Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup
2000 prelude base
I/H/E/
dyno Tuned VAFC (Running Rich while on Nitrous for Safety) around 11 a/f
ACT clutch and lightened flywheel
MSD SCI Ignition w/ blaster 2 and ngk blue wires
new Zex Spark Plugs
Zex Wet kit currently running 55 shot about 6 bottles in a couple years no problem
Dynotune bottle heater
did compression check before putting the 55 shot in, and will be doing another one before using the 75 shot
I will also be changing the fuel filter and adding a fuel gauge to make sure the pressure is up to par. Don't believe I need an fpr, but I could be wrong.

What I'm doing
want to increase to the 75 shot with the zex kit
got msd 8982 start/retard controller to retard timing 3 deg while on the juice
got msd 8969 digital rpm window switch to keep traction and cut of juice before the rev limiter

Wondering what the opinions are about how safe this will be and any other suggestions I should use to increase my odds of success. This is a daily driver and my baby, I just want more power safely.
If I had the extra money I would upgrade the fuel system, but from what I hear that is not necessary with the ludes until 100 shot.
Will probobly get a fuel safety switch and new high flow fuel pump as well as

any opinions would be great
Thanks in Advance

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Sounds relatively safe to me..Personally I'd throw a fpr on it jsut to say i did for added tunability with the kit but it isnt mandatory..I'm not a fan of electronics on a nitrous kit but thats me..alot of people like it, but I'm not one to trust a microchip and some wire with my motor. as far as odds for success...as long a syou take the proper precautions, which it appears you are, then i'd say your odds are pretty good.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought about the fpr, I'd rather get the fuel pump for now, and get the fpr in the near future. It runs pretty rich on that 55 shot, so I'm sure I will be fine upping to the 75 shot. There is no other way to retard the timing on the 5th gen besides using electronics. I am going to do a run, pull the plugs, and repeat a couple of times to make sure I'm not detonating or running too rich. I will get a fp gauge to make sure my flow is suffiecient for now. I would take it to the dyno, but the guys around here are dicks with crappy customer service so I refuse to use them. I will probably get it to the dyno a little ways from here in the future.

Thanks for the reply, anything else you suggest will be taken into consideration
I appreciate it.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Yeah, I thought about the fpr, I'd rather get the fuel pump for now, and get the fpr in the near future. It runs pretty rich on that 55 shot, so I'm sure I will be fine upping to the 75 shot. There is no other way to retard the timing on the 5th gen besides using electronics. I am going to do a run, pull the plugs, and repeat a couple of times to make sure I'm not detonating or running too rich. I will get a fp gauge to make sure my flow is suffiecient for now. I would take it to the dyno, but the guys around here are dicks with crappy customer service so I refuse to use them. I will probably get it to the dyno a little ways from here in the future.

Thanks for the reply, anything else you suggest will be taken into consideration
I appreciate it.
I dont mind doing a retard function electronically..i use an msd digital 6 ignition for that..i'm talking nitrous control..like the window switches and the like..

as far as fuel pumps go..dotn buy a small pump..jsut go for the walbro 255 or comparable...because its not going to hurt anything by going that big..and you should never have to upgrade...unless of course you go real big with the motor

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
It has worked well for me so far, but I understand where you are coming from. I will go ahead and spend the money on the fuel pump for assurance.

Thanks again
like i said..a lot of people like it..just personally i dont...good luck :btu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.