Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I wanted some opinions about the 1gen B16. I have 1 in my 91 civic si. I have I,E,H & chipped pr3 ecu. What I wanted to know was if I was to upgrade my head with some cams/valves etc. Could that be enough to run with a stock 06 Si. If so what kind of head work you recommend . It a a DD.
Just wanted some advice on what parts you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You would need more then just head work. K20's have considerably more torque then a B16. You would have to up your compression ratio, go aftermarket or pic up a set of CTR pistons. Then you'll need for head work, a nice port job, stage 2 cams with supporting valvetrain, larger intake and throttlebody, a nice header back exhaust system, and possibly a fuel delivery upgrade.

Now with a B18 bottom end, it's a little less work and the B18's produce some decent torque that the B16's just don't.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
Yeah, I wanted some opinions about the 1gen B16. I have 1 in my 91 civic si. I have I,E,H & chipped pr3 ecu. What I wanted to know was if I was to upgrade my head with some cams/valves etc. Could that be enough to run with a stock 06 Si. If so what kind of head work you recommend . It a a DD.
Just wanted some advice on what parts you recommend?

Thanks
they would still be on par with a b18b with the same amount of work. you will get beat by a bolton k20. k20's will put down over 200whp with very little work done and they have a close ratio 6 speed. b16's are meh.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a ? with a 1gen b16. I want to order a aem intake for my 91 civic si. What motor should I order for . 91 si with the D16 or 90-93 Integra.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
If u wanna get that torque up stroke it and u don't have to buy a stroker kit to do it... oem gsr crank, b17a rods need to get thoughs shaved and speced to gsr rod specs shot peened w arp rod bolts and ull have to get the 95mm stroker pistons for the b18c where the rist pin is moved 3mm up (82mm)...gives u 1842cc. Now well this is wat I'm currently building and the only thing that im not sure on yet is if the rod will clear the bottom of the cylinder wall if not I'm gonna have to notch it but it wouldn't be much if any.... So w that and I'm goin w a c5 head built well it will go on stock for now and ill build the head sometime in the summer but I hope to make some good power....

·
Registered
25 Posts
The reason for as some would say wasting my money on this which I'm not really spending that much except when I do the head work which any head work is generally expensive, is that I wanna do something different, I like different and I've never really heard of anything like this, something close which gave me the idea..... And I have been doin a lot of research on this but also I've had this motor for ever and i just can't get rid of it so im goin crazy w it lol. And finally I just wanna kinda prove or show as u will that the b16a can indeed be built for great power w/o putting holes in ur pockets! Just remember the b16a block holds a record for b-series n/a motors running a 11.27 1/4 w 267whp at least it did for many yrs and i believe it still does

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
The reason for as some would say wasting my money on this which I'm not really spending that much except when I do the head work which any head work is generally expensive, is that I wanna do something different, I like different and I've never really heard of anything like this, something close which gave me the idea..... And I have been doin a lot of research on this but also I've had this motor for ever and i just can't get rid of it so im goin crazy w it lol. And finally I just wanna kinda prove or show as u will that the b16a can indeed be built for great power w/o putting holes in ur pockets! Just remember the b16a block holds a record for b-series n/a motors running a 11.27 1/4 w 267whp at least it did for many yrs and i believe it still does
any motor can be built to be fast. others get their cheaper.

who cares about the block holding a record when it most likely wasn't even a 1.6 liter anymore. especially when you said they essentially share the same bock as the rest of the b-series motors. i'm pretty sure there are faster all motor b-series out there than a b16. even bisi is running faster times with single cams.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
If u wanna get that torque up stroke it and u don't have to buy a stroker kit to do it... oem gsr crank, b17a rods need to get thoughs shaved and speced to gsr rod specs shot peened w arp rod bolts and ull have to get the 95mm stroker pistons for the b18c where the rist pin is moved 3mm up (82mm)...gives u 1842cc. Now well this is wat I'm currently building and the only thing that im not sure on yet is if the rod will clear the bottom of the cylinder wall if not I'm gonna have to notch it but it wouldn't be much if any.... So w that and I'm goin w a c5 head built well it will go on stock for now and ill build the head sometime in the summer but I hope to make some good power....
now that sounds like a nice build. what kind of power are you expecting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well w the bottom end like that and a built head to be honest I don't really kn ow wat to expect cause I have no real reference to compare but anywhere from 220 to 250 hp.... This is more of an experiment then any so ill be just happy to get it running lol it will go in a crx so my power to weight ratio will be great.... And darkness I absolutely agree u can build any b motor to make great power and some r cheaper but the statement was geared more towards how u can do it to a b16a for cheaper then u think.... And to clarify the b16 and b17 share the same block not the b18 which is a taller block which makes it easier to make torque cause of the displacement.... So for a b16/b17 to make power it takes a little more planning and for me its one of thoughs things that inspire me to do it because a lot of people say don't waste ur time cause u won't make power.... I was more or less just putting that out there cause i saw someone mention they think the b17 has a bigger bore but there all the same.... Except the b20!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now the head I'm not really sure wat I'm gonna do yet cause Im not sure wat my p2v clearance will be.... Once I get the bottom end in ill figure it out... Would be cool to put some toda spec c's in.... But probably won't happen... Any ideas????

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
Well w the bottom end like that and a built head to be honest I don't really kn ow wat to expect cause I have no real reference to compare but anywhere from 220 to 250 hp.... This is more of an experiment then any so ill be just happy to get it running lol it will go in a crx so my power to weight ratio will be great.... And darkness I absolutely agree u can build any b motor to make great power and some r cheaper but the statement was geared more towards how u can do it to a b16a for cheaper then u think.... And to clarify the b16 and b17 share the same block not the b18 which is a taller block which makes it easier to make torque cause of the displacement.... So for a b16/b17 to make power it takes a little more planning and for me its one of thoughs things that inspire me to do it because a lot of people say don't waste ur time cause u won't make power.... I was more or less just putting that out there cause i saw someone mention they think the b17 has a bigger bore but there all the same.... Except the b20!
it's not power that people have a problem with..it's the tq....dyno queen hp aka (hp/liter) is for sheer bragging rights. you find that most people that own b16's only ever talk about hp/liter but lose to bolt on cavaliers. not all but most. probably because most people that own b16's are in the younger crowd and can't afford anything else. (again i'm not talking about yourself)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed the youngsters just think differently then us or the older generation not saying I'm old (83) but ya hopefully at least my main goal is to get the tq up on the little guy... Can't wait to really get started on this... After Christmas.... Have two kids so w presents and bills I'm gonna wait until after... I'm in no rush w this one ya know....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea!, I was just asking about could I keep up with a stock 06 up Si & ordering a aem intake. I have no problem w/ my B16. Yes it don't have alot of tq. I jsut want a lil more from the B16. I also have a gsr& I can tell the difference of my B18C1 & B16. My B16 on a open road takes a long time to get to 120. Where's my gsr will hit 140 easy.More top end.I've only done it once.Gsr need work anyway.
So 1day I might have my rides complete like I want. Mortgage comes 1st. Can't live in a car..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts