Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having lots of trouble in my car. Its a 1988 civic 1500cc 16 valve non *****h engine.done about 170k. ok let me list it out for u guys

1. First of all it sounds like a diesel engine. my guess is valves. If so please let me have some links how to adjust it.

2. It accelerates ok but as i switch on the air conditioner the engine extremely lacks power. Sometimes overheats as well.

3. As i start it smokes a little (blue) but after few seconds its fine.

4. sparkplug gets a bit of oil around it (wire).

i'm a newbe so bit of explanation will be a great help thanks.

:rolleyes

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
1) not sure maybe you have an exhaust leak in the piping or something to that effect

2) any civic will extremely lack power when the a/c comes on. but if it over heats then you may need to add/change the coolant.

3 & 4) this is related, the blue smoke at startup is oil being burnt. so more than likey there is a gasket that needs to be replaced, and since you say there is oil around the sparkwires then i'd lean toward these small o-rings that are around the sparkplug chamber.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
1. The valves are ajustable, download the manual and look up the procedure, it's easy to do. http://honda.icelord.net/downloads/Auto/Manuals/

2. As said before the lack of power is normal. It is probably over heating because the condinser fan is probably not kicking on. You should have two fans on your radiator. One of them should run all the time when the a/c is on, if not then overheating will occur.

3. Not related to 4. That smoke occurs because your valve seals and/or guides are worn out, as time goes on that smoke will come out at an idle also.

4. There is O-rings that meet at the head and the tubes your wires go down, those are probably good. Then where the valve cover meets those tubes there is gaskets that can be bought from a parts store or the dealer and they are cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick replies. Anywayz the a/c prob is very unusual cos my friends car is the same and it doesn’t lack power at all when the a/c is switched on. so there is something seriously wrong with my car either with the compressor or the engine.

my guess is due to valve leakage it lacks power and over heats (both fans work when a/c is switched on). Correct me if i'm wrong here.

i'm goner go ahead and adjust the valves and change the seals if needed and see if that will make a difference.

thanks again...

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Worn out valve seal won't cause a loss of power, the valves needing adjusted can cause a little power loss, I would check your ign and cam timing also. You should probably replace your plug wires if they have been oil soaked.
For the overheating check your coolant level when the car is cold, should be up to the radiator cap. Maybe a coolant flush and new thermostat would help this problem.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Cam timing, ignition timing, need of a tune up, low compression, does it have any DTCs (with key on look at the ecm and if there is a red light blinking at you this is the DTCs)? What trim is it? DX, HF? Is it a 4sp? In that case that would be why it doesn't accelerate.

·
Registered
908 Posts
xlr_8r said:
thanks for the quick replies. Anywayz the a/c prob is very unusual cos my friends car is the same and it doesn’t lack power at all when the a/c is switched on. so there is something seriously wrong with my car either with the compressor or the engine.
It's not unusual at all. Get back in his car (drive it yourself if you can), drive around with the A/C on. While accelerating, switch the A/C off, you'll be accelerating faster now. You can feel it even better uphill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts