Why Can't They Hear Me Coming? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Appearance & Sound > Car Audio & Electronics

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Scott A. Aruti can only hope to improve
Why Can't They Hear Me Coming?

Okay, here's then situation: I have been running two Rockford Punch XLC 15" subs in a sealed box for years now in the trunk of my '99 Accord Coupe, powered by a Rockford Punch 800.2 amp that's running in bridged mode, for maximum power to these subs. A friend of mine back in New York (I recently relocated to the Henderson, Nevada area just outside of Las Vegas) installed everything for me because he did that as a side job; Im working off the stock sixth generation Accord single CD head unit (made by Alpine for Honda) and he's got an inline converter installed because we're running the stock head unit and in order to feed the amp an RCA signal, he needed to use a converter. The rest of the system is stock -- stock mids and highs all around, 6X9s in the rear deck, etc.

Now, I watched the WHOLE installation, which took him a very long, drawn out time due to circumstances, and he ASSURED me that he has the gains of the AMP and the RCA CONVERTER turned pretty high up -- yet when Im out cruising and really, REALLY cranking the bass with a good rap or club CD, and my sunroof is open and my windows are cracked about halfway down, NO ONE in the street really stops and turns their head as I approach or as Im booming by; I have the bass cranked on my head unit's BASS knob, too, up above the half way "crease" and still, I need to bring the head unit's volume to that halfway point with the bars on the display and beyond in order for the bass to really "escape" from the vehicle, and even then, no one really turns their heads. Now, dont get me wrong -- there have been times when I have gone into a store after parking my car and someone would say "what size subs you have in there?" or "we heard you comin'..." But for the most part, on the street, especially in busy street noise, no one -- in the demographic Im targeting -- turns their head from the bass. And this is with TWO 15's...

This Rockford amp, as I said, is running bridged, as I asked my friend to install it, because I wanted MAXIMUM power going to those subs. So he wired the subs in PARALLEL and then bridged them at the amp. This Punch 800.2 amp SHOULD then be putting out AROUND 800 watts in bridged mode, yet why is it that no one on the street really can hear or feel the bass? Im being told COUNTLESS theories on this already -- that its because Im running the subs in a sealed box, because Im using the stock head unit, because the box is being closed in an enclosed trunk and not sitting in the rear of an SUV or hatchback.....

What could the "problem" be? I KNOW the XLCs are not the best in Rockford's line, but these subs already came pre installed in this box, so I bought the damn thing and had my friend hook up the amp and do the bridging and such; could the problem be the power of the XLCs? The sealed box? The fact that I dont drop my back seat when cruising around (which I refuse to do)? Not enough power from this amp? The factory head unit? Or could it be that people in fact DO hear the bass at times but just dont look?

And also, this massive sealed box is firing backwards; in other words, when you open the trunk, you see the subs in the box facing you so the bass has all that trunk space to develop what I was told is a "Bass Wave" and then reflects back into the cabin.....is this right, or should the box be switched to fire straight through the back seats?

And Im wondering.....is it NORMAL to have to turn up your head unit to half way and beyond to really get a system warmed up and booming especially if you have your windows cracked open and there's many cars around you on the street? Does this require a lot of extra head unit power?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight. :byye
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 1994 CD7, 2007 Z4 3.0si
Mods: one time i tried to list them and i ran out of room...if you really want to know ask me.
street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!street_accord94 Um, 1 million? Damn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A. Aruti
Or could it be that people in fact DO hear the bass at times but just dont look?
Many people just don't care to look, in fact many find constant bass pumping annoying.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by street_accord94
Many people just don't care to look, in fact many find constant bass pumping annoying.
Thanks for your thoughts, Street....I had always questioned this as a maybe, but for the life of me I cant understand why that certain demographic you would THINK would turn their heads when they hear a booming car -- like the inner-city teenage population or such -- dont when Im rolling by with the volume REALLY turned up...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 99 Prelude Type SH, 83 RX7 GSL
Mods:
expierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peonsexpierence97 Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
Originally Posted by street_accord94
Go figure. Listen to your music at a reasonable level. Don't turn it up and have the windows down, that's gay and annoying.
Prelude SH *RIP*
Mazda RX7 *SOLD*
Autocross is for drivers.
Drag racing is for cars.

Prelude FAQ
Old 10-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expierence97
Go figure. Listen to your music at a reasonable level. Don't turn it up and have the windows down, that's gay and annoying.
Okay, thank you for your heartfelt input on this. :clap
Old 10-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?
first of all, im not really hating but you are just asking for trouble if you want people to hear your stuff. if people know you have a system, then you will be an easy target for theft. trust me, it happens and you don't want your shiet stolen.

second of all most people think when people bump its annoying. when i hear someone bumping hard i just think they're little punks who are trying to show off. so not only you might get your shiet stolen but also but you might get people to hate you as they know you as "the person who bumps their shiet and tries to act hard." trust me a lot people think this way and you would be only asking for trouble.

if you like the bass that high and loud then thats fine, but to do just to show off IMO is truly gay.

oh another thing, if you want it to get louder, get a ported box and tune it very high. sealed boxes don't get as loud as they are mainly used for SQ subs. another thing 800 watts in general is a lot but not that much to turn heads. many spl people run 1500-2000 watts to their system. lol a little advice if you want it to get louder.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
VTECnicalAccord has a spectacular aura aboutVTECnicalAccord has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterassman52
first of all, im not really hating but you are just asking for trouble if you want people to hear your stuff. if people know you have a system, then you will be an easy target for theft. trust me, it happens and you don't want your shiet stolen.

second of all most people think when people bump its annoying. when i hear someone bumping hard i just think they're little punks who are trying to show off. so not only you might get your shiet stolen but also but you might get people to hate you as they know you as "the person who bumps their shiet and tries to act hard." trust me a lot people think this way and you would be only asking for trouble.

if you like the bass that high and loud then thats fine, but to do just to show off IMO is truly gay.

oh another thing, if you want it to get louder, get a ported box and tune it very high. sealed boxes don't get as loud as they are mainly used for SQ subs. another thing 800 watts in general is a lot but not that much to turn heads. many spl people run 1500-2000 watts to their system. lol a little advice if you want it to get louder.

This guy asked this on the last 2 versions of SHO. DJ Scotty, then whatever the hell his other name was. MASSIVE TOOL SHED.

RIP---1999 Accord Coupe 4 cyl.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
VTECnicalAccord has a spectacular aura aboutVTECnicalAccord has a spectacular aura about
Proof of toolness:
https://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108857

Old 10-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
More proof of MASSIVE toolness:

https://www.superhonda.com/forum/show...6&highlight=99

Come on playboy, you think I wouldn't call you out on this again?

Old 10-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
streetracero1 has a spectacular aura aboutstreetracero1 has a spectacular aura about
your box needs to be ported, you need to get atleast 1000 watt amp. and change your radio. the rca coverter might be 1 volt pre outs at the most get a new radio such as an aftermarket pioneer or an alpine. i would change the radio first then if thats not enough for you get a ported box all else fails get a bigger amp. but def change the radio
Old 10-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?misterassman52 What did you do to deserve all this rep?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECnicalAccord
LMAO. wtf is this foo doing then. he hasn't changed the system or what? forget this fool.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 93 civic
Mods:
strtciv93 is just really nicestrtciv93 is just really nicestrtciv93 is just really nicestrtciv93 is just really nicestrtciv93 is just really nice
its probably because you bought the preloaded box. those usually arent the greatest made boxes

SOHC biotch
Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
streetracero1 has a spectacular aura aboutstreetracero1 has a spectacular aura about
you use to be an editor for car sound and performance. remind me to not buy that mag ever. your a joke dude, if your going to bullshit atleast make it about something you actually know about. you are a tool. i mean don't come in here and say you use to work for a car audio mag then ask questions about basic shit. besides if you really were an editor you would be able to buy alot better equipment and not have to have your friend hook up your system you suck
Old 10-29-2005, 12:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 95 accord ex
Mods:
Accord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant futureAccord Nation03 has a brilliant future
Damn, i got more heads turned and i had two 12's and a 600 watt amp. Anyways, people will just get annoyed at you, When i had the system, this random guy just looked at me and told me, "turn that shit off" . Plus he's right about asking someone to steal your shit. I did love showing people up you had shitty systems though. I hope they're not a lot of cops around your area cus they would probably pull you over. This is why i sold my system. How did you manage to fit two 15's in an accord coupe?? Some people will turn heads and think its cool, but many would just ignore you. Why would you want attention anyways? What are you trying to prove? Also don't be suprised if you go deaf within a few years.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracero1
you use to be an editor for car sound and performance. remind me to not buy that mag ever. your a joke dude, if your going to bullshit atleast make it about something you actually know about. you are a tool. i mean don't come in here and say you use to work for a car audio mag then ask questions about basic shit. besides if you really were an editor you would be able to buy alot better equipment and not have to have your friend hook up your system you suck
I think it's safe to say this post has been pretty much killed by me and the use of the search function, LOL. I give him a year and he'll be back.