Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2003 Mercury Marauder sedan goes on sale this summer. Pricing will be announced closer to launch. At this time, the convertible is purely a concept, but public reaction will be closely monitored to gauge whether sufficient demand
exists to justify a full development program.

The Marauder Convertible concept's monochromatic body is finished in black gloss paint. Dark-tinted headlamps and taillamp bezels flow from the black exterior to continue the serious, but understated appearance. Unmistakable but subtle performance cues include the high intensity Cibié fog lamps integrated into the fascia, the three-inch chrome exhaust tips and the "Marauder" name embossed on the rear bumper.

The car's lowered front suspension gives it an aggressive, muscle-car stance that is reinforced by the large 18-inch wheels and tires. The classic image of the Roman god Mercury is cast into each of the wheel caps to further communicate the car's personality and heritage.

Like the Marauder sedan, the convertible is true to classic Mercury and Marauder heritage with added luxury touches for comfort. Inside, dual eight-way-power reclining bucket seats are appointed in rich black leather with classic French seam stitching derived from vintage Marauders. The seats have extra padding for better thigh, lumbar, and shoulder support. A modern rendition Mercury god's head is debossed into the front seat backs.

If you ask me, its your typical police cruiser except 2 door and nastier! Therefore, a POS.

4.6L V8 makes 335.0 bhp @ 5250 rpm and 355.0 ft lbs @ 3000rpm. No timings were given.

from supercars.net

if you want me to expand the pics just ask.

· Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
that'd make a badass police car :)

· Registered
5,405 Posts
I like it. Good midnight cruiser. I don't care for the drop top version though. I've liked the 95 or so Lt-1 equipped Impala SS's too. Big, large back seat :D, comfy, yet powerfull and sporty. With a nice 8-9 pound S/c to boost power to the upper 400's, it'd give them Bmw yuppies a good run for their money.

· Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
hey rumors, you know anything bout the Mercury Cougar? I know that they're stopping production of it this year but I've heard that its coming back in like 2005 or something like that w/a V8...know anything bout that?

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Danman1116 said:
hey rumors, you know anything bout the Mercury Cougar? I know that they're stopping production of it this year but I've heard that its coming back in like 2005 or something like that w/a V8...know anything bout that?
I've heard a few rumors on that one. Don't know how accurate it is or will be. It's might go back to it's roots as the mustangs twin. Basically a mustang with a little more luxury and slightly different body.

· Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
5.0 said:

I've heard a few rumors on that one. Don't know how accurate it is or will be. It's might go back to it's roots as the mustangs twin. Basically a mustang with a little more luxury and slightly different body.
Like the newer cougars better than the older ones...granted the older ones had a 5.0 (I think) I just think that they were flat out ugly. Now the cougars that are out there have a nicer body style and a pretty decent engine under the hood

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Danman1116 said:

Like the newer cougars better than the older ones...granted the older ones had a 5.0 (I think) I just think that they were flat out ugly. Now the cougars that are out there have a nicer body style and a pretty decent engine under the hood
I wasn't talking about those ugly mofos. I'm talking late 60's/early 70's cougars. The 67-73 classics, not 80+ Pos's. When i said it might go back to it's roots, this is what i meant. Those 80's+ were more of a thunderbird twin then a mustang twin.

This is what i was talking about.
mmm, 390hp 427

· Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
ahh kinda what the t-bird did...went back to its old skool roots

· Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:
damn, i hate that old school shit. its gay looking.
man are the domestic trying to go back to the gas guzzling big block again. whats sup with that. :rolleyes:
:confused:. Sorry if some of us don't see stock 1.6's and 1.8's as big power houses. You want gas guzzlers? look at your twin turbo imports and high powered exotics. Economy and performance just don't mix. Even the 5.7L 405hp z06 gets better gas mileage then the 2.0L 240hp s2k.

Btw, you won't see a big block v8 in ford/Gm's near future. They're all sticking to small blocks.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
5.0 said:

:confused:. Sorry if some of us don't see stock 1.6's and 1.8's as big power houses. You want gas guzzlers? look at your twin turbo imports and high powered exotics. Economy and performance just don't mix. Even the 5.7L 405hp z06 gets better gas mileage then the 2.0L 240hp s2k.

Btw, you won't see a big block v8 in ford/Gm's near future. They're all sticking to small blocks.
hey buddy. my mistake, the s2k gets 20/26. and the z06 gets 19/28. oh is the z06 LEV [low emission vehicle]? well who do you think is more likely to retain the better fuel economy lets say after.....1 year, 2 years...3 years..? speaking of performance and economy, well i think the s2k mixes pretty well dont you think? $32,400, 240 hp, 2.0L. oh yea did i mention to say that the resell value of the car after 36 months is at 62%+.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:

hey buddy. my mistake, the s2k gets 20/26. and the z06 gets 19/28. oh is the z06 LEV [low emission vehicle]? well who do you think is more likely to retain the better fuel economy lets say after.....1 year, 2 years...3 years..? speaking of performance and economy, well i think the s2k mixes pretty well dont you think? $32,400, 240 hp, 2.0L. oh yea did i mention to say that the resell value of the car after 36 months is at 62%+.
Well considering both the Ls-1's in the regular camaro and vette are LEV certified i'd say the ls-6 is too. The engines are basically identical. And yes, my friends old mans 98 Ls-1 vette still averages a nice 20+ city mpg. Not bad for a 4-5 year old 5.7L gas guzzler. And his drop top still costs more then what you'd pay for a new s2k. How's that for resale?

· Registered
9,883 Posts
5.0 sorry for my lack of knowledge on the domestic, but can you tell me how much does the 98 vette LS1 brand new costs?
does your friends dad drive his car as a daily driver? does he ever take it to the track? does he drive it hard at all? how many miles is on the car? what is his 98 vette ls1 cost about now?

· Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:
5.0 sorry for my lack of knowledge on the domestic, but can you tell me how much does the 98 vette LS1 brand new costs?
does your friends dad drive his car as a daily driver? does he ever take it to the track? does he drive it hard at all? how many miles is on the car? what is his 98 vette ls1 cost about now?
I have no idea on the starting price. I think the drop top goes for around 45-47k now. Probably near that amount back in 98. That is just a guess because the more expensive Ls-6 z06 vette goes for 49k. Now a clean 98 drop top vette retails for a good 38k-40k. His has 37k miles and is fully loaded. Book price is around 39k as well. Private part sales value would be around $35k. The numbers are off Kelly blue book. The local chevy dealership had a lower mileaged 99 going for $39,995. They marked it down from $41k after it sat in their lot for a month. As for his vette, it is a daily driver for half the year. It's not winter driven due to the harsh MN winters here. He doesn't take it to the track/strip but on some rare occasions he might street race or do a nice smokey burnout. He usually babies it 90% of the time. This is a 53 year old man we're talking her.

On the highway, the car is very smooth. At 70mph and in 6th gear, it's right at 1400-1500 rpm. 30+ mpg is achievable with the cruise control on. The nice thing is, the car doesn't have to be revved higher cause it has excellent low end power and tq and a nice gearbox/engine combo. Under normal driving conditions he usually sees around 21-22 city mpg. That's according to his vettes computer/information center.

Very nice car.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
the torque is nice. but reving is fun sometimes hehe.
if you like the brute force then the domestic is good. but if you want something more refined and agile then the s2k is good.
the s2k is a bargain for the $32,000 price tag. and is faster then the boxter.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
rumorsHG said:
hmm, some of you really like it... interesting
I think i'm the only person. I wouldn't buy it, but i definitely like it. the coupe that is, i don't like the drop top version. I loved the 95/96 Impala SS's with the Lt-1 engine. Nothing like watching a "stock" land yacht plow the 1/4 mile down in 14.7 seconds :D. With 335 horses this mercury should be a low to mid 14 second car. Throw on a 8-10 pound S/c with an intercooler/aftercooler and have 450-500 horses on tap. Can you say sleeper?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.