Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found a 1990 prelude in the paper today that my wife is sort of interested in. The girl who owns it said the trans and alt belt have gone out. problem is she said it's a 1990 model, with a v teck motor in it. From what I can tell the 1990 preludes didn't come with a v teck. How do I tell for sure what motor it is? And how do i tell for sure what trans I need to order (she said it is an AT)

thanks ya'll

(sorry about the bad spelling, not sure why the server wont' let me use the proper motor name)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
as far as I know the 3rd gen ludes didn't come vtec, and an auto vtec lude didn't come til the 5th gen. I suppose it's possible that somebody swapped something in there, but there wouldn't be any reason to put a vtec motor in with an auto transmission.

if you look just below and to the left of the exhaust manifold, you should see some letters and numbers stamped on the block. Get that code and let us know what it is and we can tell you from there what's goin on.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
LMFAO- v teck-

Im sorry, but thats the first time that I was it misspelled like that!!!

LOL- its VTEC for future reference

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
rnstein69 said:
LMFAO- v teck-

VTACK YO!

~Peace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rnstein69 said:
LMFAO- v teck-

yea, i know it's spelled wrong, but for whatever reason when i spelled it vtec all i got was *****

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
afrookie said:
yea, i know it's spelled wrong, but for whatever reason when i spelled it vtec all i got was *****
cause your probably adding an h to the end?? like v t e c h
without spaces it would post as *****

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
a Vtec engine in a 3rd Gen car with automatic transmission is doable. Since like the guy says above, Vtec didn't came with auto tranny untill 1997... probably this girl didn't want to go through the hasle of converting it to manual transmission since she already had an automatic and just wanted to have a vtec engine in there.

My guess, that H22A (if she actually has it in there or even maybe a B16) has an Si or S automatic tranny. My advise... if the car is in gorgeous condition then converted yourself the way it has to be or just get a Prelude with a manual tranny in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, turns out it's a b21a1
she couldn't explain to me how she thought it was a *****

the crank pulley broke, never seen that before
anyway, the wife doesn't like it, so we passed.
i thought it was good for $300...

·
Registered
78 Posts
the bolt is pretty easy if you have an impact. but otherwise very difficult.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.