Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2000 Honda Accord 2-door EX and see the error p0505, Idle Control System Malfunction.

I am wondering if anyone else saw this before and what the fix is most likely?

I took it to an auto parts store and they said it could be a number of things.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i had a tuneup and found that one of my smarkplus had almost fried the boot and coil... had to replace everything and get the pieces out of the engine slot.

Anyway we reset the check engine light and it hasn't turned on since. Maybe that was the reason...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
First step: check your coolant! this valve will not operate properly if there is low coolant, as coolant runs directly into this valve to help warm it up and make it happy. :)

Second: check for any vacuum leaks! go to autozone and pick up a can of starter fluid or throttle cleaner and spray around likely sources. any change in rpm indicates the location of your uncontrollable idle.

Third: properly clean the throttle body. spray your can of throttle cleaner into the intake with the engine running, feather the throttle to keep the engine barely running. this will get the most throttle cleaner scooting through the iac valve.

Forth: replace the valve with a known good one. depending on milage, these things can get gunked up.

i don't think your fried plug wire caused this code before it would cause a misfire code but if your code return, check this stuff out.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.