Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the pros/cons of a 17" LCD vs a 19" LCD??

I mean.. is there really that big of a difference? I am not looking at wide screens, but I do want a new monitor and I do want either one of those sizes, but are the 19" LCD's really worth the extra 20-50$$?

Can someone give me some PRO/CONS of them? IF any exist...

Thanks!!

I am using a 17" CRT right now from DELL, that gets super hot and takes up a desk on it's own... :noo

EDIT: I will be using it for light gaming and multimedia, specifically audio/video production.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
your 17" CRT will have a smaller viewing area than the 17" LCD. so if you're fine with your CRT then you'll be fine with the 17" LCD. But for me, i find anything lower than 19" just way too small. I have two 20.1" LCD right now and they're the perfect size. I am eyeing the 24" and 30" though. i say try to get the largest you can afford. you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
That's not a bad LCD ...but if you are going to game I suggest an LCD with an 8ms response.

This is a pretty good monitor for the money HERE

but this is what I really recommend. :) HERE

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
12ms is fine. I have 12ms grey-to-grey (16ms black-to-white) and i have no problem playing unreal tournament, star wars: battlefront 2, counterstrike:source. the 500:1 contrast isn't all that. mine is at 600:1 and it could be better. but it's a decent price.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good thing i asked because i for some reason thought the MS response was higher the better... i dont know what the hell i was thinking...

the HANNS one... your first link, know anything about that company? or does that really not matter?

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
im gonna have to check that one that you recommended gurusan. thats a good price and got good reviews. is that good for a lot of gaming?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
AlTrOnX said:
im gonna have to check that one that you recommended gurusan. thats a good price and got good reviews. is that good for a lot of gaming?
The BenQ one? Definitely good for gaming..it's perfect for gaming. Anything under 16ms is good for gaming...8ms is awesome.

And over at the computer forum I frequent people seem to get boners over these BenQ LCD monitors so it seems as if the reviews are great. :)

fuckin nerds....are you happy to see me or are you just thinking about a BenQ LCD monitor?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
djcaseanova said:
Wow...that;s an awesome deal. Looks like a good monitor too.

And widescreen is great...but...remember that if you game you will have to run in the full resolution for it to look right. On an LCD screen you need to run in max resolution for it to look right, otherwise stuff will look fuzzy and weird.

In other words....your 3d games may look fine and play smoothly on 1024x768...but at 1440 x 900 they may start to skip.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about movies and stuff? How does that end up looking on a LCD? If absolutely necessary, I could keep this POS crt tucked away for games and use the widescreen or LCD for typical daily grind.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
For movies the LCD is awesome.

And you can still game....sometimes the monitor can display 1024 x 768 ok...my Dell LCD does.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
recently got an HP 1955, 19" and 1000:1 contrast ratio, that thing is way better than my old Viewsonic 17" CRt (which was the shit like 5 years ago :byye )it is also 16ms but I can still game, no ghosting

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i absolutely HATE HP PRODUCTS... every single HP item I've ever owned has been crap. driver issues and everything else... :eek

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
When's the last time you tried them out? Their products have improved quite a bit...I'm a fan of their printers...however I use a Canon because I love Canon more. :p

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
djcaseanova said:
i absolutely HATE HP PRODUCTS... every single HP item I've ever owned has been crap. driver issues and everything else... :eek
I used to hate them also but at my new work we have only HP and they seem not to have any issues at all because it is the business line, HP1955 is part of the business line also :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts