Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrite i got a 93 civic yesterday and its a d16z6 and i was wondering if it is supposed to be vtec or not because i looked at 2 yesterday and they both had a d16z6 motor but one had a vtec head and one didnt but i ended up wit the one wit a non vtec head but basically i was wondering if the one i got has had the head switched or wats going on and also wat will b the best performance parts that are cheap ive already ordered a short ram intake for it

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
just cause its doesnt say 'vtec' on the VALVE COVER doesnt mean it isnt vtec. d16z6=vtec. you have a VTEC HEAD, but the valve cover just doesnt say it. and trust me, both cars you looked at have vtec heads.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
patric_8332 said:
wat rpms should my vtec kick in i got stock exhaust so it is extremly quiet and i cant tell
You can't hear SOHC VTEC because you don't have secondary runners on your intake manifold. Are there any numbers on your head? Don't look at the valve cover. VTEC would be P28 and I think non VTEC would be P06.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
do you see a vtec solenoid? if so, its vtec. if not, you're SOL.

this is what it looks like and its located close to the distributor:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
if i remember correctly it should be in the left top corner of the valve cover (with you facing the motor). its very very close to the distributor. so if you know where the distributor is you cant miss the round cylindrical shape of the vtec solenoid.

·
·Àdministrator·
1,238 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
You can't hear SOHC VTEC because you don't have secondary runners on your intake manifold. Are there any numbers on your head? Don't look at the valve cover. VTEC would be P28 and I think non VTEC would be P06.
a lot of people say that, but yes, you can hear vtec in a z6, all you need is an intake.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
JDM_Honda said:
a lot of people say that, but yes, you can hear vtec in a z6, all you need is an intake.
Yep, not as apperant though.

flyingtoaster said:
You can't hear SOHC VTEC because you don't have secondary runners on your intake manifold.
That has nuthing to do with hearing VTEC, you can hear the secondary runners on the b18c's open up though.But listen to a B16, they don't have a secondary IM runner set up and you can hear it plane as day.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
i used to hear it hit on my z6 with just intake before i went turbo..now when i drive this 95 civic d15 with the same intake, i keep waiting to hear that crack at 5k but it isnt there :(

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
ATISTANG said:
Yep, not as apperant though.

That has nuthing to do with hearing VTEC, you can hear the secondary runners on the b18c's open up though.But listen to a B16, they don't have a secondary IM runner set up and you can hear it plane as day.
Neither does the ITR. It's just a more agressive IM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys been driving around tonight and i can tell when my vtec kicks in so i no now for sure its vtec lol it kickes in about 4500 or sumwhere rite around there cant wait till i get my intake tho so ill b able to hear it a lil bit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.