Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

i have a 06 accord ex v6 sedan and it has the "premium audio system". the front speakers don't seem to be working anymore so i want to replace them.

what are the standard sizes and what speaker model would be a good value replacement?

i know that they are tons of options out there and i used to be a car audio buff myself but now i want to keep the system stock so i don't want to invest in speakers too high end and have diminished returns from factory deck.

any feedback will be appreciated.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and to think i was laughed at in the "classified" forum about my post count......of course I don't use this forum anymore. I had three postings all starting two weeks ago and got zero answers and one response - the one that made fun of my low post count.

this forum sucks, and to think i was a 1,000+ post count member before the DB cleaning in the early 2000s.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
and to think i was laughed at in the "classified" forum about my post count......of course I don't use this forum anymore. I had three postings all starting two weeks ago and got zero answers and one response - the one that made fun of my low post count.

this forum sucks, and to think i was a 1,000+ post count member before the DB cleaning in the early 2000s.

You're butthurt because someone won't answer your subjective question? Questions like this are all hearsay and don't matter one bit. I don't know what your ears like, I don't know what your budget is, hell I don't even know if it's your speakers that are the problem,

Do some research on your own, find a few things you like, then people can help narrow them down. To come in here and just say, "hey I'm too lazy to do my own research, pick them for me", garners an equally lazy response, which is why noone answered you.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi illusion, i remember you back in 2000-2001.

i think my question was pretty specific. we all know that there are tons of very high end aftermarket speakers, but i want something that's best bang for the bucks for stock radio. there can't be too many, considering a lot of the higher end stuff would be overkill and provide very diminished returns.

anyway, i posted in the engine forum as well and the lack of response was the same- pretty disappointing after having very engaging discussions in early 2000s.

anyway.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
It still depends on your ears though. Some people swear by the lower end boston acoustic, to me they are bright as hell with a muddy mid. My personal pick are CDT CL or EF series(steer clear of KA series), warm mids, clear but not bright highs, decent midbass response even being in the door. Diamond S or D6(I don't like the D3 that much) sound great, great midbass, nice highs, lacking a bit in the midrange but they aren't muddy. JL VR series are pretty decent, I'd compare them closest to the diamonds. MB quart premium or reference series are nice, but lack on midbass a bit(STAY AWAY from the discuss line). The polk DB and and MM series are ok as well. $100-$250 is the best bang for the buck region, there are tons of great sounding drivers in that range. If you like brighter highs look for titanium domed tweeters, if you like a smooth crisp high look for silk domed tweeters. The higher the sensitivity/efficiency the better unless you plan on throwing an amp on them, then efficiency doesn't really matter. Be careful with sensitivity/efficiency measurements, the standard is 1w of power listening at 1m (1w/1m), some companies play games and use odd voltages and different distances to inflate their efficiency, infinity is HORRIBLE about doing that).

Personally I have a hard time taking anyone's opinion on drivers. I look around to see what people generally like, then go around to all the stereo shops around and listen. I usually test install to make sure I like them before I cut wire lengths, mount x-overs and such. Places like Ikesound have a great return policy so if you don't like them you can send them back, so long as they are in a good enough condition to resell. That's why I don't cut wires and such, and try my damnedest not to make screw marks. Sometimes I'll just hold the woofer in the hole and use some double stick tape on the tweet just to see if I like the sound.

There is quite a bit less people here since there are so many specialized forums pertaining to specific models now. Also the allowance of a few too many bad apples scared quite a few of the good people away.

Since you're a fellow bay area resident I highly recommend looking at Fry's. You can find deals and if you don't like them, take em back. Boy do I love Fry's return policy lol(and I'm sure they hate me lol)

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
illusion, who carries CDT in the bay area so I can go check them out? I'm set on Alpine pdx (need line driver tho, recommendations?) and either some polk mm6501 or your CDTs since I want warmer mids and not bright like my Boston Pro were. Anything else I should look at?

Again, I'm looking for 6.5"-ish 2-way comps that fit in my 06 accord.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.