Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 civic ex with a bone stock D16y8... I'm a college student on a budget, I love the gas mileage, and I'm not particularly concerned with an engine swap or forced induction. I don't really have any desire to race, but I'd like a little extra kick to be there when I need it. I'm talking 20, 30 hp increase, tops... what's the best way to go about achieving that? And what kind of increase should I expect from a simple CAI, header, and cat back combo? Also, as far as the exhaust, how big of difference would it make between simply buying a high flow cat and a muffler and going with the stock pipes as opposed to purchasing a full cat back system?

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
griffin_te; said:
yeah, that was an accident. my computer is lagging like crazy and i closed the window thinking it hadn't gone through
no big deal man. just letting you know in case you thought it would be good to have it in 2 forums.

·
Registered
87 Posts
there isnt really any real cheap and easy way to get 20-30 horse.. i mean i have a custom turbo set up and my own tune on my ecu so im only like $300 deep into this set up, probably like an extra 25 horse from that.

you will probably see 10-12 horse from the exhaust, intake, and header. i would NOT throw a muffler and high flow cat on a stock exhaust, all you'll get from that is alot of sound and NO performance. get an entire exhaust, or get one made at your local muffler shop if your on a real budget.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the only way i know to get that without major mods is hondata..............but thats just my opinion b/c its a vtec motor ....it can be expensive but its worth it ......

·
Registered
401 Posts

What is a hondata gonna do for him? He doesn't have any mods on the car yet. A IHE is gonna be your best bet on a budget. 10-15hp at most - a MSD would help out too - Not sure on what kind of numbers but they due put some more power to the ground. Other than that your gonna spend some big money and ruin any sort of economy you might have - even with a tune everything from that point down will probably negatively effect your fuel economy.
HENRY

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
intake header exhaust will get you 10 hp, roughly, as previously stated. wait til your out of college, then swap + boost. :eek:

·
Registered
754 Posts
buy the biggest wing you can, along with high performance carbon fiber windshield wipers, plus some awesome neon lights, also you know those semi exhaust, just buy a couple feet of that and weld that on you stock exhaust. that combo minus tuning should give you like 30,000 hp. just beware of haterz:ghey:

·
Registered
44 Posts
What is a hondata gonna do for him? He doesn't have any mods on the car yet. A IHE is gonna be your best bet on a budget. 10-15hp at most - a MSD would help out too - Not sure on what kind of numbers but they due put some more power to the ground. Other than that your gonna spend some big money and ruin any sort of economy you might have - even with a tune everything from that point down will probably negatively effect your fuel economy.
HENRY
what is hondadta going to do????huh thats weird cause the last time i remember they do alot ..........i have a friend with a coup that tuned his d15b to run prety damn well so i know handata can do alot with out mods

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
what is hondadta going to do????huh thats weird cause the last time i remember they do alot ..........i have a friend with a coup that tuned his d15b to run prety damn well so i know handata can do alot with out mods
that must have been a rocket
d15b with hondata ~ :scary
no sense even put real powers on, like a turbo

·
Registered
156 Posts
buy the biggest wing you can, along with high performance carbon fiber windshield wipers, plus some awesome neon lights, also you know those semi exhaust, just buy a couple feet of that and weld that on you stock exhaust. that combo minus tuning should give you like 30,000 hp. just beware of haterz:ghey:
hahahaha!!
seriosly though, on a d series an intake header exhaust combo will make some power, but allot more noise. trust me, i know, im running it myself. rather then spend money on that, do suspension work, that makes hondas fun!! get some good wheels and tires, then some coilovers or a shock/spring combo and enjoy not having to slow down around corners!! thats fun! if you want power, either do a cheap swap like a b18 or a b20. that will be a good starting point and if your car makes it though college you can boost it and have real fun!! just my suggestion though...

·
Registered
156 Posts
haha!! 100 posts!

·
Registered
44 Posts
good point i live in a really remote area were there isnt a straight rode to really open any car up on so corners are fun i would rather build a car for corners then to go fast in a straight line i have kyb's..and nitto's so i have alot of fun

·
Registered
132 Posts
hahahaha!!
seriosly though, on a d series an intake header exhaust combo will make some power, but allot more noise. trust me, i know, im running it myself. rather then spend money on that, do suspension work, that makes hondas fun!! get some good wheels and tires, then some coilovers or a shock/spring combo and enjoy not having to slow down around corners!! thats fun! if you want power, either do a cheap swap like a b18 or a b20. that will be a good starting point and if your car makes it though college you can boost it and have real fun!! just my suggestion though...
:clappy i just did a LS swap (i'm in college too) and its pretty fun with just I/H/E i'd say start with that and then when u get out of school you'll have a decent plant to do whatever you want LS/VTEC, turbo, all motor whatever

1 - 18 of 18 Posts