About checking tranny fluid for a 5spd. - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2002, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Leon21 is an unknown quantity at this point
About checking tranny fluid for a 5spd.

Ok, i just got my car and i dont know where to look,and i dont have a civic hand book.
Where the hell do i check it at??
The i looked in all the normal plces but thre is no stick there??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2002, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
ZexCivicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
there's no stick for clutch fluid. Its a small res near the power steering fluid....I maybe wrong.....but I don't feel like going in the rain and looking
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Zex your talking about the cluth fluid, hes askin about tranny......In Mt transmissions its not a stick its a bolt u loosen and inside dip your finger to see the level of the fluid.

If u just got the car be good to yourself and just change it.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
BlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peons
Re: About checking tranny fluid for a 5spd.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leon21
Ok, i just got my car and i dont know where to look,and i dont have a civic hand book.
Where the hell do i check it at??
The i looked in all the normal plces but thre is no stick there??
Here, look at this pic...
You check it by pulling the plug out of the 'fill hole' and sticking your finger in there. It should look like you've been dating Oprah...
Old 06-15-2002, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
B16a2vtec95 is an unknown quantity at this point
how do u know if it is good or not? i did a swap and its hard to get into 3rd and rev. could it be my tranny fluid.. because the guy who had the engine before me never had this problem
Old 06-15-2002, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
White93Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
According to the handbook just fill it up to the top after you have drained out the old. An extension on the end of a spout will make it a lot easier.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Re: Re: About checking tranny fluid for a 5spd.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Here, look at this pic...
You check it by pulling the plug out of the 'fill hole' and sticking your finger in there. It should look like you've been dating Oprah...
So basially what??
Just unscrew the fill plug screw and dip my finger inside??
Old 06-15-2002, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
BlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peons
Re: Re: Re: About checking tranny fluid for a 5spd.

Quote:

So basially what??
Just unscrew the plug and dip my finger inside??
Yep, just like dating Oprah!

Actually, if it's truely full, you should see a little oil drooling out of the hole when you pull the plug. If it isn't, stick your 'little pinkie' in her and use it like a dipstick. Not very high-tech, I know, but that's the way it is...
Old 06-15-2002, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
I think i am lost becuase my tranny doesnt even look like that on the passenger side.I guess an lx is different.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
I think i am lost becuase my tranny doesnt even look like that on the passenger side.I guess an lx is different.
Hmm... sorry if I'm being too rudimentary, but you do realize that you need to get under the car to check the tranny oil, right??? You can't do it from above. The black and orange thingie is the axle if that helps you find it...
Old 06-15-2002, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
*bangs head on keyboard* yb u0 wwj wk 087jh tnvtuvpw9t

Ok now i understand,that makes more sence now.
So that pic was taken from underneath the car?
Old 06-15-2002, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
*bangs head on keyboard* yb u0 wwj wk 087jh tnvtuvpw9t

Ok now i understand,that makes more sence now.
So that pic was taken from underneath the car?
Yep, and the 'fill plug' is toward the firewall.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
CivicSiBeast is an unknown quantity at this point
if its not full, what oil do you recommend BDC?
Old 06-16-2002, 12:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by CivicSiBeast
if its not full, what oil do you recommend BDC?
If you don't know what's in there, drain it and put in new fluid. I change my gear oil every 15000 miles.

The only oil to use, IMHO, is Red Line synthetic oil. I use Red Line MTL in the winter and Red Line MT-90 in the summer. It's a about $8.00/qt and a CiViC takes 2-quarts. Here's a pic:
You can also use Honda OEM tranny fluid, but I don't recommend it 'cause it's just regular old dinosaur juice. If you're in a pinch you can actually use any API GL-4 gear oil. Whatever you do, don't use API GL-5 gear oil or motor oil; they'll ruin your tranny.

Red Line is the best...
Old 06-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
White93Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything I've read recommends just using regular 10W-30 motor oil. Why will the motor oil ruin your transmission? Does it gunk it up or something? Thanks for the info.