Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be buying my wife a new gen Accord (or Civic). I just want to see if there are any glaring issues or concerns before buying from those who own one and may have had bad experiences with them (or good ones!).

I'd be looking at the LX-P auto model for her (lower horsepower k24 version). Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
I had a rattle from the rear deck lid ( speaker area) There was a TSB and the dealerhship replaced some clips and problem gone. Mine is an 08 ex-l one with a subwoofer. Not sure if that matters for the TSB. Otherwise after 1 year I can say the car is pretty solid. No issues

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses....she definitely wants the Accord over the Civic after test driving each. The auto in the Civic is a bit clunky compared to the Accord and the Accord is so much more refined in terms of engine/road noise relative to earlier examples I've been in. Also, the Civic would be SO hard to work on....there is like 12" of room between the frontmost edge of the windshield and the back of the firewall....the shock towers are damn near under the dashboard.

Anyway, it's a good time to buy...I have 5 dealers absolutely going hand over heals to compete for my business....I'm down to almost 4k under MSRP plus extending the comprehensive warranty out to 5yr/60k.

· Registered
21 Posts
Anyway, it's a good time to buy...I have 5 dealers absolutely going hand over heals to compete for my business....I'm down to almost 4k under MSRP plus extending the comprehensive warranty out to 5yr/60k.

Good luck bro....same thing happened to me. I just got my Coupe and I paid 28K for it fully loaded! The sticker was 31600K, and they didn't have it in stock. They had to search for it, usually great deals are only on what the dealer has in stock......but not during these hard times.

Post some pictures when you get it!!

· Registered
21 Posts
MAN did those cars get BIG

Even the new civics just keep getting fatter and fatter each model year. oink
yeah, tell me about it!! I constantly think what would happen if you stuffed the 3.5 Accord engine in a 1990 accord!! I mean it wouldn't fit but the point is the engines are getting bigger but a lot of it is just wasted pushing the much bigger and heavier car. My new accord weighs it at 3500lbs!! The thing is a beast.

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck bro....same thing happened to me. I just got my Coupe and I paid 28K for it fully loaded! The sticker was 31600K, and they didn't have it in stock. They had to search for it, usually great deals are only on what the dealer has in stock......but not during these hard times.

Post some pictures when you get it!!
28k for a AV6 coupe is a great deal....usually they aren't as willing to deal on the higher end trims, but they obviously wanted your business. Is it the manual V6?

Anyway, I love the new coupes....my civic is still in good shape and has plenty of life left in it so I can save to pay cash for an Accord Coupe or TSX in a few years. My wife's civic's auto tranny is blah and the engine needs a new rear main seal so I think she needs the new car sooner.

By the way, your Rex build is sick....I just spent about an hour looking at all your pictures :).

· Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Accords in general are really solid, dependable cars. and honda customer service is pretty high in terms of "economy" car makers. its why car and driver puts it on the 10Best list :tu

· Registered
21 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Nice coupe, white always looks clean, having the v6 6speed is just badass. that is so crazy that they weigh 3500lbs, my accord coupe is 2900lbs when I weighed it at the track. 14lb rims, 8lb flywheel, race seats, all help keep the weight down, but even 2900lbs is heavy to me.

the 93vx hatch with h22 we did for my lil bro was like 2300lbs, and with over 200hp, its stupid fun. hondas are bulky as shit now

· Registered
10 Posts
I traded in my 99 eclipse gs-t spyder for an 08 accord sedan lx-p last april for my fiance and i have no complaints about it (other than having to trade in the eclipse because the baby seat didn't fit anymore)! Great car! we had issues with wind noise on the passenger door and it turned out to be just the weather stripping. Dealer fixed it and no problems since. I did a 6000k low beam hid on it and had it tinted for her for the hallmark holiday. She drives it more than i do since i drive more and use the old 96 accord sedan. Definitely recommend the car!

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I end up getting an 09 LX-P Sedan....20.7k OTD....got a killer deal. Sales person end up misquoting me so I canceled an appointment in Fredricksburg VA, only to have the internet manager call me up 3 days before I was going to pick it up tell me 21.4k was the best they could do. I raised hell to the GM of the dealer and he end up honoring the original quote and gave me employee pricing on extended (no deductible) warranty.

My wife took some pics with her new low f lens I got her, so I'll post them later.

I'm hearing a lot of stories about rear brakes wearing out in less than 20k miles!...I've never changed rear brakes on any car in less than 60k!

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I was surprised by how little engine noise and wind noise I notice....I mean not Acura/Lexus level, but there is SOME sound deadening as opposed to none like with earlier Civics/Accords.

· Registered
512 Posts
Indeed, the current civic 4 door is about the same size as my 98 acccord 4 door. About 2800 lbs compared to 3000 respectivley.
I understand where you're coming from do you really think honda's customers want to be driving around in 2k lbs tin cans?????

No, they don't! All manufactures are uping thier game and offering better and better cars year after year and that's what customers come to expect. Refinement = comfort and agility = size

· Registered
229 Posts
It's funny how the size of cars change over time though. They were big in the 50s and 60s, got smaller in the 80s and 90s, now the're getting bigger again. With gas prices sure to go back up to $4 a gallon in the next several years, cars should start to shrink again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.