Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm working on a friends DX , the engine is sputtering when you step on the throttle (5 speed car) .
I replaced the fuel filter , spark plugs , and distributor cap and rotor .
I figured those would help but really did not .
If you step on the gas , it sputters and drops power until you ease off the throttle to near closed and then the car stops sputtering and slowly accelerates .
I thought of advancing the ignition timing since I have had a Nissan that did something similar but the dist. is turned to the farthest advanced setting already (yes I backed the timing down and sputter was the same) .
I disconnected the MAP sensor and the engine stalls . Bent the vacuum line to the sensor and then reved and the engine stalled so I assume the MAP is OK , unless it's reading wrong .
I don't know the test voltages for it ........
Disconnecting the TPS made no changes to accelerating and receiving a sputter , I also do not know the voltages for TPS tests .......

Very strange as it acts like a vacuum/timing issue to me but perhaps someone here had ad a car that acted like this one and can point me in the correct direction .

Thanks , Chris .
I'm working on a friends DX , the engine is sputtering when you step on the throttle (5 speed car) .
I replaced the fuel filter , spark plugs , and distributor cap and rotor .
I figured those would help but really did not .
If you step on the gas , it sputters and drops power until you ease off the throttle to near closed and then the car stops sputtering and slowly accelerates .
I thought of advancing the ignition timing since I have had a Nissan that did something similar but the dist. is turned to the farthest advanced setting already (yes I backed the timing down and sputter was the same) .
I disconnected the MAP sensor and the engine stalls . Bent the vacuum line to the sensor and then reved and the engine stalled so I assume the MAP is OK , unless it's reading wrong .
I don't know the test voltages for it ........
Disconnecting the TPS made no changes to accelerating and receiving a sputter , I also do not know the voltages for TPS tests .......

Very strange as it acts like a vacuum/timing issue to me but perhaps someone here had ad a car that acted like this one and can point me in the correct direction .

Thanks , Chris .
my 92 civic dx sedan has been doing the same i have a d15b in it and i changed sparkplugs ,distributor ,tps, map ,fuel filter. AND NOTHING i have had it i need help SOS haha

1 - 1 of 1 Posts