Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear ended 10 days ago by a truck who hit me up high in the hatch, no frame damage, he didn't even touch my bumper, just ruined the hatch and its seating. That day I drove it home to reassess, she ran fine with just a slight scent of fuel in the car (I thought this was due to the missing hatch window). There are no leaks, nothing else looks disturbed.

I determined I could pound out the damage enough to fit a new hatch on there in poor man style (times are tight, friends) After a weekend with a slide hammer, and a new hatch from the junk yard when I tried to move it, my poor civic would not start. I can hear the fuel tank pressurizing (the whir sounds off, but I don't remember hearing it in the past). I checked the fuses, the main relay and those check out. The distributor, rotor and coil are recent new same for spark plugs, and air filter. I checked for spark and that checks out. It almost seems like I have a fuel issue, but I didn't prior to letting it sit these last 10 days.... Is it possible I damaged the fuel tank with my poor man's body work?

I am gonna get some Sea Foam tomorrow and treat the fuel in the tank. Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated.
Thanks and Happy Summer

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
Check lines, wiring to pump, and all associated electronics back towards the fuel tank. It is also possible you grounded something out, so check your fuses/relays.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@accord sleeper. Thanks for the reply. I've tried googling, but haven't been able to find anything helpful... do you know if there are any grounds from the fuel tank that lead up in the spare tire compartment, or behind the plastic paneling in the hatch? if not where might I find fuel tank grounds?

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
@accord sleeper. Thanks for the reply. I've tried googling, but haven't been able to find anything helpful... do you know if there are any grounds from the fuel tank that lead up in the spare tire compartment, or behind the plastic paneling in the hatch? if not where might I find fuel tank grounds?
I've actually never owned a Civic, so I'm unsure of their wiring schematics (only Honda I ever owned was an 01 Accord sedan). Dave raises a valid point though, so I'll reiterate: let the insurance take care of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I am letting the insurance pay for the damages but my goal is to do the repair myself so I can use the extra coinage for a rainy day. I talked to a mechanic I deliver to, and he thinks it is highly unlikely I could have fubared anything with my body work... Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there power to the fuel pump itself?

THanks for the reply Daveb. I haven't run a multi-meter to the wire directly related to the fuel pump, but I can hear it wiring when I turn the ignition to accessory, and when I spray some starter fluid into the intake she will start up and run until that fuel has dissipated. I loosened the nut on the fuel filter and then had a friend turn the key to pressurize the fuel tank, I got a small trickle but not a spray like you can see in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpP4wxBvpA

I am thinking I need a new fuel filter and to replace the fuel pump... Any other thoughts or corrections to my process will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more response to Daveb's question : I didn't propely answer your question. I am not sure if there is power getting to the fuel pump, I am not exactly sure how to test that. If I can hear it whirring during pressurization doesn't that mean it is getting power?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts