Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thing is amazing. and i haven't really even pushed it. after work 4am saturday morning i went straight to DE to pick up the cherry picker, got home around 9am and went straight to work. by 4 o'clock i had the motor in and running.

i coated the cylinders with 20/50 oil and this coated my o2 sensor pretty bad. tripped an MIL and she went full lean in closed loop. i wasn't sure what to do cause i know its not to be touched, but i pulled the sensor and wiped it a little. after a couple cycles the MIL went away and normal variations in a/f came back.

anywho, on initial test drive i had a little miss, but nothing really bad. i just bought a cap and rotor today, which i'll put on after this post. after i put about 30 miles on her (yea yea, i know, my godson was being born so i had to go) i pushed a lil harder on her. from a cruise in 1st gear @ 2k i punched it till about 6k...she was chirpin bad the whole way up. needless to say i had a big ass grin on my face. but then again my tires are wasting. heh:D

anywho, im looking to get her on the dyno in the next couple weeks. i need an aem fuel rail so if you're selling hit me up.

i also had a lil 4k+ grind in 3rd gear. i took the tranny apart and grinded the teeth on the 3/4 syncro and 1/2. no more grind:D :D

yo after 2 months im so happy to get in this car again and go. i am one happy ass prelude owner:)

v

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I didnt know if that trick with the synchros that you did would work, i was considering doing that to my 3rd gear synchro when i had my tranny out with the shell apart too. But time ran out so i had to put it back in. I am going to rebuild my entire transmission some day within 3 years.

BTW its a 2.2L not a 2.3;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H22 Bastard said:
I didnt know if that trick with the synchros that you did would work, i was considering doing that to my 3rd gear synchro when i had my tranny out with the shell apart too. But time ran out so i had to put it back in. I am going to rebuild my entire transmission some day within 3 years.

BTW its a 2.2L not a 2.3;)
im sorry sir, but YOU are mistaken. its a 2.3vtec :D:D:D
http://community.webshots.com/album/47481978AOjThI
http://community.webshots.com/album/43165424SOVvtI
towards the end i got anxious and forgot to take pictures:p

v

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
93si4ws said:
im sorry sir, but YOU are mistaken. its a 2.3vtec :D:D:D
http://community.webshots.com/album/47481978AOjThI
http://community.webshots.com/album/43165424SOVvtI
towards the end i got anxious and forgot to take pictures:p

v
OH ok now i remeber you posting somewhere i think here or po.com with your engine taken apart, but i havent seen the finished pics, which i just looked at.. So.. frankenstein motor? 2.2VTEC head on 2.3Si block.. How did that go? Did you do all the work? like drilling new holes for oil passage?

BTW, looks good, raced any body yet? when is your next track day?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) yea i was postin EVERYWHERE.

na its a longblock jdm 2.2vtec stroked out to 2.3. i took a 2.3 block i got from dennis(dflipmode in NJ) and used the rods/crank. type s pistons and a nice balance job. other than machine work i did everything else. ok my pops operated the cherry picker as i guided the motor:D

v

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok ok, before anyone else asks:

jdm 2.2 vtec longblock
2.3 crankshaft
2.3 rods - shotpeened/magnafluxed
jdm type s .25mm os pistons/pistons/rings
honda of japan main/rod bearing updates
2.3 balancer
clutchmasters flywheel
act pressure plate
all this balanced within .5grams

venom cam gears
dc ceramic 4.2.1
weapon r short ram
hyper industries guaze filter
rc flowed jdm injectors
msd sci-L
msd wires
msd blaster II
ngk 1-step plugs
aem alt pulley
pcv bypass tank

and yet to put in the greddy pe and test pipe

i believe thats about it motor/power-wise. well, there's also the jdm p13 tranny without lsd. so there, before anyone else asks me....:)

v

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Arent the synchros like a screw , it would be pretty hard I bet to grind them back....

Also I was wondering about the swap as well , what was needed to get it to work? Did you say you didnt use the block , just the internals? So its still all a 2.2motor just a 2.3 crank/rods. Are the pistons bigger? I think ive seen the oversized jdm pistons. I really didnt understand there use except if you bored over? One final questions , whats with the jdm injectors any difference than the usdm or were you just including that because of the jdm motor?

Either way sounds nice , would like to also see some dynos.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
syncros are basically straight cut. the teeth just get worn and miss-shapen(sp?) i grinded the teeth just enough that the assembly would slide smoothly. i haven't exactly taken the motor too high so i can't vouch for the tranny just yet. but as before anything above 4k would grind third.

yea i used the 2.2 block, but it wouldn't have mattered since they are the same. no oil jets, piston touched the jet before btdc. the pistons are .25mm oversized. and the injectors were flowed at RC to 358cc's. i dunno why i put them in the list. if you like i'll remove them :)

ya i'd like to see dynos too. hopefully soon.

v

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had to rebuild anyways. compression was all over and low end torque was almost non existant. a lil preventative maintenance for her. and it wasn't all that much work. figure most of the money went into basic parts on the timing end of the motor which we all HAVE to do at one moment and time.

v

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok lets see:

2.3 block 250
type s pistons/rings 220
oe rod bolts 60
update main/rod bearings 150
oil pump 140
water pump 75
t/b belts 75
headgasket 50
oil pan gasket 13
balancer bolt 20

bore/hone 85
balance 130
shotpeen/magnaflux 70

i think thats it. whats that? i suck at math

v

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh of course you dont need to do all of these, but with unknown mileage on the jdm motor i wanted to be sure its all ok.

but here's my theory on the 2.3 block 2.2 head, instead of buying all new pulleys and gears etc for 2.2 vtec...why not just replace the 2.2vtec cam gears with 2.3 gears...minimal investment and added option to get adjustables. so say 150 - 200 for a set of gears and 55 for a headgasket. there you go. cheap 2.3vtec. hot long a build like that will last i dunno. and how long a build like mine will last i dunno either...but i'll let you know :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get this thing on the dyno, I wonder at what rpm the power will peak out?! I assume you can't rev it much higher either. How did you go about the piston oil squirters?

I'm in need of VTEC injectors would be able to hook me up since I see you are using RC injectors that is if the engine is 4th gen?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oil jets had to be removed. the pistons would touch them before btdc.

the injectors im using are my factory jdm vtec units. they were flowed by RC to 358cc's. sorry i only have extra 2.3 injectors.

v

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
93si4ws said:
oil jets had to be removed. the pistons would touch them before btdc.
If you want your motor to last long, you should not ever go low on oil, not even 1 quart low, cause the oil jets help lubricate the crankshaft at high rpms, since VTEC uses oil pressure to activcate it, so it will take some oil away at high rpm as VTEC is activated. But im sure your motor doesnt burn oil at all anymore since you put in new rings. But still.. check the oil to ensure youre not running low.

·
Registered
63 Posts
H22 Bastard said:
If you want your motor to last long, you should not ever go low on oil, not even 1 quart low, cause the oil jets help lubricate the crankshaft at high rpms, since VTEC uses oil pressure to activcate it, so it will take some oil away at high rpm as VTEC is activated. But im sure your motor doesnt burn oil at all anymore since you put in new rings. But still.. check the oil to ensure youre not running low.
Are you talking about the piston oil jets!?, those have nothing to do with crankshaft. They are there to cool the pistons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.