Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im new here at SH and i just want everyone to know that have a 1996 Honda Civic EX with a D16y8 motor (sohc vtec), Im starting a journey of modin my motor so i can run 11sec. I want to be all motor if possible, Hints the name 11-sec_sohc_civ. I will be needing your help on this adventure to get into the 11's. BTW my name is TJ. My Mods so are just a short ram cold air intake. what all will i be needing to start out out basic mod wise that i would see an increase in hp, no internal stuff yet but any suggestions are helpful.

Thz -TJ-

·
Registered
494 Posts
well shit...get your money together, its goin to take alot to get SOHC ALL MOTOR into the 11s, i could see 13s and maybe 12s but 11s are tough...if you went boost its possible...just get urself a stripped block...go from there, high compression or low with whatever u decide...theres another guy on here taking his d16 all motor and its for sale i believe...look him up i forget the name, perfect block for u to start with

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
exhaust and cams would be a good addition... short-ram is not a cold air intake though... SRI extends to just behind the drivers side headlight, and cold air goes into inbetween the wheel and bumper.

n/a will be tough to run 11's, unless you have big $. i would suggest a low-compression turbo setup for that... otherwise a high-compression n/a setup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well this was what i had in mind with the internal and external moddin,
(if i cant run all motor 11's)
low comp pistons (forged
rods (forged)
head job
advanced timing
JRSC (15psi+)
header,hi flow cat, muffler
CAI
good cam

with those mods what would i be runin?

·
Registered
542 Posts
11-sec_sohc_civ said:
well this was what i had in mind with the internal and external moddin,
(if i cant run all motor 11's)
low comp pistons (forged
rods (forged)
head job
advanced timing
JRSC (15psi+)
header,hi flow cat, muffler
CAI
good cam

with those mods what would i be runin?
your gonna need a balanced crank, good clutch organic or somthin. strip your car of all its weight... get rid of all the seats ac... get a lighter windshield, carbonfiber everything. its going to be hard...
There was a vid on SHO of a civic witha K20 swap boosted at like 24 psi... it ran a 11.55 cause of its slipping clutch. thats alot of money and one hell of a motor. the D series isnt really ment to run 11's... without alota money. There is a dyno sheet of a D16z6 on SHO that had 455hp. (rally car). If you are still into doing an allmotor... think about ITB's. ITB's are alot better than the CAI you are thinking about. They take alil away from the bottom end but the gains on the top are amazing.
Oh yeah... with all this stuff make sure its tuned."There is no replacement for displacement" when it comes for an allmotor car. A good engine you should concider to work with is a B18b- relatively cheap swap with alot of potential. You will need to build it up ALOT and swap it to a VTEC head ( LSVTEC) or you can get a CRVTEC (2.0). The frankinstein motor will work wonders. There is a vid on SHO with a LS/CRVTEC 2.0 running a 12.6 all motor.

EDIT: The d16z6 was boosted. And if you want to run an all motor setup, think about sleaveing your block. Ive herd good things about the crower cams, but other people say other cams lift better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NoRice4u2Day said:
your gonna need a balanced crank, good clutch organic or somthin. strip your car of all its weight... get rid of all the seats ac... get a lighter windshield, carbonfiber everything. its going to be hard...
There was a vid on SHO of a civic witha K20 swap boosted at like 24 psi... it ran a 11.55 cause of its slipping clutch. thats alot of money and one hell of a motor. the D series isnt really ment to run 11's... without alota money. There is a dyno sheet of a D16z6 on SHO that had 455hp. (rally car). If you are still into doing an allmotor... think about ITB's. ITB's are alot better than the CAI you are thinking about. They take alil away from the bottom end but the gains on the top are amazing.
Oh yeah... with all this stuff make sure its tuned."There is no replacement for displacement" when it comes for an allmotor car. A good engine you should concider to work with is a B18b- relatively cheap swap with alot of potential. You will need to build it up ALOT and swap it to a VTEC head ( LSVTEC) or you can get a CRVTEC (2.0). The frankinstein motor will work wonders. There is a vid on SHO with a LS/CRVTEC 2.0 running a 12.6 all motor.

EDIT: The d16z6 was boosted. And if you want to run an all motor setup, think about sleaveing your block. Ive herd good things about the crower cams, but other people say other cams lift better.
I've thought about a swap but that the easy wha tout to power, i want something that hardly anyone has, or wants, most ppl swap the d series motor for b's and h's but i want ot make a fast d series so im sticking to it, i get the above list done and then my car will be running pretty good times prolly still not quite 11's though (looking to get mid-11's btw)

oh yeah and would all d16 part fit any d16 motor (sohc)???

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
oh yeah and would all d16 part fit any d16 motor (sohc)???
not all but most, a search can yield you a better parts description than i could give you right now. some d parts are better than others... getting into the 11's is an improbable goal for almost any i-4 fwd street car. a hp goal would be a better bet than a 1/4 mile goal.

another thing is i have not seen or heard anyone running 15psi on a jrsc...ever. turbo, absolutely more than possible, and more likely.

·
Registered
478 Posts
11-sec_sohc_civ said:
Hey, Im new here at SH and i just want everyone to know that have a 1996 Honda Civic EX with a D16y8 motor (sohc vtec), Im starting a journey of modin my motor so i can run 11sec. I want to be all motor if possible, Hints the name 11-sec_sohc_civ. I will be needing your help on this adventure to get into the 11's. BTW my name is TJ. My Mods so are just a short ram cold air intake. what all will i be needing to start out out basic mod wise that i would see an increase in hp, no internal stuff yet but any suggestions are helpful.
it will never happen

best thing to do is learn how a motor works. spend about 5 years with that and then come back.

·
Registered
478 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
short-ram is not a cold air intake though... SRI extends to just behind the drivers side headlight, and cold air goes into inbetween the wheel and bumper.

n/a will be tough to run 11's, unless you have big $. i would suggest a low-compression turbo setup for that... otherwise a high-compression n/a setup
a.) you can have a "short ram" intake that breaths just as much cold air as one of the filter-on-a-stick-type-off-the-shelf-aftermarket "CAI's" that locate the filter in the fenderwell. its not hard to do. just wanted to clarify that FACT.

=)

b.)secondly.. even with a "turbo" 11's are damn near impposible on street trim. especially if you have no idea what your doing your lucky to break 14's. there are people with TONS of experience wont ever touch 11's on the street...

C.) a "high compression NA" setup would NEVER get into the 11's or anywhere CLOSE. it takes MUCh more than just "compression"

btw heres a 11sec TURBO SOHC.. IT WASNT EASY!

http://sohchonda.com/ipw-web/gallery/SVP11secSOHCs-photo-shoot-spread-from-Dsport-magazine

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Well, Bisi is doing 10's all-motor sohc, but that entire car/engine/suspension is as far from streetable as a car can get.

The best you can probably expect from a streetable all-motor D-series is mid-13's, and that's with power-proven add-ons, compression at 12:1 or higher, ignition, big cam, headwork, lsd trans,and ecu tuning.

It also helps if you don't have the heaviest D-series car ever made (unfortunately, you do.) Same motor in much lighter car = faster.

·
Registered
478 Posts
klungemonger said:
Well, Bisi is doing 10's all-motor sohc, but that entire car/engine/suspension is as far from streetable as a car can get.
Bisi is also extremely fast in the old noggin deptartment ;)

The best you can probably expect from a streetable all-motor D-series is mid-13's...
that does seem to be the barrier everyone is trying to beat. low 14's (slicks)for most people even in the lighter chassis' seems to be about where the all-motor D-herd stops moving forward.

It also helps if you don't have the heaviest D-series car ever made (unfortunately, you do.) Same motor in much lighter car = faster.
hehe i like this guy. smart man.

they are PIGS theres almost no hope for the 96+'s as a all motor street car to even break 14's. its that tough(not to say you cant do it but it certainly doesnt happen all the time)

·
Registered
425 Posts
theres a hatchback in town here for 1000$ dollars stick shift and everything...its a 92-95 model i could get it and put my y8 in it, i would be lil faster in that, no much but lil helps

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
it will not happen all motor plain and simple,turbo'd may be with the right tunning and setup but it would still cost stupid amounts of money

·
Registered
57 Posts
anything that has to do with a d series it has to be in a light chasis! i've went from eg hatches n coupes down to crx's n ef 4dr's ! this is where its at for making a d series pull on B and H series and K ! like 4dr said learn how an engine works ..then start messing with the sohc's ! bec it aint easy .....

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a guy i know that lives in Winchester, VA that has a little red hatch. He's got a d16 turbo. Biggest intercooler ever and he's running 11's. And its street legal and has the seats in it.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
civic_racer93 said:
There is a guy i know that lives in Winchester, VA that has a little red hatch. He's got a d16 turbo. Biggest intercooler ever and he's running 11's. And its street legal and has the seats in it.
There is a big difference between "street legal" and "streetable". Practicality has nothing to do with legality.
For one, the slicks required to run 11's are not street legal. Probably doesn't have a converter, that's not legal either...and the octane rating required for that much power is not commonly available at the pump and is too expensive to just fill up on all the time in a daily driver.

·
Registered
57 Posts
civic_racer93 said:
There is a guy i know that lives in Winchester, VA that has a little red hatch. He's got a d16 turbo. Biggest intercooler ever and he's running 11's. And its street legal and has the seats in it.[/QUO

Only thing street legal in california is a 15 sec civic! and no need for a skyline sized intercooler (bling factor) on a d16 turbo unless it had 1000hp which would do nothing but sit at the line roasting tires n snapping shafts ! :lmao

1 - 20 of 34 Posts