Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am thinking about buying a 97 up prelude...can someone please list each model and what the stock 1/4 times are to the best of their knowledge? thanks alot...oh and what features change as each model goes up?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
97-01 base- 15.1-15.5
97-01 Type SH- 15.2-15.6
97-01 SS- 15.7-16.1

....depending on driver....

All have the same H22A engine. The base is the quickest since it weighs the least and puts the most power to the ground. The Type SH adds:
SH specific 16" wheels that are slighty heavier then the base wheels

ATTS < Click on me to learn about ATTS
Leather Shift Knob (with Black stitching)
Rear Spoiler with no center mounted third brake light in the interior
Body colored side sills and rear under panel
Sport Shift is not available on the Type SH
Interior Courtesy Door Lights
Different Suspension setup (different lower control arms as well as lower locating link)
Also the Type SH retails for around 2-3 grand more.

The SS or sportshift Prelude is the slowest stock because it weighs in more then the base and puts less power down to the wheels because automatics are less efficient then a standard manual. Also top speed is decreased because it has 4 gears instead of 5. 1-3 gears are very similar between the SS and 5 speed models since Honda chose real world acceleration over ultimate top speed. Other then the tranny it shares all the same features as the base Prelude.

Here are some facts about the H22A engine.
ENGINE
Type Aluminum Alloy Inline 4
Displacement 2157 cc
[email protected]
[email protected]
Torque (lb.ft.) [email protected]
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Valve Train DOHC, 16-Valve VTEC
Fuel Induction System PGM-FI

Also all the 97+ H22's have an open deck block.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Ludeboy said:
Type SH adds:
SH specific 16" wheels that are slighty heavier then the base wheels
I didnt know that 5th gen SH's had stock 16 inchers!!! Well i dont focus on the 5th generation optional choices very much..

Those times sound about the right.. But i thought that the 5th gens couldnt get up to 15.1 stock, i heard they got to 15.3 the best..due to the weight. And 4th gen get up to 15.1.. But again, i might be wrong about the times.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yeah the 4th G's can hit a 14.9 with a really good driver. A 5th G could hit a 15.1 with a good driver. That is why I say, "depending on driver". Also, it seems that some Ludes are slightly stronger then others.

Also remember too that the base model's wheels are 16's as well. Same Bridgestone RE-92's.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 4th Gen Accord that I want to put a H22 in. And I want the fastest stock engine and according to the post I have read you say it is the 4th gen engine. What years do you consider 4th gen.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Patdow1 said:
I have a 4th Gen Accord that I want to put a H22 in. And I want the fastest stock engine and according to the post I have read you say it is the 4th gen engine. What years do you consider 4th gen.
the 4th gen is 92 to 96 model years. if you're lookin for the strongest engine, go for the 5th gen. 5 more hp than 4th gen.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ReCK1 said:

aite so what makes the SS heavier than the base??
just a little FYI, the SS is an option only on the base model. the SS is an automatic with the tiptronic shifting (autostick, automanual, sportshift whatever you wanna call it) and automatic transmissions are generally heavier than manual trannys.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Patdow1 said:
Actually your should be looking for the H22A1's not the H22A4's for the OBD1 and the closed deck design. I think pre 96 engines.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
the H22a1 on 4th gens is best for a swap cause it has OBD1 and shorter gearing.

the only reason 4th gen vtecs can accelerate faster than 5th gens is gearing...4th gen is much shorter.

btw: 4th gen H22s probably had the same output as the 5th gen base. honda probably changed just a little bit and called it 10 hp to improve sales of the 5th gen. think about it

·
Registered
936 Posts
The 97-98 5th Gen accords have 195 HP. The 99-01 have 200 HP. It is the same engine, what makes the 5 hp difference? I am planning on getting a 5th gen lude and I see a 98 Type SH locally listed for $11k, which isnt bad. But I might wait for a 99-01 Base or SH because of the extra HP and the mesh grill that the 97-98 does not have.

For my Accord LX, all you have to do is change the intake manifold of ur F22A4 to the F22A6 and you get the HP that the Accord EX has. Is it the same way with the 5th gen luds?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I looked at a base and SH Prelude and ended up getting the base because of lower price and mileage of the two cars. The type SH is dressed up a little better and visually looks a little better stock. I have never driven a SH but I consider my base to be a great handling car and pretty quick.

Maybe see if you can see if there is a base version around and take it for a spin, I think you'll know which one you'll want.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i97supratti said:
The 97-98 5th Gen accords have 195 HP. The 99-01 have 200 HP. It is the same engine, what makes the 5 hp difference? I am planning on getting a 5th gen lude and I see a 98 Type SH locally listed for $11k, which isnt bad. But I might wait for a 99-01 Base or SH because of the extra HP and the mesh grill that the 97-98 does not have.

For my Accord LX, all you have to do is change the intake manifold of ur F22A4 to the F22A6 and you get the HP that the Accord EX has. Is it the same way with the 5th gen luds?
the header supposedly gave the 5hp increase. there have been tests done on each header and they are identical in design. all 5th generation preludes usually dyno right around the same hp as well. imo, honda claimed that the 99 and up model gained 5hp so the car would sell better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Too bad it didn't work. We could have had a sixth gen to play with. Any way I ran a 15.4 last summer stock with a sub and what not.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Is there any way to put the ATTS from a SH on a Base model, and how much does this run, what parts or how many parts are neccessary for the install. Where in g-d's name do i find an ATTS system? I hear you can't have an LSD and ATTS but didn't the Type-S in Japan feature both? And again i guess a common question is which is better ATTS or LSD? Should i just throw an LSD on there and be content instead of shelling out the money to swap the ATTS, is it a pretty close comparison? And if anybody can tell me why I didn't buy a damn SH from tampa instead of driving to Orlando and having the "brand new" motor blow when i got back to Miami and then find out a year later the car was a rebuild? Use car-fax, because i'll beat the kid with a cam shaft but now i really want leather seats in a type SH with a Type S motor, AND I DON'T HAVE one and that sucks! Now i have to fix the whole left side of my base model thanks to a hit and run 3.25i. Can you say $6,000 and not 1hp gain?(engine and body repair).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
psstoffprelude said:
Is there any way to put the ATTS from a SH on a Base model, and how much does this run, what parts or how many parts are neccessary for the install. Where in g-d's name do i find an ATTS system? I hear you can't have an LSD and ATTS but didn't the Type-S in Japan feature both? And again i guess a common question is which is better ATTS or LSD? Should i just throw an LSD on there and be content instead of shelling out the money to swap the ATTS, is it a pretty close comparison? And if anybody can tell me why I didn't buy a damn SH from tampa instead of driving to Orlando and having the "brand new" motor blow when i got back to Miami and then find out a year later the car was a rebuild? Use car-fax, because i'll beat the kid with a cam shaft but now i really want leather seats in a type SH with a Type S motor, AND I DON'T HAVE one and that sucks! Now i have to fix the whole left side of my base model thanks to a hit and run 3.25i. Can you say $6,000 and not 1hp gain?(engine and body repair).
LSD and ATTS are not the same, but the LSD will probably be simpler, more reliable, and cheaper to install. Its not worth huge trouble and expense to make a base lude into an SH. Im just glad I got an SH from the beginning. Sorry to hear your car got smacked by a bimmer... :(

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
yeah BMW sucks, and so do most of their drivers but thats ok the M3 is dope. The real question is can I put both ATTS and a Limited Slip Differential? And if i can about how much would that run me? I was gonna buy the interior from a type SH but I figured i'd prolly end up only having 2 racing seats and no back seats in the end.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
psstoffprelude said:
yeah BMW sucks, and so do most of their drivers but thats ok the M3 is dope. The real question is can I put both ATTS and a Limited Slip Differential? And if i can about how much would that run me? I was gonna buy the interior from a type SH but I figured i'd prolly end up only having 2 racing seats and no back seats in the end.
NOOO! You cant have ATTS and LSD. Just install LSD or sell your car for a Type SH. BTW the U.S. Type SH does not have standard leather seats. The only interior diff is leather shift knob, steering wheel, and door lights, oh and the ATTS light on the dash :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.