Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 civic Si and am looking to buy an intake system and headers.

I have been trying to find reviews on the AEM V2 compared to the AEM cold air intake or injen airtake.

Does anyone know about the AEM V2 and where it sits in the engine bay and how easy is it to install either the V2 or the cold air intake (CAI)

Headers - what is the difference between ceramic and stainless. Is it better to go with a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 header in a 2000 civic Si. What is the best brand, i was looking at DC Sports or greddy.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just get an intake.. go to www.passwordjdm.com and look at their intakes.. they are dyno proven to give you good gains and better throttle response.. don't get a header unless your going to stay N/A... if your going to boost then a header will de a waste. A 4-2-1 is better for low to mid range gains. a 4-1 style will pull harder in the upper RPM's

·
Registered
703 Posts
bottom line an intake is an intake, so just get whatever you want but don't expect a v2 to make a difference over the regular cai, you'll NEVER feel the difference, the c/f intake is more for bling in my opinion but it does look sweet and thats why i'll get the one from memory fab which is the same but ALOT cheaper, 4-1 is more for top end & 4-2-1 is more for bottom and mid range, but once again don't expect a big gain ;) stainless & ceramic are just the finishes and thats mearly it, if you want a good one get a comptech or something of that BUT they are expensive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold /short

Thanks for all the responce back, one last question?

How good is the bypass valve for the CAI, I live in florida and I read you really have to drown the intake in water to hydrolock.

Is it worth going with short ram over CAI and is thier a difference in the noise output?

Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
chynes said:
Thanks for all the responce back, one last question?

How good is the bypass valve for the CAI, I live in florida and I read you really have to drown the intake in water to hydrolock.

Is it worth going with short ram over CAI and is thier a difference in the noise output?

Thanks
short ram will be a lil bit louder, and yes you pretty much have to floor it in water or fly through a huge puddle at wot to kill a motor

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
J_fukin_t said:
short ram will be a lil bit louder, and yes you pretty much have to floor it in water or fly through a huge puddle at wot to kill a motor
Thats where your wrong, I blew my motor with an AEM V2 by hitting a puddle while slowing down in second gear at like 20 mph. my foot was on the brake so the throttle was as closed at it was going to get. I still blew my shit right up.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
2000redCIVICsi said:
Thats where your wrong, I blew my motor with an AEM V2 by hitting a puddle while slowing down in second gear at like 20 mph. my foot was on the brake so the throttle was as closed at it was going to get. I still blew my shit right up.
Then I would have to say you already had water in the intake or your motor. I have ran over plenty of deep puddles in my old Si with a cai and never had any probs. Oh and I didn't have a bi-pass valve. Man I miss my Si :(

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Engines get waterlocked all the time from cold air intakes.

It's just a good idea to get either a short ram or a 2 piece cold air and remove the extention in the winter (what I do).

It's not like you are sucking up super hot air in the winter anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
chynes said:
Is the bypass filter really worth it, does it work? and will it work on other models besides the AEM (work with the CAI injen)

Thanks Chris
I have heard that the Intake Bypass Valve actually makes you lose power.. I would just get a CAI intake and put a cut in in the middle of it so you can run a CAI for everyday driving and a SRI when it rains hard...

Check PM.. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
teknoracing said:
The bypass i think is worth it. Sure less power in the winter during the rainy season but do you really need the 2 extra HP in bad weather??
I would have to agree with tekno. I have a bypass valve on my civic and the only time it will have less power is if there is a drop in pressure in the intake. That is when the bypass valve closes off airflow from the cone and uses its own ports to draw air. I would go with it. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most of the intake produce the same amount but the bypass is a waste unless you have overflowing pressure around the engine, the v2 performs a bit better although it is not worth the price compared to the cai. Headers are good and can calm the tone of your car the stainless steel does keep cooler than the ceramic but not too much, and you can get it if you want n/a or supercharged, kamakaze is a good brand if you like hi-revs although dc has a good 4-2-1 ceramic that is good just for street usage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.