Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
936 Posts
How hard is it to change the clutch on a Type SH prelude? Is it REALLY difficult for a noobie to do by himself in his backyard? I know a Honda dealershop would charge 1000+ to change the clutch/flywheel, and most shops around me I wouldn't trust to know anything about the ATTS unit. Would it require any special tools? On another prelude forum one person said they found it easier to remove the ENTIRE engine from the car and change the clutch then to try and do it with the car jacked up. I hope he was just a dumbass, and it can be changed easy.

· Registered
167 Posts
Alright, if your looking for a good motor that was quick the Euro R motors came in the accords in Europe and Japan. They come with LSD Tranny. They have the same specs as the Type S engine 220hp and all that 11 compression. Except it has the lsd tranny.

Now the atts is different then the lsd and can not have both. It is either or.
Also if you want atts on your car you are going to need to get the type S engine , mainly because the atts tranny bolts up differently and it doesn't match the pattern on the base model engine. So i recommend the engine and transmission. I know it is not cheap to get this, but if you buy just the atts tranny you will probably be disappointed.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
i97supratti said:
How hard is it to change the clutch on a Type SH prelude? Is it REALLY difficult for a noobie to do by himself in his backyard? I know a Honda dealershop would charge 1000+ to change the clutch/flywheel, and most shops around me I wouldn't trust to know anything about the ATTS unit. Would it require any special tools? On another prelude forum one person said they found it easier to remove the ENTIRE engine from the car and change the clutch then to try and do it with the car jacked up. I hope he was just a dumbass, and it can be changed easy.
Changing the clutch on any 5th gen especially a type SH is a bitch.

By the way trucharlie1217, horse power between the 97-99 and 00-01 is actually the same, honda just claimed 5 more horses later on, at least that's the way I understood it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.