Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, where i can get some information and proper adapters and so forth to play around with the ecu/ecm, also had another quick question
does anyone know what engines that are more powerfull then the stock b18 that comes with the integra that i can swap into the integra?, also another quick question is can i take a 96 obd2 ecu from another integra gsr and put it into mines replacing the 95 obd1 ecu?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I was wondering, where i can get some information and proper adapters and so forth to play around with the ecu/ecm, also had another quick question
does anyone know what engines that are more powerfull then the stock b18 that comes with the integra that i can swap into the integra?, also another quick question is can i take a 96 obd2 ecu from another integra gsr and put it into mines replacing the 95 obd1 ecu?
ECU:

Why do you want to play around with the ECU? Certain mods require that you re-tune the ECU for safe ignition and fuel maps. Only OBD1 ECUs can be modified (for the most part except for some K-Series I believe) because OBD2 ECUs are too strict emissions wise for us to play with. If you have an OBD2 ECU, you must procure an OBD1 ECU and an OBD2-to-OBD1 Conversion harness. Then you need to decide what programs/software/hardware you wish to tune with (That's a whole other discussion if you want to get into that).

Motor:

B18A, B18B, B18C1, B18C5.

Power-wise, the only notable motors are the Integra GSR (B18C1) and the Integra Type-R (B18C5). The B18C1 makes 170bhp and the B18C5 makes 195bhp...give or take a few horsepower for JDM/USDM/Australian etc. Both those motors utilize VTEC.

What kind of power are you looking for? Your stock B18B is very capable of making big numbers if you wish to go the turbo route (max 300whp on an un-modified engine internally). The other motors on just the motor top out at around 200-230whp if you want it to still be streetable.

More info on the reasonings behind your questions would be helpful.

As far as your ECU swapping...why do you want to go to the OBD2 ECU? Any P72 ECU would work in your car because only the P72 can control the valves in your GSR intake manifold. If you go with an aftermarket intake manifold, you could use most VTEC P ECUs...but they would have to be tuned so the ECU knows it is a B18C1 motor it's controlling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you happen to know where i can learn more about ecu tuning and rom editing etc?, and i went looked over at hondata but apperently all the honda stuff i see shows manual transmission only to mention i have a auto 95 gsr please let me know thanks

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
pgmfi.org • Index page

Hondata has kinda pissed off a lot of the DIY tuners in the Honda world lately, and other tuning programs like ECTune/Crome/Neptune/Uberdata etc. have really come into their own as more than acceptable ways of tuning our Honda ECUs. I only mentioned like 25% of the programs out there that can tune Honda ECUs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you happen to know of any good ecu tuning programs that offer similar functionalty or better then hondata such as being able to monitor car rpm speed etc, all while car is running and being able to tune and send the updates to ecm etc?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Programs like Crome and Uberdata by themselves are not live dataloggers. However, with add-ons like the "Ostrich" (sorry, I can't remember the company name, but I know I've been involved in discussions on this forum about it...just search) allow live datalogging.

Now, a local company where I live makes one of the best live datalogging programs in North America (we have companies like Nitrous Express come up to Canada just to use this stuff...but they also have dealers in the U.S.).

It's called FJO Racing (just search up on the net). They offer everything you could possibly have use for, for live datalogging. They do NOT offer tuning programs, but you can use whatever program you want once you have all the data that FJO gives. Right now, I have the FJO wideband AFR setup that I hook up to my laptop, and it spits out my AFR curves as a function of time. I could get the tachometer logger as well to get AFR as a function of RPM...and much more.

Now, Hondata does offer some of the best for all of the above for an all in one system. Check out the Hondata S300. No point in starting out with an Auto Tranny, Honda A/T just aren't up to the task of any kind of substantial power. Sell the car and buy a MT car, or swap in a MT.

Get in touch with SHO user 9400rpms. He's currently the most active "tuning" poster with lots of knowledge on this stuff as he tunes himself with Crome Pro...and is involved in new technology for live datalogging.

·
Registered
38 Posts
GSR ecu chips

Hey sorry to butt in, but I have a question, I have a 2000 civic si with a gsr engine in it, b18c1, and i was wondering what kind of ecu chip can i buy in order to gain more horse power and all that other stuff? and what would I need in order to do that? and would I need to tune anything? Thanks

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you don't have any mods, you don't need a chipped ECU. People chip and socket their ECUs so that once they have their mods, they can tune their Fuel and Ignition maps by putting new information onto these stock chips (or new chips, they're all the same if you're using software based tuning programs like Uberdata/Crome/others.....otherwise it's a new ECU that can do live tuning).

Only way to make power is to start modding in the direction of your choice (Mild Intake/Header/Exhaust, Full all motor build, Turbo, Supercharger, Nitrous). Once you begin doing that you will HAVE TO get tuned using your chipped ECU, and tuning software.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have um a aem v2 intake and i got some kind of headers, not sure what kind they are but they go from 4-1 and those are the only mods i have on it right now. I have another question, how would i know if i have an obd1 ecu or obd2 and would i be able to use a mugen p72 ecu chip on it? thanks

Sorry im just editing this post, I also have some aftermarket fuel rail and an aftermarket intake manifold on it....

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have um a aem v2 intake and i got some kind of headers, not sure what kind they are but they go from 4-1 and those are the only mods i have on it right now. I have another question, how would i know if i have an obd1 ecu or obd2 and would i be able to use a mugen p72 ecu chip on it? thanks

Sorry im just editing this post, I also have some aftermarket fuel rail and an aftermarket intake manifold on it....
You only need to look at tuning if you have enough mods that require more fuel than stock (most simply put...there are other factors of course). Your mods are probably giving you a 4-6whp gain.

If your ECU is stock, OBDII is 1996+. If your ECU is not stock, you would know by the pin configuration in the rear (there must be other ways, but I've never really looked closely at the differences between OBDI and OBDII circuits and chip placements). Just find pictures of OBD1 vs OBD2 (or pics of the conversion harness) and look at the back of your ECU.

As for that Mugen chip...I really don't know anything about it. Can you offer more info? It could be a good tuning tool, or it could be an eBay-esque "performance" chip that just changes a resistor, and dumps more fuel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
actually its just the ebay chip thingy i guess it gives more fuel and air or something like that. but aight thank you for the info :) oh and what can i do to my car to make it gain more power besides turboing it or super charging it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Search around the forum. You can build the head with a certain stage of cams and valvetrain, you can up the compression with higher comp pistons, get better Intake/Exhaust/Header to go with those....nitrous...

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
where are you located. i know sombody that could do custom rom burns for you for cheap if you live near philly

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
actually its just the ebay chip thingy i guess it gives more fuel and air or something like that. but aight thank you for the info :) oh and what can i do to my car to make it gain more power besides turboing it or super charging it.
umm you can't do anything to your car that will give you substantial power gains that will be cheaper than a turbo or supercharger. if you want cheap n/a power you have the wrong motor. the best gains you'll see that won't break the bank will be cams. i/h/e are almost worthless without supporting mods on most hondas. and you just can't throw an ecu at it meant for another car and expect to see any improvements. honestly the cheapest reliable power you will see is a turbo or supercharger. just tune and you'll be fine. would you rather spend 2 thousand dollars to make 220whp sooner or spend 2000 dollars to make 180 whp much later in the power band.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I'm thinking of JRSC...:ninja

1 - 20 of 26 Posts