Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i've been trying to get some information about this but i can't find any. The problem is, right now i got 17" wheels on my SI, and my friend has a 2000 GS-R and wants to trade his 15" "Blades" wheels for my 17". Now, what size would be better for race? (that's all i care!). Should i do it? Some of my friends tell me to get the 15", they say i would get better 1/4mile times.
Right now i'm running 15.6sec with the 17" wheels.
What do you think?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they're light, i got 17" TSW Eurace wheels (23.3lbs) a piece without tires. What do you think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is what I have heard from my friends, and also from other 1/4 runners, is that smaller rims, and also lighter rims take less time to go around 1 full time, so it might shave off some time on your e.t. But i havent really actually tried to do it, i got 16's on mine and i run high 14's, but i never went with anything smaller. so I dont really know what will happen. I think it might work though

·
Registered
508 Posts
A smaller wheel will change the gearing you that you accelerate faster, but you will loose some top speed. e.i. fast trap times. A bigger wheel will change the gearing so that you have slower acceleration and faster trap times. Wheel weight will also play a factor. Especially on accleration.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
You_Get_Vapors said:
A smaller wheel will change the gearing you that you accelerate faster, but you will loose some top speed. e.i. fast trap times. A bigger wheel will change the gearing so that you have slower acceleration and faster trap times. Wheel weight will also play a factor. Especially on accleration.
he is talking about the wheel, but you are talking about overall wheel/tire diameter. These two things are VERY different. In his case of changing the wheels, gearing won't be affected.

Just think about it logically. Is it easier to turn something big and heavy or small and light? The larger/heavier 17" wheel is going to be harder to turn and take longer to get up to speed. So you will lose some acceleration off the line with the larger 17"s.

So you should definately improve your times with the 15s, but I really don't have any idea of how much faster you will be.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
ud be faster but i wouldnt trade ur wheels for gsr wheels. they weigh like 16 pounds. save up and get some forged wheels. im about to get some 17in ssr's that weigh only 13lbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts