Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been a few months now and a few people have probably gotten their hands on an 06 Si to drive or own(lucky bastards), but im picking one up this summer and was wondering about the whole drive by wire throttle system. i heard people hate it on the TSX so hows it on the SI.

The biggest issue that people had with it on the TSX is that theres was lag in the throttle in "spirited" driving... yea we all have our moments.

also, if anyone would happen to know, im 21 years old and on my own...wat kinda insurance will i be paying with the new SI, my DA teggy costs just a bit over 100 a month.

ohh and if your in the phoenix area and looking for a nissan. PM me!!
i wish the honda dealer needed salespeople cuz man i woulda jumped on that instantly, but eh nissans are good too... ;)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
SweetEBPSi said:
I'm a little slow in the knowledge dept., but whats drive by wire?
Ill take this one.....

In a throttle by wire system, there is no real throttle cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body. there is a sensor down at the pedal that measures how far down you are pressing, in turn there is a servo type device on the throttle body that opens and closes the butterfly. Its all electronic. The benifits of throttle by wire is that the longer you have your car, the more it adapts to your driving style. Eventually it will learn and predict when you are going to floor it and almost have the car wide open before you could manually. The down side however is obvious. Electronics are shit for reliability. Usually if the sensors get dirty or worn, there becomes a highly noticable delay in the time it takes the car to go to full throttle after youve floored it, or return to idle after youve lifted. High maintenance, yes, but if its working right, it very fun to use. Volkswagen has used this technology since 1999, so has Subaru in the Legacy and STI models.

Reactions: gurusan

·
Registered
205 Posts
drive by wire eliminate teh mechanical connect between your gas pedal and the engine or whatver it was set to do, instead it letting the computer doing all the work. So your mods won;t be as roponsive, and the steering won;t be as responsive, and is not as fun to drive anymore.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
marshall mather said:
So your mods won;t be as roponsive, and the steering won;t be as responsive, and is not as fun to drive anymore.
I don't think you really know what you are talking about, or if you do then you just can put it in words to well. Anyways IMO drive by wire will never give you WOT as quick as a cable will, they can make claims, but I also don't think fuel injection will ever give you the throttle response that a carberator can if tuned right. Mechanical is always quicker than electrical, electronics have to compute before they send the signal to react. Now they are so quick you don't notice it unless you are really paying attention. Everything I have driven with drive by wire I didn't like, especialy 5spd stuff. The 05 mustangs have it and one thing everyone does is converts to a coventional set up with a cable.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
marshall mather said:
.......and the steering won;t be as responsive......
Yeah, the drive by wire has NOTHING to do with the steering....

·
Registered
205 Posts
My original quote:

drive by wire eliminate teh mechanical connect between your gas pedal and the engine or whatver it was set to do,

The idea is to remove the mechanical linkages between the controls of a car and the devices that actually do the work. Instead of operating the steering and brakes directly, the controls would send commands to a central computer, which would instruct the car what to do. :bash :rolleyes

google searched:
http://www.google.com/search?source...rls=DVXA,DVXA:2006-11,DVXA:en&q=drive+by+wire

First Link on result page:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-dri1.htm

next time read my whole statement before saying shit biatch :lol2

·
Registered
205 Posts
they won't, but they can. thats the point I tried to make the first time. Drive by wire can be set to whatever the manufacture design it to do, including steering or other shit thats related. And I mention if that happends your steering won;t be as responsive...etc

·
Registered
62 Posts
I work at a ford dealer and I know that the 04 and newer f150s use a drive by wire system. One of the biggest customer complaints was that the vehicle felt sluggish. It's got a good motor with plenty of power and torque, but the slow to respond drive by wire system was hurting it. So, to slap a bandaid on the problem they came out with a revised PCM calibration the decreased the response time between throttle application with the foot and throttle plate opening. It made a good bit of difference.

bottom line, the drive by wire systems will vary greatly between vehicles and pcm software.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Im guessing here, but it appears there are a few different ways to go FBW. I drove a ford pickup that had it and it was the oddest slowest responding vehicle I ever drove. Maybe 2 seconds before it would move forward. To me this means they have the computer reading the throttle setting and then applying throttle movement after doing all sorts of calculations. Not to spectacular. Great for a safe and boring drive. The other way is to have a sensor wired straight to a servo wich responds independanlty of the computer and ONLY replaces the cable. The signal however can be interupted or alterred by the ECU. Also safe but much much faster. I am going only by how I seen the two setups and am speculating this is how they worked. I can see how Ford would want to make changes to this. It might be okay for heavy hauling and towing though, since it does apply power much slower and evenly. I could not tell any difference in the 06 Si from a cable. But thats me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drive by wire

Yeah I have an 06 blue Si and I hate the drive by wire, I much prefer the old style to this but all in all its pretty nice. Got my hands on one early because I work at honda. Still no mods that impress me though.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
IMO when it comes to controlling the car things should remain mechanical.

No p/s, tight suspension, nice taut throttle cable, steel braided brake lines....ahh must stop or I might soil myself

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
gurusan said:
IMO when it comes to controlling the car things should remain mechanical.

No p/s, tight suspension, nice taut throttle cable, steel braided brake lines....ahh must stop or I might soil myself
yes but car people are a dying bread compared to the rest of the world, where gas savings, and cool new technology is selling points, not hp or performance quality

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.