Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 155,000 mile 93 SI has gradually been using more & more antifreeze. It recently went through a quart in 600 miles. I have thouroughly inspected for leaks and can find none. Water pump is fairly new and no leak at the weep hole. No sign of antifreeze in oil, no foam in valve cover. No sign of antifreeze in the transmission fluid. No smoke or steam from exhaust. No antifreeze smell inside the car like a heater core leak.

The only thing I see is a very slight greenish tinge on all 4 spark plug ground electrodes. Is there a gasket some where or a known problem where antifreeze could be getting drawn in through the intake tract? The car is in great shape. I need to get this figured out before it gets worse. :confused

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
how the hell did you manage to post at exactly the same time on both posts? that just boggles my mind!! :eek

but since i posted i'll just throw this out there, i'm pretty sure that the greenish color you see on the sparkplugs is certainly not from antifreeze...i say that because there is no way in hell that shit burns and leaves behind a green residue. either way, if the car WERE in fact burning coolant you would see white smoke comming out the exhaust and you'd probably be able to smell it as well.

the only thing i can suggest is that you park the car for a day, on a clean surface and just let it sit. if there are any leaks you will be able to tell when you move the car and look at the spot where it was parked. if you see coolant than it's time to look harder for that leak. if you see nothing and you're still worried about it go to a shop and have them fuck with it.

like i said if the car isnt leaking or burning coolant and you're still having to add some then you've got some issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WillyG said:
how the hell did you manage to post at exactly the same time on both posts? that just boggles my mind!! :eek

but since i posted i'll just throw this out there, i'm pretty sure that the greenish color you see on the sparkplugs is certainly not from antifreeze...i say that because there is no way in hell that shit burns and leaves behind a green residue. either way, if the car WERE in fact burning coolant you would see white smoke comming out the exhaust and you'd probably be able to smell it as well.

the only thing i can suggest is that you park the car for a day, on a clean surface and just let it sit. if there are any leaks you will be able to tell when you move the car and look at the spot where it was parked. if you see coolant than it's time to look harder for that leak. if you see nothing and you're still worried about it go to a shop and have them fuck with it.

like i said if the car isnt leaking or burning coolant and you're still having to add some then you've got some issues.
To post at exactly the same time takes lots of practice and you have to be really good at it. :nod

I have been under the car a number of times and it never drips coolant. If it is not leaking, going into the oil or transmission fluid it IS going somewhere. I do not know of anywhere it can be going except into the combustion chamber or exhaust port downstream of the exhaust valve. ;)

I believe the leak is small enough now that no steam is seen. But it is not going to fix it's self and it needs to be fixed before it gets worse.

Thank you for your post but there is no reason to use foul language. :boo

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Dude, I got your solution. When this happens you can just tell by checking the reservoir bottle and it has decreased and no leaks right? Welllllllll..... ready? I beleive that your radiator cap is out of spec, once that isn't tight enough pressure is not maintained and it leaks gas not fluid pretty fast. So just check the cap if it is hard to get out check the spring and oil ring.

Just my 0.02 cents. :btu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Freakin'H22A said:
Dude, I got your solution. When this happens you can just tell by checking the reservoir bottle and it has decreased and no leaks right? Welllllllll..... ready? I beleive that your radiator cap is out of spec, once that isn't tight enough pressure is not maintained and it leaks gas not fluid pretty fast. So just check the cap if it is hard to get out check the spring and oil ring.

Just my 0.02 cents. :btu
I had not posted it but the radiator cap was new this spring. The top hose gets pretty stiff so it is building pressure.

I just ran a wide open throttle compression test last night. All cylinders were in the 190-195 psi range. I could not find the fuel pump fuse in either fuse box. So the readings might be a little high due to the fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.