A/C not so cold...replace freon??? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 96 Civic EX 4-dr / 01 Lexus IS300
Mods: CIVIC: NONE - just loving the 35-40 mpg :-D / LEX:K&N filter, Tsudo Cat-back, clear lights where applicable
civicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problem
A/C not so cold...replace freon???

My civic EX (98) has 93,000 miles and the ac just isn't that cold. Could it be that I need to replace my freon? How do I do that? What else would help this?
Thanks for all help.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Black Hole

Car: 95 S14, 01 IS300
Mods:
mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?
refill your AC if you havn't already.
it's best to empty your AC piping system then fill it agian from the empty.

Grease monkey does it for cheaper then most places.

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods: CIVIC: NONE - just loving the 35-40 mpg :-D / LEX:K&N filter, Tsudo Cat-back, clear lights where applicable
civicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problem
luv the sig..
And this may be stupid, but what kind of freon do I fill it with, and where can I get it?

Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: '98 Civic Hatch DX
Mods: Carbon fiber hood, 15" Si rims with Kumho tires, 99-00 taillight conversion, DC Sports Lower Tie Bar, AEM Short Ram intake
hatchbackgirl is a jewel in the roughhatchbackgirl is a jewel in the roughhatchbackgirl is a jewel in the rough
See what type of ac unit you have (it should say on the unit itself), I actually saw some refill kits at Target. One of those should work, I imagine. I think they were like $30-$40 bucks. If you know what you're doing, you could save yourself some money.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Black Hole

Mods:
mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?mad-ass you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackgirl
See what type of ac unit you have (it should say on the unit itself), I actually saw some refill kits at Target. One of those should work, I imagine. I think they were like $30-$40 bucks. If you know what you're doing, you could save yourself some money.
well, it's good to empty your whole system when your AC isn't all that cold.

reason being..
your car is from late 90's, assuming it's in between 97 to 99 ish.
and from then to now, you probably didn't get a AC changed, instead, probably just refilled it, or didn't even touch it at all.

if that's the case, you are using the AC gas from almost 10 years ago. k

so, for the sake of the car, empty and refill it

and that can of refill you are talking about does cost around 30~40 dollors like you said.

but with that money and about around $60, u can get the AC exchange like it's brand new

i say go for the empty and refill at auto shops like grease monkey

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Old 07-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
could have a bad condenser too

if the refill doesn't fix it, then i'd lean toward that.....when a condenser gets clogged or just quits doing it's thing (getting rid of heat in the system) then you get warmer air

hondas are notorious for this from the mid 90's on......before that, it's not so bad

our old 97 accord ex suffered from a clogged condenser.....everything else on the car was immaculate

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Old 07-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass
well, it's good to empty your whole system when your AC isn't all that cold.

reason being..
your car is from late 90's, assuming it's in between 97 to 99 ish.
and from then to now, you probably didn't get a AC changed, instead, probably just refilled it, or didn't even touch it at all.

if that's the case, you are using the AC gas from almost 10 years ago. k

so, for the sake of the car, empty and refill it

and that can of refill you are talking about does cost around 30~40 dollors like you said.

but with that money and about around $60, u can get the AC exchange like it's brand new

i say go for the empty and refill at auto shops like grease monkey
Well, I really don't know what I am doing, so Grease monkey is sounding like the way to go...unless there is a DIY on how to flush and fill AC fluid.
I've looked on here, but couldn't find one.
Man, I hope my condenser is ok...that would suck to replace that mug. :bh
Reps given for ALL replies...thanks to all so far.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Black Hole

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicilian
Well, I really don't know what I am doing, so Grease monkey is sounding like the way to go...unless there is a DIY on how to flush and fill AC fluid.
AC isn't a fluid
it's form of a gas, almost like a propain gas

go grease monkey mang..

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Old 07-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 98 civic ex, 05 lexus is300
Mods: b18b1 w/ gsr tranny; lexus-SRT intake & R-ECU
IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass
AC isn't a fluid
it's form of a gas, almost like a propain gas

go grease monkey mang..
deadly gas at that, and its r-34 refrigerant, not freon anymore
-Proverbs 16:31

"“The mark of great sportsmen is not how good they are at their best, but how good they are their worst.”
- Martina Navratilova

Old 07-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IISaiNtII
Proving my point perfectly that I am clueless on this topic...Grease Monkey here I come!
Thanks, folks!! :byye

Old 07-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Black Hole

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicilian
Proving my point perfectly that I am clueless on this topic...Grease Monkey here I come!
Thanks, folks!! :byye

tell me how long it took.
i wasn't employeed at Grease Monkey, but I do hang around there alot.
i know all the menagers and even the store owner :w00t
when they get no cars and maybe 1 car an hour, i do all the work.

and when I did the AC exchance with BG mashine, it took me about 30 mins to do the whole process :clap

well, and free service to my car as well :evil

My S13/S14 Build Thread
Old 07-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 93 civic eg8.
Mods: full of dust, rebuilding...20%
commador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by IISaiNtII
r-134a is freon....

also, the problem with my ac being warm, is that heat from the header is soaking into the low side line.

You cant touch either the high, or the low lines after running the car even for a few minutes. In fact, the low side is hotter, and Im assuming its because its closer to the header than the high. This is my only guess because the pressure is at 36psi with the compressor running.

Fan turns on and everything works. Just the ac is warm, and both lines are hot. Now mind you, this is only after driving. Otherwise, the lines are cool. So I guess my only option is to wrap the lines with an insulator, and wrap the header with heat wrap.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 98 civic ex, 05 lexus is300
Mods: b18b1 w/ gsr tranny; lexus-SRT intake & R-ECU
IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by commador
r-134a is freon....
i knew r-34 was right, but not quite right...
-Proverbs 16:31

"“The mark of great sportsmen is not how good they are at their best, but how good they are their worst.”
- Martina Navratilova

Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Type-S Member

hehe, glad I started this thread, cuz it looks like we're ALL learning something...

Old 07-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car:
Mods:
igo4bmx will become famous soon enoughigo4bmx will become famous soon enough
get it checked out
it could be
bad compressor
bad expansion valve
clogged a/c filter..

getting it tested and seeing the pressure levels in the low and high side will help determine your problem