Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,633 Posts
The motor has the same chance of being screwed up as any other vehicle that has lost a timing belt. When the timing belt goes, then the cam timing goes. The chance is that a valve (or many) is in the down position while the piston is quickly coming up to top dead center, where it may contact the valve.

The luckiest thing is to happen in this scenario is that you only bend a valve before the motor is cut. However, the bent valve could end up breaking and being sucked into the motor where you could end up with a few holes in the block.

· Registered
495 Posts
I think the K series engine has timing chains so that is less likely to happen. IMO not only is the rsx going to be more reliable, it is newer and has A LOT more interior room than an eclipse. I could fit in the back of my rsx, my friend had a talon and at six feet tall I physically could NOT sit behind him when he drove.

As far as power goes the gst would be better, but I would not but a car like that for a daily driver.

· Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
GST, just swap the turbo from the stock t25 to an 18g or a bastard 20g to make it fun, direct bolt on swap and the stock boost solenoid will put up with it, all you'll need is a mild tune unless you want ridiculous power, then send me a PM and I'll give you some guidelines.

· Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts

· Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
this is a honda forum. the answer from here should be obvious
depends on what his goals are, sometimes the most voiced answer isn't always the best one for an individual on a case-by-case basis. though for most of them, they should get a Honda and stay N/A before they blow something up.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Well if hes concered more with reliablity and ergonomics the DC5 would be the better choice, but in terms of power and performance the DSM is a lot easier to make faster for less money.

DSM's arent terrible cars, but they have drawbacks, so does the DC5, mainly that its already a highly tuned N/A 2.0l, with not a whole ton more power to be had unless boosted or serious N/A work.

Tho, if I were in his shoes, I'd find a GSX, not a GST so that way you can stay away from FWD, which is a plus.

· Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
Well if hes concered more with reliablity and ergonomics the DC5 would be the better choice, but in terms of power and performance the DSM is a lot easier to make faster for less money.

DSM's arent terrible cars, but they have drawbacks, so does the DC5, mainly that its already a highly tuned N/A 2.0l, with not a whole ton more power to be had unless boosted or serious N/A work.

Tho, if I were in his shoes, I'd find a GSX, not a GST so that way you can stay away from FWD, which is a plus.
AWD is only good when you have a TRE, Jack's, or Shep transmission (or something else modded from stock) otherwise it's just a few more things that can go wrong. Though if he wanted a GSX I can steer him in the right direction. The DC5 would have reliability over any DSM /thread.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
AWD is only good when you have a TRE, Jack's, or Shep transmission (or something else modded from stock) otherwise it's just a few more things that can go wrong. Though if he wanted a GSX I can steer him in the right direction. The DC5 would have reliability over any DSM /thread.
I like your dsm BTW, is it that "blackcherry" color or black? I miss my laser..
Take it from someone who has owned a DSM before to say that if you like modding cars but don't like taking the transmission off 3 times in one weekend..then do yourself a favor and buy the RSX..but if you don't mind doing "maintenance" every weekend on a DSM then go with the DSM by all means it will be faster with less money. But RSX's are classy and refined but still have that fun honda-ness that we all like about civics and crx's..its up to in the end though.

· Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
I like your dsm BTW, is it that "blackcherry" color or black? I miss my laser..
Take it from someone who has owned a DSM before to say that if you like modding cars but don't like taking the transmission off 3 times in one weekend..then do yourself a favor and buy the RSX..but if you don't mind doing "maintenance" every weekend on a DSM then go with the DSM by all means it will be faster with less money. But RSX's are classy and refined but still have that fun honda-ness that we all like about civics and crx's..its up to in the end though.
Thanks, glad you like it, it was the blackcherry color, now it is flat black, though once I'm done with modding (for a while anyways) after getting it running it will go back to being blackcherry colored.

· Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
:D I wouldn't change it. sick
I hadn't planned on it any time soon, once it runs again I'm shooting for 380awhp and once the trans goes again a Jack's creation will be in the plans. I'm only doing two stages on this car, only when it approached its final street stage of 500-535 awhp would it go back to a stock color. Until then flat-black it shall remain :ninja

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.