Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Newbie here..I am planning on buying some ADR Sokudos White finish for my 88..and am seeing alot or heard that 18"s are no good for it. Is it the look thats no good or is that the handling and lowering cant be done with them on..which would make it handle better.
For me I'm not doing it for racing. I just prefer 18's for the look of it. Whats your opinions?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
njn63 said:
:nod

CRX's with 18's usually are like 10" off the ground (even when lowered to elimiinate wheel gap). Also, they're heavy and just too big for the car to move with. I personally thing 16's are as big as i'd go and i prefer 15's

werd.

where you located in Chicago?

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
18's are way too big for a CRX. They look like 24s on some truck. They handle like shit, and the tires you'll have will be rubber bands. I don't think you can really even lower your car with 18s...

If you're building a race CRX, get 15s. If you want a bit of show, get 16s. I have 16s on my CRX, which is my daily driver, and I would never want anything bigger. They just seem to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am in support of the rest of the people here. anything bigger than 16" wheels will have a negative affect on handling. with 18's you lose any bit of ride quality you once had, car will lose it's bite in the corners, gas mileage goes to shit, lose some acceleration, etc. 17's are about the biggest wheel you see on them and i think those are a shade too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for input, as yes I am fairly new to this whole auto world. Learning slow. Figured they were too big. Guess I will look around for 16's or 17's.. Peace!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
well i have 17's and they are pushing it and i havent lowered my car yet either but i do have a WW body kit so my car doesnt look that bad without the drop personally i would get 16's with a body kit 15's or maybe smaller without

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
IMO they don't look bad, but then again, look are a matter of opinion anyway. It great that you came on here asking for other people opinion, just don't ask for yours. Like I said, I like the way 18"s look, but if I run any thing its going to be 16". Mainly because of tire cost and peformance... even though 15" might give me better peformance, 16" just look better.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
njn63 said:
i'm in the greektown/little italy/uic area. You?

And also, larger rims will ride like shit because of the small sidewall tires.

i'm in northwest suburbs. i live like 10 minutes away from deer park/ barrington/ mundelien

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I bought the 18's anyways, I'm going for look more. I'm not into racing or anything like that..just love the rex..Thanks again all for options and opinons..good to know these things..ciao.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
njn63 said:
Good to see you value our opinion.
Come on man, its his money and his car. Look at it this way the show car segment of the sportcompact market is an exaggeration of style. If you want to build a good show car you want to put someting on you car thats going to make people look at it. Don't forget, a show cars has a LOT longer life span than a race car.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
njn63 said:
haha, i know. But why ask a question if you're just going to do something as retarted as putting 18's on a crx? My friend has 17's on his EF Hatch and it's alright, rides horrible though and it's higher than my car.
Thats what they make fender rolling (or widebody), bodykits, and lowering springs for.

·
Registered
540 Posts
CRX-Canuck said:
Well I bought the 18's anyways, I'm going for look more. I'm not into racing or anything like that..just love the rex..Thanks again all for options and opinons..good to know these things..ciao.
well if ur going for show dont get 18s unless u want to put it in the local monster truck off....im sure u could go up against bigfoot or the graverdigger.....ooooooooooooooohhhh yeeeeaaaaaaaa

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
CRX-Canuck said:
Glad you decided to go with what you wanted, and not what a whole bunch of SHO whores like us think. I still think you'll find out soon enough that 18s will ride like absolute shit, and you wont be able to lower the car very much at all. I bet you'll either sell the 18s, or keep them and buy a new and smaller set of wheels for driving around. I know Vancouver has good roads, but it only takes one pot hole or big bump to dent a rim, especially if it's riding on rubber bands like the 18s will be. I'm predicting all of this because I'm under the assumption you do know how to properly take care of a car, and you wont just rice out another precious CRX.

...Then again I could be totally wrong...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I said yes i am new the crx world but have always admired them and want to learn more about them as i hope to do in the future as i work on it. And to me ricing out car is in ones own mind..I hate riced out cars..but i do love a car to look pretty. To much can be a bad thing i agree which is why i am not putting alot of time into the outerbody as i want to put into the inner workings of it. And yes i do value your opinons "but" I value mine more. Which basically is all that matters.
I'm sure since i am new i will heckled but shit..thats whats it all about..learning. Peace!

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
njn63 said:
most likely because the people that put 18's on crx's don't care about the heritage or anything about the car really. I wish they'd just stick to Civic's and stay away from cars i like.
Haha, very true. I couldn't ever waste my money ruining a rex like that, im riding 13" steelies untill my 15" slipstreams come in... :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts