92-96 Prelude Moonroof Conversion Install Guide/FAQ - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC
Mods: DC Sports DAC, DC Sports 4-2-1 Header w/2.5" Collector, KTeller 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Magnaflow 22" bodied resonator, Thermal R&D dual 2" tip muffler, energy suspension master bushing kit + all additional bushings, 4Bidden Shifter, 97-01 Prelude Moonroof Retrofit, JDM Black Housing Headlights
IHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapy
92-96 Prelude Moonroof Conversion Install Guide/FAQ

Project: 1994 Grenada Black Pearl Prelude VTEC 5-Spd. Mods listed in profile
Daily Driver: 2008 Nighthawk Black Pearl Civic Si Sedan. Bone stock... for now...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Mods: DC Sports DAC, DC Sports 4-2-1 Header w/2.5" Collector, KTeller 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Magnaflow 22" bodied resonator, Thermal R&D dual 2" tip muffler, energy suspension master bushing kit + all additional bushings, 4Bidden Shifter, 97-01 Prelude Moonroof Retrofit, JDM Black Housing Headlights
IHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapyIHIPrelude94 needs rep therapy
FINISHED PRODUCT!

FAQ:
Q: How hard is this retro-fit?
A: Not very. Suprisingly simple actually! About 2-3 on a scale of 1-10.

Q: Is the 97-01 Honda Prelude Moonroof a perfect fit for the 92-96 Prelude?
A: Yes and no. The size of the moonroof is exactly the same. However, the moonroof and 92-96 mounting brackets must be modified to accept the glass.

Q: Where Can I find a 97-01 Prelude Moonroof?
A: First place to start would be the Superhonda.com classified forum. Second place to look would be local junkyards.

Q: How much does the 97-01 moonroof cost?
A: I've heard anywhere from $150.00 US, to $250.00 US.

Q: How long does the install take?
A: If I had this FAQ when I started it would probably take about 1.5-3 hours depending on your skill and if you have a helper or not.

Q: How much does the 97-01 Moonroof weigh vs. the 92-96 sunroof?
A: The 92-96 sunroof weighs approximately 14.5 lbs including the headliner piece. The 97-01 moonroof weighs exactly 20 lbs, making it 5.5 lbs heavier.

Q: Can the 97-01 moonroof brackets be used in the installation?
A: No, because they are too tall to allow the moonroof to sit flush with the roof of the 92-96 Prelude

Q: Can the entire 97-01 moonroof assembly just be installed rather than doing all of the modifications?
A: No, because the entire assembly is roughly 1-2 inches larger in every direction than the 92-96 assembly

Special Thanks: Superhonda.com/Prelude Forum for being a good source of info for years now, Si_g for helping me out with some questions I had, fengxzhang for selling me the moonroof at a good price and for his Prelude's sacrifice, and finally my Dad for helping me out with the install.

~Peace

Daily Driver: 2008 Nighthawk Black Pearl Civic Si Sedan. Bone stock... for now...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

I'm going to bed... someone sticky this. haha

~Peace

Old 03-06-2005, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
ah22aselude is infamous around these partsah22aselude is infamous around these partsah22aselude is infamous around these parts
Cool sunroof conversion

nice write up and this project looks nice. but you can not use the sunshade for the 97-02 lude and that could be a trouble on very bright and hot days... but nice project none the less -- two thumbs up ...
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Si_g will become famous soon enough
^^^ not really, i ve had mine for 6 months now, and i live in FL...not a single sunny day has bothered me with light...i do have 5 % tints all around but still, its clean and the sunlight is really not that bad. I m plannin to tint my glass anyway, so the tint can be the of the same level as my windows, so it ll get even darker which i like
Old 03-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_g
^^^ not really, i ve had mine for 6 months now, and i live in FL...not a single sunny day has bothered me with light...i do have 5 % tints all around but still, its clean and the sunlight is really not that bad. I m plannin to tint my glass anyway, so the tint can be the of the same level as my windows, so it ll get even darker which i like
Which I also plan on doing I plan on doing. 50% front/moonroof, 35% rear... front tint is illegal in IL. I figure that 50% and 35% will look darker with all the windows tinted, and I have a black car.

I drove in daylight yesterday, and honestly forgot it was there a few times... haha.

~Peace

Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
here are more shots of the interior.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 95 'lude SE
Mods: some stuff
twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!twokexlv6coupe Um, 1 million? Damn!
*envies you guys*
rep for the write-up!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Thanks for the rep pts. guys! Figure I'll bump it one more time in case anyone missed it! It's in the Prelude Tuning FAQs now. Glad I could make a lasting contribution to the forum

~Peace

Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car: 95 Prelude SE
Mods: 17" Hokuto Katana rims; Alpine 12 disc changer, amp, alarm, head unit, & subwoofer; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Fidanza aluminum flywheel; Injen CAI; JDM H22A; JDM headlights; JDM power folding mirrors; Koyo radiator; Pirelli Zero Nero tires; Rzo pedals; RS*R ExMag; SMSP Stage 2 stainless header; TEIN Type Flex damper kit; Unorthodox Racing pulleys
hotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a lifehotrod You need a life
:clap great write up. rep for you.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
jmomo is an unknown quantity at this point
SWEET

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHIPrelude94
Thanks for the rep pts. guys! Figure I'll bump it one more time in case anyone missed it! It's in the Prelude Tuning FAQs now. Glad I could make a lasting contribution to the forum

~Peace
PROPS for the write up! MAKE IT A STICKY! :clap :clap
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmomo
PROPS for the write up! MAKE IT A STICKY! :clap :clap
Already is! haha

~Peace

Old 03-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
tourhcky is an unknown quantity at this point
didnt know you were in IL. im in stl mo so i shouldnt be too far away... i actually bought my prelude in Aurora IL dont mean to thread-jack just had to throw that in :byye
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
lanemeyer14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys I've done this mod too. Just wanted to mention that on my install I had to shim the whole sunroof assembly down a bit as to allow the glass sunroof to sit flush with the roof of the car. Also, I didn't trim the rubber on the glass roof down at all, so maybe that's where the height difference comes from, not sure. Anyway, wish I had this write up when I did my conversion. I pretty much just jumped in without knowing what i was doing. I had both headliners out and the whole sunroof assembly out of my car and it still only took about an 1-2 hours. Great conversion in my opinion!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
^^^same as me, i didnt know what i was doing, but it was common sense ehe i did all you did, took me about an hour...wasnt hard at all, just went with the program.

« 5th Gen Prices | - »