Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a gsr block and a buddy of mine is givin me 12:1 pistons, the real question is what head will i need as of now all i have is the block, he says its safe but the whole motor will be rebuilt, where can i find rods to hadle that power and what head should i use i know im goin with skunk2 high compression internals up top

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
handle what power? you won't be making that much power. stock rods are good to 300whp on boosted setups....and any b-series vtec head will fit a gsr block...how do you have high compression internals up top? when internals belong in the bottom end?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
handle what power? you won't be making that much power. stock rods are good to 300whp on boosted setups....and any b-series vtec head will fit a gsr block...how do you have high compression internals up top? when internals belong in the bottom end?
I think he is referring to larger valves, shaving, and gasket. Lol. From all the questions I have seen him post, I think he needs to research everything it takes to build a motor.

And to nemo, please don't find that offensive or negative. It's just my observation on your post.

12:1 and a built head, will probably put you to around 160 or 180 to the wheels (depending on your cams). That's not counting headers, cai or sri, and exhaust. With a stock intake manifold, injectors, throttle body, fuel rail, fuel pump, head gasket, port and unpolished head, etc.

Stock rods, B16, GSR, or even a Type-R head will fit. I would personally go with a ported and polished GSR head to improve flow and up your compression more than the B16 or Type-R head. The B16 head is the cheapest option, Type-R is the costly option. Although porting and polishing a B16 head and throwing in Type-R parts would make it a cheaper Type-R head, but those same Type-R parts in a GSR with a pnp would still yeild a better power band because the mid range is better.

There is a lot of things that you could do. Just research a few things and I am sure you'll find out everything you need to know, and expect criticism along the way. It's common, just don't let it get you down.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
He needs to learn why boost makes more power. I'll help out a little.

Your going to compress a volume of air and fuel say 15 times. As you compress air it heats up right? Well in a NA setup you doing all tha compression at one time, as to compared with boost where let's say your compression ratio is 7.5:1 half of what the na is. Now let's throw 14.7 lbs of boost to that 7.5 compression ratio motor. Effective compression is now the same. Here's where boost rapes the n/a and has such a higher efficiency- a turbocharged car gets to cool down the air in the middle of it's compression where a na car does not. This is why when comparing effective compression ratio a turbo car can always compress more air before detonation/preignition occurs.

Torque makes hp you get minimal torque from increasing compression ratio when you compare it to boosted car. If you want more torque then you need to burn more fuel which requires more air.

That's enough info for now.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
So what exactly are your goals with this build? Power wise? Usage wise? Etc.
This^^^^

He has too many no offense but it sounds more like a wish list than actual build list with some of the statements being made.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
no one wants to turbo anything so get over that bra....
Its better in virtually any aspect you look at than some ridiculously high compression setup.

Its on the same grounds of my friend trying to rev to 11000 rpm with a 4age engine from the Toyota corolla. its just pointless when there are much better ways to make identical or better power without sacrificing reliability. With high compression motors there is always that high compression stress, with a boosted car its only when you have your foot into it.

I'm only giving you better ideas than throwing your money away into a N/A setup that will still lack power unless you dump loads of money into it. Your not derek'(a forum member who knows how to build N/A setups that can outrun some boosted ones) so the odds of you getting enough time, money and skill to get this done is highly unlikely.

If you had those 3 things you wouldn't be here asking us for advice.

I also agree with darkness as the wish list goes.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
15:1 compression motor though?
that forum member that outruns boosted cars is 9400rpms....and they're mostly stock sti's and mildly modded srt-4's or otherwise inexeperienced drivers. just saying a properly setup boosted car will always outrun the same car in n/a granted both cars are built with the same intensity.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
i only used the 15:1 compression for an example so he could better understand why boosted setup is better, not only do you get the same compressive value without the detonation risk, but your intake charge is cooler at the time of the spark event AND theres physically more air to burn more fuel. How can't that be a total win situation?

Yea but his motor didnt last too long , I think he chummed it up to an oil starvation issue. However a boosted motor making the same power or more power even, will most likely see more miles and when built and tuned right.

his N/A setup cost a great deal of money and for someone NOT in his area of work would cost even more. Then after you empty your wallet for this motor you get outrun by a properly built small budget boosted car which cost 1/3rd the price.

Its just befuddling to me that new users who are all about this high compression N/A crap and wont listen to boosted ideas don't get the bigger picture that their motors are TINY and can't displace a the volume of air contained in an empty 2 liter. yet they want more power with the same amount of air.

If hes still all about this N/a garbage and being slow he needs to look at head work and intake/exhaust modification before he wastes money on a high compression engine build. You can always throw in a higher compression engine, but it takes some time to really work out a custom made intake system that will really help the car breathe better at speeds.

Id rather just run lightweight aluminum rods and pistons that even bump up the compression(id let decking the block and planing the head do that) while I got larger valves and a 3 angle job done. I don;t think he understand how much power can be made by reducing the weight by 4 ounces on the reciprocating assembly either over an insane compression jump.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
i thought this forum was not intended for the purpose of bitching about how turbo's are better.:)
or read his first post in this thread and see why he doesn't make any sense with high comp internals in the head? .

15:1 compression makes me :cry

but mort is a little obsessed with boost :lmao

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
boost vs. NA is all dependent on what you want.

and i can assure you stock rods will handle more than 300whp.

btw, about derek....im hoping he brings his car to IFO nov 6th so i can put a wooping on his ass in the all motor pro class

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
i only used the 15:1 compression for an example so he could better understand why boosted setup is better, not only do you get the same compressive value without the detonation risk, but your intake charge is cooler at the time of the spark event AND theres physically more air to burn more fuel. How can't that be a total win situation?

Yea but his motor didnt last too long , I think he chummed it up to an oil starvation issue. However a boosted motor making the same power or more power even, will most likely see more miles and when built and tuned right.

his N/A setup cost a great deal of money and for someone NOT in his area of work would cost even more. Then after you empty your wallet for this motor you get outrun by a properly built small budget boosted car which cost 1/3rd the price.

Its just befuddling to me that new users who are all about this high compression N/A crap and wont listen to boosted ideas don't get the bigger picture that their motors are TINY and can't displace a the volume of air contained in an empty 2 liter. yet they want more power with the same amount of air.

If hes still all about this N/a garbage and being slow he needs to look at head work and intake/exhaust modification before he wastes money on a high compression engine build. You can always throw in a higher compression engine, but it takes some time to really work out a custom made intake system that will really help the car breathe better at speeds.

Id rather just run lightweight aluminum rods and pistons that even bump up the compression(id let decking the block and planing the head do that) while I got larger valves and a 3 angle job done. I don;t think he understand how much power can be made by reducing the weight by 4 ounces on the reciprocating assembly either over an insane compression jump.
I dont post anymore on forums, but to correct the information, i snapped a clutch pressure plate in half.. I drove it like that for 9 months before i found out.. by that time it had beaten out the mains because the motor was unbalanced.. Still trapped 110.23mph in a full interior GSR with it going out the door.

Motors been rebuilt, since then, running my custom cams, and its stronger, faster, and making more power then ever.. oh and its a EG..

And me and blake should be able to take the south by storm with our daily driven street cars..My car should make anywhere from 240-260whp and be good for a 11 second daily driven car..which is fast enough to destory most turbo setup cars that are on the street..
You can find a few videos of my car on youtube..search for my channel, 9400rpms.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Glad to know it wasn't a bearing issue that orginally caused the problem.

Most people don't build turbo street cars very well, we both know that. Everyone tends to use unmatching performance parts.

How's your skill with tunning higher comp e85 turbo builds? Was thinking of making one soon if this area gets someplace with E85. Say 10.5:1 on a built up f22b1 with a gt2860rs. :D

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Glad to know it wasn't a bearing issue that orginally caused the problem.

Most people don't build turbo street cars very well, we both know that. Everyone tends to use unmatching performance parts.

How's your skill with tunning higher comp e85 turbo builds? Was thinking of making one soon if this area gets someplace with E85. Say 10.5:1 on a built up f22b1 with a gt2860rs. :D
I was recently flown up to boston to tune a few cars.. E85 just requires a different target AFR and a better fuel system then regular pump gas does.. E85 allows for more timing and better overall power to a point.

My business has expanded quite a good bit since i've last been active on here.. But with the recent increase of "know it alls" on forums i've decided to just stop trying to help, because the more i helped, the more haters i had against me...because i was doing something they couldn't do. IF you need any help from me, you can contact me @ [email protected] or DDTECHCAMS.COM for my contact information, i'll be happy to help you learn or teach you anything you would want to know.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
I dont post anymore on forums, but to correct the information, i snapped a clutch pressure plate in half.. I drove it like that for 9 months before i found out.. by that time it had beaten out the mains because the motor was unbalanced.. Still trapped 110.23mph in a full interior GSR with it going out the door.

Motors been rebuilt, since then, running my custom cams, and its stronger, faster, and making more power then ever.. oh and its a EG..

And me and blake should be able to take the south by storm with our daily driven street cars..My car should make anywhere from 240-260whp and be good for a 11 second daily driven car..which is fast enough to destory most turbo setup cars that are on the street..
You can find a few videos of my car on youtube..search for my channel, 9400rpms.
yeah we'll see if you're still saying that when i'm done mine :p ...i'm thinking jdm gsr as my next power plant and build it while it's out of the car then swap it in for the ls.....then some kind of ball bearing turbo for for the 340-350whp range. i don't need any more than that and i wan't to be able to actually turn lol..i intend to keep p/s and a/c. i want a fast fully functional/comfortable street car :p...

already got some 15x8 wheels that are 12.8 lbs a piece :-D

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
I was recently flown up to boston to tune a few cars.. E85 just requires a different target AFR and a better fuel system then regular pump gas does.. E85 allows for more timing and better overall power to a point.

My business has expanded quite a good bit since i've last been active on here.. But with the recent increase of "know it alls" on forums i've decided to just stop trying to help, because the more i helped, the more haters i had against me...because i was doing something they couldn't do. IF you need any help from me, you can contact me @ [email protected] or DDTECHCAMS.COM for my contact information, i'll be happy to help you learn or teach you anything you would want to know.
i would like e85 more if you could get decent gas mileage out of it. prolly the reason i never considered it.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I seen the thread title and thought someone was running Diesel fuel :lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts