Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I bought the car at like 98k miles on it, and it's run good up until recently, it started getting a little sluggish on the gas pedal. I have about 112,000 miles on the car, regular oil changes, etc. I am about to do the brakes, oil change, injector cleaning, etc.

However, I am wondering when the spark plugs need to be changed out as well as the plug wires. Should I do the distributor cap at the same time as well?

What intervals do you change the plugs and such out? Also... what are the OEM spark plugs? I know they're NGK but are they platinum or iridium? I want to make sure I get the closest thing possible. This is NOT a high performance car.. just my daily driver.

Thanks!!

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Gap on plugs matters most when talking about plugs, then heat rating of the plug, and then what material its made of, Ir is like the middle ground between copper plugs and plat plugs.

Plat lasts the longest.

Just dont bother with double tiped plugs, such as Bosch +2 or +4 they're bullshit.

As for plug wires NGK are good, Bosch premium are nice as well, both offer virtualy oem fitment they both have about the same resistance per foot. MSD makes the lowest resistance plug wire(save for solid core grantelli, and despite what any company says (such as magnacore) lower resistance is better hands down.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
best plug and wire setup is stock, hands down.
HAHA, I seriously hope your kidding.

Stock ignition setup best maybe... until you HIGHLY modify the engine where a superior ignition system is actually needed.

I also perfer to remove the crush washer from the spark plugs of a farther reach into the combustion chamber, though the torqe spec is different and over tightening is easier to do, I don't recommend anyone without a good grasp of torquing parts or a torque wrench to do so.

I perfer NGK Iridium IX coupled with some plug wires under 1500 ohms per wire. So at that point, what ever is cheapest and fits the best. When selecting new plug wires you should always test fit them, and if thats not possible at the very least number your stock wires & dist if your confused easily, take the entire stock set in a store and visually compare them side by side.

And for the record pulstar plugs are horse shit incase anyone wondered about them.

· Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, any idea on WHEN they are supposed to be replaced? Plugs and wires? Distributor cap?

I'd go up to the dealer to buy replacements if need be, but I just need to know when they need to be done.

i was checking places like autozone, orielly's and they all ahve bosch (barf) plugs and wire sets. Hardly any denso sets but they did have a lot of NGK plugs, however, they have like 10 different kind of platinum and iridium 'styles' wasn't sure which was the OEM

· Registered
3,077 Posts
So, any idea on WHEN they are supposed to be replaced? Plugs and wires? Distributor cap?

I'd go up to the dealer to buy replacements if need be, but I just need to know when they need to be done.

i was checking places like autozone, orielly's and they all ahve bosch (barf) plugs and wire sets. Hardly any denso sets but they did have a lot of NGK plugs, however, they have like 10 different kind of platinum and iridium 'styles' wasn't sure which was the OEM
Theres these little books, they're called "Owners Manuals" * you should really look at them for once. They very well may contain the intervals your looking for. Also cross refrencing parts to see if the heat range in the plug is correct isnt hard. You just need to do a little reading and figure out what is best for what YOU want. Plugs don't make or break a car so they really arent anythign to get bent up on. NGK replacement plugs are good, Denso Iridium cost out the ass if you get the .7 mm firing tips ones, they're like 12-20 bucks a plug. The "advantage" they offer is less difficulty for the electricity to generate an arch because of the fine electrode tip.

Inspecting a part is always better than going by some "mileage" chart anyways. The mileage charts are just for averaged wear, every interval will more than likely differ based on how you drive and where you live.

Never go to a dealership unless you feel like paying WAY too much for someone to work on your car. Cause dealer guys will nearly ALWAYS try to upsell you. They do this when they meet ya, :) :hug :D then they break it off in your ass when you turn around.

* = If you browsed the damn stickeys youd know the Honda shop manuals are available online for FREE and will tell you everything you need to know about your car from what tools to use to the exact torque spec the bolts need. However if opening big zip files to read the PDF's is too hard, then by all means let those dealer guys reach DEEP in your pockets.:lmao

· Registered
4,086 Posts
duh dude, i know if you HIGHLY modify your engine then stocks not going to cut it, i read what he posted, he said he wanted to keep as daily driver therefore i didn't think he was talking about pushing 300+ hp tomorrow so i figured stock would be the best bet to remove all of the back and forth questioning of what he should do. just trying to keep it simple.

:checkit:

· Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Theres these little books, they're called "Owners Manuals" * you should really look at them for once. They very well may contain the intervals your looking for. Also cross refrencing parts to see if the heat range in the plug is correct isnt hard. You just need to do a little reading and figure out what is best for what YOU want. Plugs don't make or break a car so they really arent anythign to get bent up on. NGK replacement plugs are good, Denso Iridium cost out the ass if you get the .7 mm firing tips ones, they're like 12-20 bucks a plug. The "advantage" they offer is less difficulty for the electricity to generate an arch because of the fine electrode tip.

Inspecting a part is always better than going by some "mileage" chart anyways. The mileage charts are just for averaged wear, every interval will more than likely differ based on how you drive and where you live.

Never go to a dealership unless you feel like paying WAY too much for someone to work on your car. Cause dealer guys will nearly ALWAYS try to upsell you. They do this when they meet ya, :) :hug :D then they break it off in your ass when you turn around.

* = If you browsed the damn stickeys youd know the Honda shop manuals are available online for FREE and will tell you everything you need to know about your car from what tools to use to the exact torque spec the bolts need. However if opening big zip files to read the PDF's is too hard, then by all means let those dealer guys reach DEEP in your pockets.:lmao
Thanks... however, you couldn't be more inaccurate. BTW, I used to work at John Eagle Acura (Service) some years back, however, my owners manual does NOT list plug wires and dist. cap/rotor for the vehicle. The owners manual reads as follows..... I am not referring to the spark plugs replacement times, that's 90k miles on my vehicle. The manual does NOT suggest a time for replacing the plug wires, nor does it suggest replacing the distributor cap and rotor, WHICH MIGHT I ADD, the question remains unanswered.

Take the plug out of your ass, it's making you think you got a little pep in your step. :hehe

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Thanks... however, you couldn't be more inaccurate. BTW, I used to work at John Eagle Acura (Service) some years back, however, my owners manual does NOT list plug wires and dist. cap/rotor for the vehicle. The owners manual reads as follows..... I am not referring to the spark plugs replacement times, that's 90k miles on my vehicle. The manual does NOT suggest a time for replacing the plug wires, nor does it suggest replacing the distributor cap and rotor, WHICH MIGHT I ADD, the question remains unanswered.

Take the plug out of your ass, it's making you think you got a little pep in your step. :hehe
Theres this thing called inspection of parts. If Upon inspection you cant determine, well then I really don't know what to tell you.

Measure the resistance of the plug wires and check the factory tolerance specifications. Also check continuity for distributor/rotor. Also if you worked for a service center and you don't know the average intervals I wouldn't even note that you worked there. It just shows you didn't do what everyone should do when working : KNOW YOUR JOB!

Also if your implying a service manual doesn't tell you when a dist/rotor needs your full of it. Check the stickeys the manuals are there, and the maintence schedule is there as well. The owners manual doesn't say anything about dist/rotor/wires but it does say the plugs are to be replaced every 24Mo or 30,000 miles. Inspecting the rotor/dist is also every 30k, but replacement is only if it fails the inspection.

Again if you read the stickeys and check the shop manuals available you'd know all this. 5,000 posts? Do you read or just post?

· Registered
4,086 Posts
wow, why did a spark plug question turn into a such a freakin hassle? it's a forum, if peeps didn't ask questions(even the easy ones, or the ones others think are stupid) why bother having a forum? everybody's gotta lighten up a little. if help point someone in the right direction or give someone the minor one thing they didn't know, i would feel honored not annoyed by it.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
wow, why did a spark plug question turn into a such a freakin hassle? it's a forum.
Exactly, its a forum, lol not to mention is SHO. :D

No worries The_Producer I dont ever get pissed off on here lol, but man I do enjoy arguing. but not with WVU about nissans... that know-it-all ass.

EDIT:

Now now, neg repping isn't nice Producer lol. Even more so when I gave information which you should know by now. Considering your post count I'm amazed you've never read the stickeys which have downloads to the manuals for your car. Just take your car to a service center and let them rob you blind already.

· Registered
782 Posts
Exactly, its a forum, lol not to mention is SHO. :D

No worries The_Producer I dont ever get pissed off on here lol, but man I do enjoy arguing. but not with WVU about nissans... that know-it-all ass.

EDIT:

Now now, neg repping isn't nice Producer lol. Even more so when I gave information which you should know by now. Considering your post count I'm amazed you've never read the stickeys which have downloads to the manuals for your car. Just take your car to a service center and let them rob you blind already.
Post count is not equal to knowledge.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Post count is not equal to knowledge.
Very much so, infact there could be a debate on that being the most factual thing on SHO :lmao

· Registered
4,086 Posts
the more post counts should equal some gain of knowledge though, post count goes up when you're going back and forth with someone learning something new, supposably :wtf2:

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Very much so, infact there could be a debate on that being the most factual thing on SHO :lmao
you better fucking watch yourself ******. The man was just asking a simple question. If you want to be a dick, go to OT and be a dick.

Reactions: 91EGGURA

· Registered
3,077 Posts
you better fucking watch yourself ******. The man was just asking a simple question. If you want to be a dick, go to OT and be a dick.
lol pft w/e. The question he was asking is something you and probably many other people would absolutely flame a noob for and him having thousands of posts and not knowing.. give me a break. I still say he should have known. I'm far from being a dick to him Smarmy maybe..

Eh to each his own, who pissed in your cherrios?

· Registered
41,903 Posts
lol pft w/e. The question he was asking is something you and probably many other people would absolutely flame a noob for and him having thousands of posts and not knowing.. give me a break. I still say he should have known. I'm far from being a dick to him Smarmy maybe..

Eh to each his own, who pissed in your cherrios?
he should have known? oh i forgot we are all born with the knowledge of when our plugs needed changed. He wasnt asking a stupid question, he had done some research and was unsure of some things so he came in here to get some advice. I only flame noobs when they dont do any research and come in asking "WHICH PLUGZ FOR MAH VTACHZ"

Reactions: mattliston
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.