Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here's the 04 Vette C6...damn this thing looks sweet
Way back in our April 1995 issue, we blew the lid off the top-secret Corvette C5 project. Within seconds of that magazine hitting the streets, our editorial offices were deluged with angry phone calls from high-power GM execs, frantic Corvette Team engineers, and tight-jawed corporate marketing people. History repeated itself with an exclusive cover story on the 2004 Corvette C6 kicking off the launch of the all-new Motor Trend (September 2000). We present an exclusive expanded edition here. Read on to learn our findings about the exciting, next-generation Corvette.
After half a century as the definitive all-American sports car, the Chevrolet Corvette prepares to celebrate two monumental milestones: its 50th anniversary in 2003 and the dawn of the sixth-generation model in 2004. Even with the debut of the highest-performance street-legal Corvette in history, the 2001 Z06, Corvette enthusiasts are anxiously awaiting these two future models.

Vague rumors of a sophisticated, high-performance machine that would build upon the Corvette legend fueled our investigation. Unfortunately, the Corvette team has been well-coached in media interrogation tactics, making it difficult to gain much information through official channels. However, our unofficial sources have delivered many intriguing puzzle pieces that reveal significant portions of the current C6 plan.

Motor TrendSeptember 1996

Codenamed the GMX 245, the C6 will be a substantial engineering and styling refinement, but not an all-new platform. This is reminiscent of the transition from the '63-'67 run to the curvaceous '68-'82 series. It will be an evolution of the current-generation car whose development process began in the late '80s. A well-balanced package, the '97 Corvette set a new refinement benchmark for modern sports cars and consequently garnered our Car of the Year award. The C5 Corvette excels in many ways, from its well-mannered ride dynamics, to its ultra-slick powertrain performance and pleasantly livable, well-laid-out interior. And sales have boomed.

As a result, much of the core C5 engineering will live on, providing the foundation for not only the C6 but also its new sister, the 2003 Cadillac Evoq roadster. Initially, the Caddy concept vehicle was built on a hastily modified Corvette chassis. But according to Wayne Cherry, GM's VP of design, the Evoq was considered a concept vehicle in the purest sense, not a production prototype. But an overwhelmingly positive public response has forced production and lead to Cadillac grabbing some of the Bowling Green, Kentucky, factory's build capacity. This complicated move ensured that the C6 would not be ready as a 2003 model, leaving the C5 to lead the anniversary celebration.

As with past Corvette anniversaries and special editions, the existing car will bear that honor, ushering in the C6 powertrain and a few leading-edge technologies. We had expected a tribute color scheme of Polo White with a red interior to adorn a limited run of convertibles honoring the 300 original '53 roadsters. However, several sources have indicated that a single-color gold treatment is likely, reminiscent of the Ruby Red 40th anniversary cars.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
yeah i saw this a while ago. Basically it's a photoshop of a 360modena front end with the new NSX headlights, I doubt the Vette will look anything like this.

I think Chevy will implement some of their Cadillac concept qualities into the 04 C6 including tail lights and maybe even some interior adjustments. As for performance, b/c the Z06 has boosted itself to a 400+hp category, the C6 better have nothing less then 450hp.

Road and Track said that they were hoping to see a V10 come into the C6 market, but I doubt that will happen. Then again, we wont really know till the actual production.

I'd like to see a 6.5L+ V8 making 500hp with a brand new facelift and a rather more "attractive" interior.

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i think that the front end of the Vette looks like a copycat version of the Modena which I'm surprised they didn't get peeved for a takeoff on their design

but ya...a v10 in the Vette would give everyone a run for their money...I think that the Dodge Viper is soon to do that with their RT/10

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o yaya my b...meant to say that they were going to a v8..i did know that they were V10's! Seriously!! :p

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i heard about that baby viper coming out too...thats the v8 that i thought that they were switching too but haven't heard much lately as to whether it was gonna be completed or not...

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and thanx for the info btw man :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts