Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... before I start... I want to tell you all I'm a major Honda Newb! I drive a Nissan 300ZX Z32 NA and I was never really big fan of most Honda's. I do however have had much respect for those guys running clean all-motor Civic's. I know next to nothing about Honda's, their engine codes, and what is what. I'm however not completely retarded...

I'm on the verge of picking up a 1987 Civic Four Door for a whole $200. Runs but it's overheating.... no white smoke so I'm guessing it's maybe the thermostat (I know this is not the tech side of the forum).

I was hoping maybe someone can give more info on this model of Civic and maybe some possible swap combo's that I might be able to hook up. Are there any mods availble? I've done some searching on the web and this forum and I have come up with zilch. I'm pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with this not being a very popular mod platform... y'right!

I'm going to use this car as a daliy driver but would not mind hooking her up and making it a nice clean car... Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
hey man, that there new ride you got is considered a "third gen" civic, and while it's not a terrible platform to start with, it isn't the most popular either. and not just because of its age!

1) doesn't have double wishbone suspension. no idea what kind of suspension set up, but i know it doesn't have the famous double wishbone, which honda first brought to the Civic line in 1988.

2) depending on which trim level, yours might have a carb'd motor. carbs aren't necessarily a bad thing IMO, but it's easier to find lots of mods for the fuel injected ones.

3) next to no body mods around anymore. actually, i don't recall if there ever were a lot of body mods for that generation, especially the 4 door.

HOWEVER, i do believe that any D series or B series can be swapped into that chassis, with a little bit of work for the Bs. one good choice to consider is the infamous JDM D15B, which all the D-heads are going nuts over lately (and there's tons of them out there too!). you can find a lot of good info on them in the tech forum.

it does use the classic 4X100 bolt pattern, so your wheel choices are pretty good. one of the best third gen hatches that i ever saw ran a set of '90-'91 CRX Si rims, i thought those looked perfect on that car. if you want something in 15", maybe some Rota Slips? just depends on what you want i guess.

exhaust wise, you're pretty much stuck with custom work, i've never seen a cat back system for that gen sedan. intake, if you do a motor swap you might be able to use an intake for that motor. haven't looked inside a third gen engine bay in a long time, so i dunno. same goes for a header.

i do know that at one point in time, suspension mods were plentiful for the third gen hatches, and i'd assume that those same parts would work on the sedan. i have no idea where you'd get any of those parts though.

basically anything else you do is going to have to be all custom. IE: it can be done, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

oh, and get some pics up in the 4-door thread! you'd be the only third gen in there, and i for one would be delighted to see it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was starting think no-ne would reply... a motor swap may be in the future for this lil' Honda since the current motor has not been run in over 3 years. Hopefully I can swap in some suspension mods. As far as body goes... I have a buddy in Okinawa that may be able to get me some nice JDM (stock) peices as well as some nice wheels. I will post pix of my Civic as soon as I'm able to... thanks a million! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.