Honda Wiper Blades and Windshields - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum > Civic Si / SiR Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2002, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Twitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Honda Wiper Blades and Windshields

Hi there,

Does anyone else seem to have problems with their wiper blades and their windsheilds? The wipers seem to only last less than a year and half the time, they don't wipe properly and it leaves a haze. Any recommendations for replacements or solutions?

Thanks,

Rich
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2002, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
5hift gear is an unknown quantity at this point
Rain X ... HUGE diff...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: FBP 00' Civic SI
Mods: CAI, greddy evo catback exhaust, short shifter
BOBOtheCLOWN is an unknown quantity at this point
me too, the blades suck.

whats rain x?
Old 11-08-2002, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 2000 Honda Civic Si
Mods: SCCA STS legal
CivicSiRacer will become famous soon enoughCivicSiRacer will become famous soon enough
I replaced mine with Bosch Excel blades. Yeah the oem rubber windshield wipers don't last very long. My wife's Protege5 only lasted about 8 months.
Buy my Civic parts!
Old 11-08-2002, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
Tenchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone have the PIAA blades? I wonder if they are any good. But yeah man the stock ones do not last long at all.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
bosch blades + rain-x is a nice combo
Old 11-08-2002, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 2000 EBP SI
Mods:
dlord369 is an unknown quantity at this point
the only crappy thing about rain-x is its like liquid crack...

once u start using it u have to keep using it otherwise ur car gets almost undrivable in the rain if u dont keep putting more and more on....
Old 11-08-2002, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 99 Si
Mods: Suspension, minor motor work.
PupaScoopa is an unknown quantity at this point
I use some urethane wipers, they've been on my car for over a year and still work well. Try cleaning your rubber blades with rubbing alcohol to remove the gunk and make sure they're contacting the glass properly.

Buy some Rain-X and try it, you'll wonder how life existed before it! If you want to try something even better, I've used STP Rain Blade with better success. It's in a light blue applicator which you have to crack an inner glass vial and mix the chemicals together. The built-in felt applicator makes it go on very easily. You do have to wipe with a dry towel/cloth a few times to get rid of the haze. This stuff flows water off of my windshield at about 10 to 15 MPH less than Rain-X.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Rhondahonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I second with the rubbing alcohol. It removes the film, or build up on the wipers.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 1999 Civic SiR (EBP)
Mods:
Maniac will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhondahonda
Yeah, I second with the rubbing alcohol. It removes the film, or build up on the wipers.
Yea that crap on the blades makes a real mess. I notice on really hot days they sort of ooze that crap off and if you use your wipers it wipes that shit all over your windshield. The blades are also not that goo in quality, I've had my car three years and I swear I have replaced them both about 6 times. I am almost in the habit of buying them everytime I am in for an oil change.

Mine take more of a beating because of the scrapping I have to do every winter. The good thing is that they are both really cheap to buy.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
don't keep buying the honda blades... They suck. Mine sucked from the moment I drove the car off the lot. Just go buy some from an auto parts store. They will last a lot longer.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 2000 Honda Civic Si
Mods: SCCA STS legal
CivicSiRacer will become famous soon enoughCivicSiRacer will become famous soon enough
Another thing to use (besides cleaning the blades) is to use a fine grit sandpaper and fold it in half so the sand paper is facing in, and go over the rubber blades 1-2 times to renew them. Under a microscope the blade (brand new) is smooth and covers the whole wiping area. After a few months of wiping water, grit, sand, dust, and road stuff the blades become pitted.

Only bad thing about Rain-X is that it will eat away at your windshield wiper blades quicker. So in the long run you might be paying more for blades. The chemicals in Rain-X dry out your wiper blades quicker.

By the way, WD-40 and Rain-X have the same basic properties. Just for your info
Buy my Civic parts!
Old 11-08-2002, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired *********

Car: 1999 Crown Vic
Mods:
05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?
Quote:
Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
By the way, WD-40 and Rain-X have the same basic properties. Just for your info
Yeah, WD-40 stands for Water Displacement-40th attempt.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 96 Honda Civic EX coupe
Mods: I.H.E. & I.C.E. & various dress-up stuff
xivera is an unknown quantity at this point
Wtf!? Nobody has tried waxing their windshield [or other glass]!?
With a good wax, H20 will just bead off especially when you're moving well.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 97 civic sedan
Mods: dents/scratches
sillyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Personally, i don't bother with such chemicals. What works the best for me is those little springs you put on your wipers. What this does is increase the wiping pressure of the blades, they work well, especially in the mud.