Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2001 Accord 4 Cyl 5 speed manual coupe that every once and a while, will shut itself off while coasting.

Basically I will be coming up to a stop sign or a stopped car, I will fully depress the clutch, take the car out of gear (neutral), release the clutch, and coast till I need to start applying the brake. Sometimes (its not consistent) the car will just shut itself off, and all of the warning lights will come on, on the dash. I can turn the key and start the car without any difficulty while still in motion, and then go on as if nothing happened.

When the car stalls, it does not shake, rattle, or make any noise, and if it is day time when it happens, I don't even notice the car stalled until I try to apply the brake, or try and accelerate.

This never happens to my girlfriend. The only difference between the way I drive and she drives, is she will do the same thing that I do above, but she will always have the brake depressed (if even lightly), or have the clutch engaged while she is coasting.

Because it happens infrequently (and only to me), I have not been able to identify any other trends. I believe for the most part that the car is usually warmed up at the point of stalling. It has never happened while completed stopped (with the clutch released, and in neutral), only while in motion.

I have been driving manual transmision for over 10 years, and non of my other cars have ever had this problem. I also drive on a daily basis a 5 speed manual 99 prelude, and it has never stalled on me once.

Any ideas?

I took it to Honda, and they could not reproduce the problem, so they said nothing is wrong. =) I love that answer.

Thanks for your help,
I really appreciate it.

Lonwa

·
Registered
579 Posts
sounds like a faulty eletrical ignition switch but thats just my guess???? :confused

I would pull the switch and check for burn marks. I would normally just guess a vacuum leak however the issue would produce itself alot more often. Check with honda to see if there was a recall with your ignition switch first. This is the only advice I can give you bro.

Peace

·
Registered
38 Posts
are you by any chance, turning the key to the "off" position?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts