Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A decade after Mazda introduced its first Special Edition Miata, painted British Racing Green (BRG) to commemorate the English roadsters that inspired the popular Japanese sports car, the Zoom-Zoom wizards release another BRG model, this time based on the more powerful and refined 2001 Miata. They hope this 3,000-unit run of cars sells out just as quickly as the original 1991 BRG did 10 years ago, when all 4,000 copies were gone in 90 days.

Of course, British Racing Green paint is the most obvious feature of this 2001 Special Edition, and the chromed aluminum fuel door is an interesting touch. With a khaki-colored vinyl top, satin-finish 16-inch wheels and the standard fog lights and projector-beam headlights of the Miata LS, the BRG SE is thankfully devoid of gingerbread like a rear spoiler and a body kit, looking taut and lean like a true classic should. Inside, Mazda provides a Nardi wood-rimmed steering wheel and shifter knob, a wood e-brake lever and special floor mats and badging.

Since the Special Edition is essentially a cosmetic treatment applied to a Miata LS, it's powered by the same 155-horsepower inline four mated to a six-speed manual transmission sending power to the rear wheels. It goes on sale this spring for $26,195, including destination charge.

Mazda rolls out a special edition (sometimes two) of the Miata each year, appealing primarily to Miata Club of America members. They are made in small numbers and cost more than other models. Unless you're a certified Miata freak, you'll likely be better served by the less expensive and just as entertaining Base and LS versions of this street-legal go-kart

· Registered
3,117 Posts
I thought in actuality they made 142hp not the advertised 155? It was something to do with the cat. There was a recall. I wonder if they still advertise 155?

· Registered
9,883 Posts
rumorsHG, is it me or the rumors section is kinda dead. are you busy or soemthing? i remember the last SHO version, it was a hot section. now it seems kinda dead. whats going on? is there like no mroe news or soemthing? or has everyone gone domestic? we are getting more news abotu domestic than anythign else. :confused:

· Registered
28 Posts
I think it's because it's mid-model year for the manufacturers. During the summer you start to get more news about cars that will go on sale in the fall, and then in the fall you get news about cars that will be introduced at the various auto shows.

I think we also lost a few of the more frequent posters from the old SHO.

· Registered
1,701 Posts
danmakG60 said:
I thought in actuality they made 142hp not the advertised 155? It was something to do with the cat. There was a recall. I wonder if they still advertise 155?

They actually offered to refund the car to the buyers at no cost because they were so afraid not to have the Miata's rep tarnished. Most people kept it and got like a 2k cash rebate though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.