Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've got a honda Civic DX manual 5 speed 1.5L, and its been a great car, has a total of 239k miles on, and has always been in a good condition, recently whats been going on though is I've been having some issues getting it to run, it all started a few weeks back when i was driving around town, and all the sudden the car feeled as though it lost power, when i tried to give it gas it would act as if it wasnt even pumping it, and then i would pull over, turn the car off(it would kind of stutter while pulling over), turn it off, and fire it right back up. I'd say this happened probably 4 times total over a 1 week period. Well now I've gotten to the point where the car doesnt start at all, When turning the key over, the CEL turns on, then off after 2 seconds as designed, you can hear the main relay click, and the fuel pump engage, I can turn it over, it fires up(sounds like its misfiring sort of), runs for 2 seconds, stutters a little, chokes and dies basically.

I've repalced the spark plugs with NGK plugs, Distributer cap, wire, router, Main Relay, and the Fuel filter, and 02 sensor(was getting this code back from the passenger floorboard, after replacing, reset ECU, no more codes) so far, I dont think it has an issue mechanically because the other day after not working for a week or so, it randomly decided to start working, but for only 1 day, during that one day it ran perfectly fine, didnt have trouble starting, or driving, almost seemed in perfect conditiion, the next morning, same thing, no start, would start then die after sounding like it misfired. I've read it could be a number of diffeent issues, i just need some guidance, it seems like the car has a chance of working sometimes, and then sometimes doesnt, those times it does work it runs in perfect condition, and those times it doesnt almost seems hopeless. I havnt cleaned the IACV or the EGR, and I have checked all fuses of course, none are blown. What could possible be causing this random problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly im unsure of what the issue could be, I have not taken a look at the fuel injectors yet, however if they where in a fault condition, wouldnt they just not work period? rather then working sometimes fine and sometimes not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have fuel pressure, tested it with the filter but unbolting it slightly, turning the car over, and the pressure is there, I'm no mechanic by any means, but from what I've read I think I've got an idea of what it could be, but a second opinion never hurts.

So..The IACV? I've read that if this gets clogged to much with carbon, it will cause reduction in power, fluctuation of idling, and in extreme situation, a case where your car will start, run for 1-2 seconds, and stall(My exact scenario), The question is, why did the car not start for 5 days, and then run 1 day perfectly fine, and now hasnt ran for antoher 5 days. That leads me to believe it could be something electrical, which I figured maybe the igintion coiler? Or even a bad cable or loose in the distributor itself?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts