Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.3 VTEC....Will this work in my 94 acord ex????

And also what is the engine code, year these were made, obd 1 , II, III????

What do i need to make this work...and how much for the motor?? I will prolly be doing this myself.....I have done many motor swaps on VW's and american cars...so this will be my first Honda swap.

Help me out......THANKS!!!

P:S- about how much H/p and torque????

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
yes it will work.

or you can get an H22a. including the transmission, ecu and other things will cost you around $2000~2500. check out jdmhondaparts.com for general idea and info.

·
Registered
498 Posts
this is what some ppl call the frankenstein swap. you'll need parts from two motors. the head from the h22a to give you vtec, and the block from the h23a to give you your 2.3l. yes it works, but it's very problem prone from what i've heard from ppl who have done it. costs lots too. just go w/ the h22a.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No I believe he is not referring to the frankienswap but an F23A SOHC Accord engine from the Gen 5 CL and Gen 6 Accord into a Gen 5 Accord. This swap is straight forward all the parts should interchange directly into your car. Any parts you need can be found on the Gen 5 96-98 Cl coupe. you may even be able to run the wireing harness for the Vtec directly from this car. If you are a 2.2vtec car there is no point to this swap.

I would get the 96-97 CL Helm Manual and the one for your car and you should be able to do this with our much incedent.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrChad said:
No I believe he is not referring to the frankienswap but an F23A SOHC Accord engine from the Gen 5 CL and Gen 6 Accord into a Gen 5 Accord. This swap is straight forward all the parts should interchange directly into your car. Any parts you need can be found on the Gen 5 96-98 Cl coupe. you may even be able to run the wireing harness for the Vtec directly from this car. If you are a 2.2vtec car there is no point to this swap.

I would get the 96-97 CL Helm Manual and the one for your car and you should be able to do this with our much incedent.

Nah, I know there would be no point....But thanks for trying to help me out at least. I want to go DOHC

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the h23a is a dohc vtec engine found in 1998 and newer accord SiR sportier wagons. it has 163ft/lbs of torque and 197 hp.

its cheaper and easier to get an h22a since they ahve teh same peak power and only 2 ft/lbs less torque.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
v4lu3s said:
the h23a is a dohc vtec engine found in 1998 and newer accord SiR sportier wagons. it has 163ft/lbs of torque and 197 hp.

its cheaper and easier to get an h22a since they ahve teh same peak power and only 2 ft/lbs less torque.

Thanks buddy..that changed my mind....Just thought about being different by having the 2.3 VTEC in the Accord, since I have never heard or seen one in a accord here.

Plus I thought I wouldn't really need to go turbo with the 2.3, but now I will with the 2.2DOHC....

But now......What about this??

What is BETTER for a turbo?? 2.2 SOHC or a 2.2 DOHC VTEC's??

I need that POWER to the wheels..... ADVICE anyone????

·
Registered
649 Posts
turbos go well w/ DOHC VTEC motors, ask some Teg & Si owners. you can adjust the exhaust cam to dial out the overlap as well as the massive aftermarket support.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
XxACCORD94JxX said:
Plus I thought I wouldn't really need to go turbo with the 2.3, but now I will with the 2.2DOHC....
what makes you say that? that .1 increase in displacement will not make the same amount of power as a turbo.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
VTECseoul said:
turbos go well w/ DOHC VTEC motors, ask some Teg & Si owners. you can adjust the exhaust cam to dial out the overlap as well as the massive aftermarket support.
???!!!!! VTEC has high compression!!! turbos want LOW compression...VTEC + turbo is okay...focus on top speed...but NON vtec = low compression and low compression + turbo = better reliability at higher boost levels, or more low end power w/ turbo to help acceleration.

btw: h22 from prelude type s puts out 220hp and 167ft.lbs i think. the h23vtec comes from 6th gen wagon in japan.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
???!!!!! VTEC has high compression!!! turbos want LOW compression...VTEC + turbo is okay...focus on top speed...but NON vtec = low compression and low compression + turbo = better reliability at higher boost levels, or more low end power w/ turbo to help acceleration.
turbo with a vtec engine is fine. tuning is the key to the reliability of any boosted engine, vtec or not. and high boost levels result in turbo lag, which won't help in acceleration.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
uhm...that was supposed to be two different statements separated by "or" and i didn't say that it would be bad to have turbo and vtec, shit, i might put turbo on my h22...anyways what i was trying to get at is it's a biattcchh tryin to get reliability from a high compression, high boost vtec motor. if you have a lot of time to dyno and tune, you could get a good, reliable daily driven boosted vtec motor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
v4lu3s said:

besides, the H23 VTEC costs between 3500-4500 depending on where u buy it from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts