Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 civic dx and the car won't start. The engine cranks when I try to start, but it doesn't fire. I replaced the spark plugs, and spark plug wires. I checked to make sure the spark plugs "spark", and they do. I believe fuel gets in b\c when i removed the spark plugs to check for spark; i could see gas on them.

The car started fine before I replaced the spark plug wires. I replaced them b\c the car was misfiring (the car would stutter when I step on the gas. like it was trying to go).

Also before this i had a bad o2 sensor so i replaced it. While doing so I noticed that the intake manifold where the o2 sensor was there was a crack in it. I don't know if that would affect the car from not starting b\c the car started before with the crack in it. But when I try to start the car I can see black smoke coming from the crack.

Please help!!

· Registered
496 Posts
okay listen closely. get a tow strap, and buddy with a larger truck, a case or two of beer and problem solved, not to mention you will have thoes hybrids beat on gas mileage.

other then that. id say replace the cracked item emitting smoke!

· Registered
1,993 Posts
i didnt know o2 sensors were in the IM..:hehe

Your timing is probably off, or wires mixed up.
Then check fuel pressure.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Would the timing messed up if I didn't touch anything that deals with timing? The only thing i did was change the wires and spark plugs.
most likely not.. your problem is most likely the plugs and/or wires are out of order. i forget off the top of my head what the order is, but it has it in the manual.

· Registered
13 Posts
On a 2000 DX the O2 sensor is on the front of the EXHAUST manifold. I bet you have a fouled out O2 sensor. I have/had a small crack right where the O2 sensor screws into the manifold under the heat shield. When it fouled out I had horrible gas mileage then it just wouldn't crank over. If you have checked the spark plug wires and they are in the right order go ahead and swap out the O2 sensor. It will take you about 45 minutes tops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.