Microsoft names almost 50 apps that require SP2 tweaks!!! - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda Lifestyle & Entertainment > Computers

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Dirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphere
Microsoft names almost 50 apps that require SP2 tweaks!!!

i wouldnt install sp2!!!!
itnews.com.au

Quote:
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Microsoft names almost 50 apps that require SP2 tweaks

Staff Writers, TechWeb News

Microsoft has posted a list of nearly 50 applications and games -- some from Microsoft, others from third-party vendors -- that won't work properly with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) without some tweaking.

In a document published to its Knowledge Base support site, Microsoft detailed the problems that the applications will have with SP2's Windows Firewall, which is automatically enabled in the update.

"Client applications may not successfully receive data from a server," said Microsoft in the document, and "server applications that are running on SP2 may not respond to client requests."

Among the types of programs affected are file-sharing applications, email clients, remote desktop apps, and multi-player games.

The list includes anti-virus software from Symantec, Macromedia's ColdFusion MX Server Edition, and network management applications from Computer Associates. Several of Microsoft's own applications are also on the list, including Microsoft's Small Business Server 2003, Visual Studio .Net, and Systems Management Server 2003.

The necessary fine-tuning involves opening ports closed by Windows Firewall so that the various applications can access data -- such as anti-virus updates -- or be accessed remotely.

Last week, Microsoft told customers and partners that SP2 "breaks" Microsoft CRM 1.2 and won't work at all with Microsoft CRM 1.0.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 1997 Hatch Cx
Mods: Mini me
00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem00BLACKSI has a Rep problem
WTF are those idiots doing, why release something that doesn't completely work right. And to top it off, it doesn't work right with their own shit!!!
RIP 95 Black HB Si Stolen and Totaled on 07.24.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU97GS-R
gotta keep it exciting bitches like i said before. i'm so jdm, both of my nuts are on the right side
Myspace

Vice President of "The Egg Hatching SHO Crew"

~~~~~~~~~~
WANTED : 96-98 Ex Partsclick here to see shit I need email me [email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 2001 Audi TT Roadster Quattro
Mods:
b16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond reputeb16a2racer has a reputation beyond repute
this has been the same case with almost every previous major OS. of course nothing is perfect and i think its awesome that they're offering a major service pack to correct a huge percentage of the problems that others wouldn't bother with. if microsoft made no effort to correct these problems, you wouldn't know they are there and you'd have nothing to say... but because they themselves make it a big deal and release this patch, we assume microsoft sucks? i don't think so.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car:
Mods:
Ix dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphereIx dOc xI In the stratusphere
twas why i havnt installed it yet
Old 08-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
Dirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphereDirrty In the stratusphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16a2racer
this has been the same case with almost every previous major OS. of course nothing is perfect and i think its awesome that they're offering a major service pack to correct a huge percentage of the problems that others wouldn't bother with. if microsoft made no effort to correct these problems, you wouldn't know they are there and you'd have nothing to say... but because they themselves make it a big deal and release this patch, we assume microsoft sucks? i don't think so.
they do it on purpose to make more money.....do u know how much it costs for 15mins of microsoft phone support! $150AUD :eek
i know this coz customers have told me....then they just bring it to us anyways...
Old 08-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
sum more info on sp2....
http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Mods:
f0rk is an unknown quantity at this point
for the most part, you will only run into problems with applications that weren't coded very securely - including Microsoft apps. Some things that require a lot of low-level access could also break, but the end result is a more secure OS which is a step in the right direction in my book