Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
97-01 base- 15.1-15.5
97-01 Type SH- 15.2-15.6
97-01 SS- 15.7-16.1

....depending on driver....

All have the same H22A engine. The base is the quickest since it weighs the least and puts the most power to the ground. The Type SH adds:
SH specific 16" wheels that are slighty heavier then the base wheels

ATTS < Click on me to learn about ATTS
Leather Shift Knob (with Black stitching)
Rear Spoiler with no center mounted third brake light in the interior
Body colored side sills and rear under panel
Sport Shift is not available on the Type SH
Interior Courtesy Door Lights
Different Suspension setup (different lower control arms as well as lower locating link)
Also the Type SH retails for around 2-3 grand more.

The SS or sportshift Prelude is the slowest stock because it weighs in more then the base and puts less power down to the wheels because automatics are less efficient then a standard manual. Also top speed is decreased because it has 4 gears instead of 5. 1-3 gears are very similar between the SS and 5 speed models since Honda chose real world acceleration over ultimate top speed. Other then the tranny it shares all the same features as the base Prelude.

Here are some facts about the H22A engine.
ENGINE
Type Aluminum Alloy Inline 4
Displacement 2157 cc
[email protected]
[email protected]
Torque (lb.ft.) [email protected]
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Valve Train DOHC, 16-Valve VTEC
Fuel Induction System PGM-FI

Also all the 97+ H22's have an open deck block.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Yeah the 4th G's can hit a 14.9 with a really good driver. A 5th G could hit a 15.1 with a good driver. That is why I say, "depending on driver". Also, it seems that some Ludes are slightly stronger then others.

Also remember too that the base model's wheels are 16's as well. Same Bridgestone RE-92's.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Patdow1 said:
I have a 4th Gen Accord that I want to put a H22 in. And I want the fastest stock engine and according to the post I have read you say it is the 4th gen engine. What years do you consider 4th gen.
Actually your should be looking for the H22A1's not the H22A4's for the OBD1 and the closed deck design. I think pre 96 engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.