Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am starting to plan my trunk install. Nothing extravagant. No fiberglass. Just MDF(?) and Carpet. Need Ideas and help. I think I want to put a sub on both sides and i will mount one amp to each side also as this will still leave me with a useable trunk. I am a NOOB when it comes to design so i will need your expert opinion.

A couple of quick questions.

Will the closed in speakers need a port?

I am using 2-10" JBL's for now. How much air space will I need behind the walls?

·
Registered
582 Posts
silveracc said:
Ok so I am starting to plan my trunk install. Nothing extravagant. No fiberglass. Just MDF(?) and Carpet. Need Ideas and help. I think I want to put a sub on both sides and i will mount one amp to each side also as this will still leave me with a useable trunk. I am a NOOB when it comes to design so i will need your expert opinion.

A couple of quick questions.

Will the closed in speakers need a port?

I am using 2-10" JBL's for now. How much air space will I need behind the walls?
youre pretty much just looking at a standard box if you want it all MDF. for what you want, fiberglass the back of the enclosure sand it and put MDF in the front to make it appear flat.

it depends what kind of sound you want if you want a seald or ported box. if you like big bass then ported, if you like sound quality more then get sealed. a ported box is usually bigger.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the speakers are in a bandpass box now. I don't want that I want to build the speakers into the trunk.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Could you get the model numbers for the JBL's you have,also what kinda overall sound are you going for? Do you want sound quality over loudness or loudness over sound quality?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just looking for quality not trying to win any contest. Just a clean trunk install that will sound good and still leave me room to use the trunk. And the JBL's are probably 8 years old but still sound very good last time i had them hooked up.

Just so you know i'll be using and alpine 9835 head unit
A Kenwood 4 channel Amp for the subs
and an Eclipse 4 channel amp for the front and rear deck speakers I will get all model numbers for you.

Do you need me to take a picture/measurements of the trunk?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
in all honesty if you could save a little for a new sub and amp it would be better cause with what is out there now you could put 1 12 in the place of the 2 10's,and have a more effeciant class d amp.

but I would need the model number of the subs to know what the specs are cause different subs require different boxes.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well buying a new sub/amp is out of the question. The accountant/wife will never go for it so I will have to use what i got until it just doesn't work anymore :D

I'll post up the model numbers tonight. Now you say box you mean boxing in the sides of the trunk right? not building a new box cause they are already in a pretty kickass bandpass box but it is huge and would take up the majority of my trunk.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
silveracc said:
well buying a new sub/amp is out of the question. The accountant/wife will never go for it so I will have to use what i got until it just doesn't work anymore :D

I'll post up the model numbers tonight. Now you say box you mean boxing in the sides of the trunk right? not building a new box cause they are already in a pretty kickass bandpass box but it is huge and would take up the majority of my trunk.
you may like your box but IMHO bandpass boxes are complete junk,loud and boomy but no real low end,and no tight response.Sounds like 2 seperate sealed boxes would be great for what you are looking for,but post the model numbers so I can research the subs a lil and we can go from there :)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
groovy I'll post up the model numbers up tonight around 8pm. Are you at work wanna pm me your number so we can chat a little to make sure we are on the same page?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subs - JBL GT 1000D
Eclipse Amp - 3241
Kenwood Amp - KAC 846

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. The speaker is about 5yrs old. The cone is just black with JBL embossed in the center. I got the model # off the back of the speaker.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Ok.

Can you build boxes,do you know the formula to get cubic foot demensions?

If not it is

WxHxD/1728, Example: 12 inchs wide x 12 inchs high x 12 inch deep / 1728 = 1 cubic foot

With that said,I would go with 2 sealed boxes.One on the left side,one on the right side,each holding a 10.

From what I have seen on the subs they dont like too much power so a good 150 to 200rms to each sub would probly do good.

For the box size I'd go 12w/14d/14h that will give around 1.36 cu ft before sub displacement which should hang around 1.25 to 1.3 cu ft after the sub is in the box.

Do you allready have a amp and are you willing to loose your spare tire cause I have a good idea on what to do with it also.

If this is not on the right track let me know and I would give you my number but I'm in the middle of switching cell phone companies

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
see post #10. I think I am going to use the Kenwoood to power the subs as that is what I used last time.

No don't want to loose the spare tire as I am trying to keep all parts of the car functional.

Do i need to build a box? Or can i just build a "wall" on both sides of the trunk like where the wheel wells are?

I am skilled enough in Carpentry to build the box but if you had a way to make a blueprint for me that would be awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts