Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1500 for paint? seems insane

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  solsykness 
#1 ·
i found out the stang i bought for 1900 bucks has a custom red paintjob and i went to 3 places and just to get the door and qtr panel painted its 1500 for the cheapest place does that seem insane to anyone else? should i have em do the hole car? i got no idea what to do...i had no idea the paint was custom untill after i got the car

#2 ·
i had a bumber painted by a friend ...

the cost of the paint job- $250

paint is expensive. there's lots of work involved, sanding, sanding, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, sanding, painting, sanding, sanding, clearing, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding

did i mention sanding :)

#3 ·
but all the body work is done he just needs to rescuff and paint it then wet sand then clearcoat then wetsand

#4 ·
soltrain said:
but all the body work is done he just needs to rescuff and paint it then wet sand then clearcoat then wetsand
depends on how big the area is then. for that price i'd want a near perfect match in the paint. which with a custom paint mix is going to be near impossible.

#6 ·
never go macco they painted my taurus and it had more waves and runs than an ocean pay the extra money...

#7 ·
Paint is expensive but not that expensive. That seems a little ridiculous. My uncle painted everything except my roof and trunk for a little under $500. Family deals kick ass. Anyways, I like how you have the Oblivion thing in your sig. Such a sweet game.

#9 ·
soltrain said:
never go macco they painted my taurus and it had more waves and runs than an ocean pay the extra money...
maaco jobs now carry a warranty...don't know how long that's been going, but that's what they've been advertising. I got my whole car painted and had the kit and fenders installed for 900...but that's what happens when you know some ppl who know some ppl, nah mean? :rolleyes

#10 ·
the key word here is CUSTOM paint job. the reason its so expensive is most likely because the shop will have a hard time matching the exact paint. in order to do that they'll need time. time=money. its always a good idea to have some extra paint when you have a custom color. in you situation its understandable not to have extra paint since you're not the one one who had it painted like that.

blackdelsol94 said:
My uncle painted everything except my roof and trunk for a little under $500. Family deals kick ass
this guy doesnt have someone in the family and his paint is custom.

solsykness said:
maaco jobs now carry a warranty...don't know how long that's been going, but that's what they've been advertising. I got my whole car painted and had the kit and fenders installed for 900...but that's what happens when you know some ppl who know some ppl, nah mean? :rolleyes
again, not everyone can get deals like you guys. and even if maaco warranties the paint job, i wouldnt want my car to go back to them every 3-6mo to redo it. my best friends 92 integra ls was painted by maaco. it started pealing not even 2 months after the paint job. and it made an orange look good. i could of done a better job with some paint and roller from home depot. then he took it to a different maaco to have it fixed and......same story. not even 6 months later the paint started chipping.

#12 ·
Hehe..I'm seriously laughing at this..This is my situation..Kid who had my sol before, said he paid 300 for a single coat paint..and that doesn't include jams or engine bay..and it looks like shit..just painted over alll the rust etc (and my whole QP is rust on the inside..i could punch a hole through it)...So, my buddy paints for the high school in auto body shop..painted his hatch, clean as hell..so for a little bit more than the sigle coat paint cost, I am getting new metal and fiberglass everywhere that needs fixed, full primer job, and all the jams and outside painted black, with blue pearl, and maybe a metallic finish..lets just say i am paying no more than $400...and it will be done in 1 month, them working on it 10 hours a week.

#13 ·
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
the key word here is CUSTOM paint job. the reason its so expensive is most likely because the shop will have a hard time matching the exact paint. in order to do that they'll need time. time=money. its always a good idea to have some extra paint when you have a custom color. in you situation its understandable not to have extra paint since you're not the one one who had it painted like that.

this guy doesnt have someone in the family and his paint is custom.

again, not everyone can get deals like you guys. and even if maaco warranties the paint job, i wouldnt want my car to go back to them every 3-6mo to redo it. my best friends 92 integra ls was painted by maaco. it started pealing not even 2 months after the paint job. and it made an orange look good. i could of done a better job with some paint and roller from home depot. then he took it to a different maaco to have it fixed and......same story. not even 6 months later the paint started chipping.
well I was just stating that maaco warranties their jobs...I don't know much about them, just what I see on the commercials...and EVERYONE can get deals...you just gotta talk to ppl and get to know them...ask them where they got this and that done...see if they can get you the hook up and what not...if the ppl like you enough they'll get you in on the deals, if not then you're S.O.L. I know he has no control over the whole CUSTOM PAINT thing...as he was not the one who had it done...but if he wants it taken care of he's gonna have to fork over the loot...end of story :aww

#18 ·
gxsx said:
no wayy.. did you check em out online? they have pretty good prices, i was gonna get it done a while back, 300 something for painting the whole car, and the the body kit(which was not mounted.. with a warranty and all..
sounds like maaco :p but seriously, I'd just take it to a custom shop and get it done REAL nice ;) for a fair price...

#19 ·
im paying about 1300 or so when i get my front end fixed for a new paint job, my brother in laws cousin does it so he told me anything i want for 1000, but im getting lots of extra clear put on it, i was thinking champ white, but i may just keep it black :confused

#21 ·
timtim123 said:
im paying about 1300 or so when i get my front end fixed for a new paint job, my brother in laws cousin does it so he told me anything i want for 1000, but im getting lots of extra clear put on it, i was thinking champ white, but i may just keep it black :confused
are you also getting the engine bay painted? if not, I'd just keep it black...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.