square bottle paints, and i have some house of kolor paints, but some go on fine, others just are streaky as fuck and take 4-5 coats to even cover the whole piece i guess i can just use the airbrush but i never thought to thin the paint when using a brush ive only thinned when using the AB