Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about upgrading my ecu for my b16. Its called the vs1 computer upgrade from ard performance. It says it will increase the rev limit to 10,500 rpm. Would this be dangerous for the engine to rev that high? And what would i need to make it safe to rev that high?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
lostbethus said:
Im thinking about upgrading my ecu for my b16. Its called the vs1 computer upgrade from ard performance. It says it will increase the rev limit to 10,500 rpm. Would this be dangerous for the engine to rev that high? And what would i need to make it safe to rev that high?
Yes it would be bad unless your motor is built to rev that high, if not your motor well mostly likely start knocking or just take a dump. i would not recommend to do it unless your going to build it to rev it that high

·
Registered
238 Posts
wow, can a car really rev up to 10k? the only car i know that made their car revs up too 10k is spoon ctr, they even have to take out vtec to make it work properly

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
njn63 said:
you will get valve float at that rpm on a b16a. You'll need a valvetrain (springs, retainers) just to rev to 9k rpm.

I've seen itr's reved to 10k before but i'm sure they had valvetrain mods also. Toda makes vtec killer valvetrain and it'd deffinatly be a good idea if you want to rev high because it reduces the valvetrain mass which deffinatly helps reving high.

Also, on a stock b16 you make no power above 8k rpm's anyways so reving to 10k rpm is pointless.

you cant just throw in a new computer and expect it to do all the tuning and shit for you... you gotta put in the hardware too

·
Registered
714 Posts
Vtec also creates fluxuations in the oil pressure as well. In racing toda found that using "normal" cams with high lift and duration with close ratio trannys for that particular powerband allowed the race engines to last longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts